Society's view on food

Options

Replies

• MrsMohawk
    MrsMohawk Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    love4fitness, Don't even waist your breath. Roadster don't see the fact that she is being rude

Roadster- I feel for You're co-worker. She's probably a nice lady who was embarrassed of her treats on her plate so she rambled about liking chocolate. It's a shame that from you coming being former obese you don't have a heart for others who went tho your situation before losing weight. This is my 2nd time around on losing weight . It came back and now I'm losing it again . So be-careful what you say about others and being judgmental.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much, NewLifeStyle! *hugs!*
  • RoadsterGirlie
    Options
    Did I call this woman out by name and point at her? No. I don't even know her name (works in a different office).

I posted about something I experienced yesterday at my office. Basically I was "thinking out loud" on a message board.

As if none of you have had harsh thoughts about somebody else and didn't say it out loud.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely going to reflect on this thread because what seemed (and still seems) pretty innocuous to me has really offended several people. I regret my sarcastic tone in the thread. This will be food for thought. No puns intended.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    Options
    People find the word obese as a description offensive, even if it's not directed at them.

Even though it's used by the CDC, AMA, and other medical communities.
  • small_ninja
    small_ninja Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to go into all the nit-picky details about tone/choice of words etc used by OP.

As for society's view on food, I do agree that society's view of food is skewed and it makes it harder to embark on a healthy diet/lifestyle. For example, my dad makes fun of me when I weigh my food to get portion sizes right because it looks weird (and he thinks it's going down the "disordered eating" slope).

Or you feel strange when everyone wants to order a pizza and you're like, "Nah, I won't have any, I'll just have some tuna salad."

Or when everyone wants to go out drinking and you feel bad when people buy you high calorie drinks because you don't really want them, but you drink them anyway not to be rude and then feel a little crappy about it later.

You also feel like people are constantly asking if you'd like sweets/junk food.

But I think you have to remember that the people that offer this stuff aren't all out there to sabotage you, they're trying to be generous and we've all been guilty of it ourselves. In fact, I baked gingerbread cookies the other day and took some into class to share with the people I sit with. I had no idea if they were on diets or anything - should I not have taken any in out of fear that they might have been?

Of course, there's a slight caveat to this in that some people aren't just being generous, and they want to convince you to partake so they don't feel guilty about doing so themselves.

*ramble ramble ramble* :tongue:
  • RoadsterGirlie
    Options
    Thanks small_ninja. That's all I was trying to say.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Crazy talk. I always eat the office sweets! Its okay every once in a while, just don't eat sweets during your regular day and it won't even cause a little ding in your diet.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    Options
    Nothing wrong with every once in awhile, Victoria. I have sweets too in moderation. My favorite is apple pie and ice cream.

That said, I plan out everything I eat day by day, so I can have the treats I really, really want and enjoy them immensely. I generally like to have them as a night time snack so that I feel like I've "earned" them.
  • HazenAllen
    HazenAllen Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Its hilarious how people who have found success turn into elitist, condescending hypocrites. They were probably the ones pissing and moaning about how terrible other people were to them, then they turn around and do it to others. I find that really ironic, honestly. If anything, you should try to help people who aren't healthy, and be more positive, instead of picking fun and being condescending towards them because they haven't made the steps to make a healthier lifestyle for themselves, if they even want to, if they are happy being overweight, more power to them. Nothing should give you the right to act like you're better than people just because of what you eat. Its really unfortunate people think like this.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    My perspective is that acknowledging someone is hugely obese is a valid observation. Noting them overindulge in food and profess their love for it - also an observation. Reflecting on those observations and feeling validated in one's own - alternate - choices seems reasonable to me.
    Relating those observations, while protecting anonymity of the observed, in a broader piece of writing about our society's conventions about food and obesity and acceptable behavior also seems reasonable to me.

Now I just have to figure out why OP is a "judgemental" "b*tch".
  • RoadsterGirlie
    Options
    LOL emany. Thanks! As you noticed, I did not post a picture of her, or name names. I simply identified her as a her doctor would have identified her - obese.

I am not an elitist b****.

I'm really not, and I would love to help people, if only they would follow my advice. Some do - most do not though and it gets frustrating.
  • plaingirly
    Options
    I find it tough working in an office - there is so much temptation! Plus everyone seems to have an opinion on MY lunch! :smile:

No comments when I ate a lot of unhealthy stuff but loads of comments when I am spotted eating a salad! Apparently I will never lose weight, never keep it off and will end up with an eating disorder. I am just aiming to be healthy and strong! No skinny minnie aspirations.

In the last week people have had fish and chips, cake, various sweets, cupcakes and bacon sandwiches. Major test of my willpower especially as I was only on week 2!

It is like there is a status quo in the office where people are all contented to stay the same as long as everyone else does too.

I wouldn't criticise someone eating unhealthy food as I have eaten badly for years and it isn't up to me to police what others eat.
  • HazenAllen
    HazenAllen Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    LOL emany. Thanks! As you noticed, I did not post a picture of her, or name names. I simply identified her as a her doctor would have identified her - obese.

I am not an elitist b****.

I'm really not, and I would love to help people, if only they would follow my advice. Some do - most do not though and it gets frustrating.

Doctors identify their overweight patients as "HUGELY OBESE" and "validate" themselves on why they don't partake in the consumption of junk food? Please.

I don't believe you're a "B****" so to say, but you do come across as extremely judgmental, which may or may not of been your intention. People make mistakes, but that could of been worded way more kindly and positively. Its good that you find motivation out of others downfalls I guess, I don't think it would hurt to be a bit nicer and find validation in not eating junk outside of the "HUGELY OBESE" woman eating a plateful of sweets. That seemed like the closing point of your entire topic, which usually leaves the most lasting impression upon the reader.

I think you just came across in a negative way, unintentionally perhaps. Otherwise, congrats on your success and I hope you find more people to motivate and help out :).
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    My perspective is that acknowledging someone is hugely obese is a valid observation. Noting them overindulge in food and profess their love for it - also an observation. Reflecting on those observations and feeling validated in one's own - alternate - choices seems reasonable to me.
    Relating those observations, while protecting anonymity of the observed, in a broader piece of writing about our society's conventions about food and obesity and acceptable behavior also seems reasonable to me.

Now I just have to figure out why OP is a "judgemental" "b*tch".

That's what I got. She didn't say she saw an obese woman with a tray of junk food and called her a fat cow or commented on her poor food choices. The OP merely said it made her glad she made the choice she did which seems a perfectly legitimate thing to be thinking.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    Options
    Thanks Mokey. :)

If anybody ever has questions for me in real life (or on the Internet for that matter), I am only too eager to share what I've done and how I've done it, and offer advice.

However, when I am asked about it, I have found people want the results, but don't want to put in the work. It's frustrating when you've gone out of your way to help them, even putting together a meal plan for them and they won't follow it.

Out of the 100s of people who have asked me how I did it, wanting the same results for themselves, I can think of only maybe 2 people that actually did follow my advice. Those people also had amazing results. My own mother was one of those people, and she lost 65 lbs.

That gets really frustrating, so I don't put as much time or effort into it, unless I think somebody is really committed.
  • plaingirly
    Options
    Out of the 100s of people who have asked me how I did it, wanting the same results for themselves, I can think of only maybe 2 people that actually did follow my advice. Those people also had amazing results. My own mother was one of those people, and she lost 65 lbs.

Any tips?! :smile:

I am feeling beyond motivated at the moment and want to keep it up!

Tempted to order a Jillian Michaels DVD as I thought she was fab on Biggest Loser. Want to find the healthy me that is buried under all this weight!
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Lol really? You express how you don't want to be judged based off of your eating behaviors but yet in the same breath judge another...Quite an oxymoron.

The majority of people here started with bad eating habits, and I would not be surprised that you did too. To have such contempt for someone who doesn't eat healthy is quite ironic, seeing as though you don't like the contempt you receive from the way you eat.

Just say no thank you and move on.

And the last statement you made speaks volumes about your LACK of character. You are more judgmental than the people who are so AWFUL to let you know there are treats that were offered. Woe is you.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    Options
    Sure, plaingirly.

It may sound cliche, but the five to six small meals a day has really helped me. When I was in WL mode, I was eating about 1400 calories a day, and exercising 4 to 5x a week for an hour to Jillian Michaels. I don't eat back what I've burned.

I have tried to use exercise only for years to get the weight off, with little or no results. I think it's a bonus for staying healthy, but not for weight loss.

I follow Weight Watchers, and the big thing that also helped me is getting in what they call the "Good Health Guidelines." Getting in 4 to 5 servings of fruits and veggies a day, 2 dairy servings, 8 glasses of water, 2 to 3 servings of protein, and of course, exercise. These items will keep you fuller, longer on fewer calories and will ensure you get enough nutrients while you are losing weight.

I hit maintenance almost a year ago, and now can get away with 2000 calories a day, plus a bit extra on the weekend. I still exercise 4 to 5x a week just because it feels good. I believe it also helped keeping the stretch marks to a minimum, and I have no excess skin (which may be genetic - my mom doesn't exercise and also has no excess skin).

Also, don't let one bad day derail you. I had a huge tuna fish sandwich and fries today, but again, it's the weekend, so I allow myself some treats every now and then. Don't be afraid to allow yourself some treats - just don't go overboard.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    Options
    I love how the thoughts inside my head that I just decided to write down yesterday, are so offensive to some people. It's comical.