Dr. Oz 3 day cleanse

Options
1235»

Replies

• erinmpayne
    erinmpayne Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    UGH!!! The Lunch drink is awful!!! I mean, it's not horrible, but just the mix of the celery with the cucumber bluuuuuhhhh! Not looking forward to lunch in 2 hours!!!
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Edward-Norton-Closing-Laptop.gif
  • kermiehiho
    kermiehiho Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I'm open to trying new things, and it's only three days. I'm doing this on the weekend, because I didn't want to be at work with unpleasant side effects, in case my system is not used to this. If there's a good smoothie recipe, I figure I can add it to my collection, since I usually blend up some fruit and yogurt for breakfast anyway.

I just tried the breakfast drink, and it was pretty good. I accidentally put in double the spinach because I made it in half batches (my blender is small). I tend to gobble my food, so I think it's good for my digestion to blend it up for a change. I think it is flushing out something because my #2 was more than normal (I'm sorry if this is too much info), and I've peed twice in two hours. Result? 1.5 pounds lighter after only the first drink! I really wasn't expecting that much. Since I accidentally doubled up on the spinach in the morning, I think I'll halve the veg in the lunch one, since I've been hearing that the lunch one isn't particularly yummy.

I guess even if you don't approve of cleanses, you have to admit, the discipline required to see this kind of thing through is the same kind of discipline that you'd need to exercise regularly and maintain a healthy diet. Congrats to those who made it.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I guess even if you don't approve of cleanses, you have to admit, the discipline required to see this kind of thing through is the same kind of discipline that you'd need to exercise regularly and maintain a healthy diet. Congrats to those who made it.

No, the discipline that you need to exercise regularly and maintain a healthy diet is something that lasts longer than three days and doesn't involve torturing yourself.
  • kermiehiho
    Options

No, the discipline that you need to exercise regularly and maintain a healthy diet is something that lasts longer than three days and doesn't involve torturing yourself.

Actually, I just finished the second smoothie, and it was pretty tasty with the lime and pineapple. Admittedly, I halved the kale and celery and cucumber, because I accidentally doubled the spinach in the first one, and I added lime juice to taste, but I wouldn't label it "torture". If you doubt me, you can try one of the recipes for yourself. :wink: And actually, I'm full (the recipe makes nearly double my normal breakfast smoothie), so it's not like I'm starving myself either. I'm not suggesting that one should do this cleanse thing as the easy way out and fall back into unhealthy eating habits and lifestyle afterwards. I think if one has enough discipline to follow through with this regimen for a few days, it could provide a confidence boost in one's own willpower and discipline to follow through with a healthy diet and lifestyle afterwards.
  • tcleavinger
    tcleavinger Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi I've never done a cleanse, and I really don't know enough about Dr. Oz to approve or disapprove of him, however, when my husband had his weight loss surgery cleanse was part of his before process. Except it lasted 2 weeks :- 0 !!!! They didn't really call it a cleanse, they called it liquid diet. It was meant to cleanse. It takes fat away from the liver which is necessary both for ease if the surgeon and because when your liver (among other organs) are free from all the fat that builds on it, it works better. This coming from a respected US surgeon. To those criticizing this as not a healthy long term weight loss solution. Of coarse you wouldn't want to do this long term for the sole purpose of losing weight. That would be starvation and not acceptable. However, I didn't see the poster or anyone who was going to do it, say they were doing it to "shed weight" or "promote starvation". Ad think if all "well meaning" and "we do it cause we care" folks wouldn't be so mean and make fun. You might be taken seriously by the poster. You want to educate?!?! And help a fellow MFP pal out, guide him or her in the right direction through educating in a grown up way. It's fun to have fun, but didn't you all learn in kindergarten not to be mean? Congrats to those who tried it and gained something positive from the experience.
  • kermiehiho
    Options
    So, reporting back at the end of the first day, dinner drink was around the same as the breakfast drink, I'd say. I was worried about the cayenne, because some people said their mouth was on fire, so I decided to try just two shakes of cayenne for the first half (again, I have a small blender, so I have to do a half recipe at a time). I couldn't even taste it. So for the next half, I used three shakes. I could taste it at that quantity, but I wouldn't say my mouth is on FIRE; it's a slight kick. Admittedly, I'm not as sensitive as some other people (like my mom), but I'm not that spice tolerant either (no jalapenos for me). I'd agree that lunch drink is my least favorite of the three, but as I said, I halved the veg and it was pretty refreshing that way. I think overall if you do these three smoothies in a day (plus whatever for the snack one), you're getting more than the minimum recommended amount of veggies anyway. I think mint or basil would probably make a good addition to the lunch smoothie. Too bad I killed my mint plant about a year ago. Also, my kale plant barely had enough to feed me today, so I'm going to have to go the store tomorrow morning so I don't strip it bare eating lunch! :laugh: And, by the way, I only had a BM after the first smoothie. No diarrhea, cramping, or bloating (yay), although it could be due to the fact that my system is used to a high fiber diet (papaya banana smoothie for breakfast anyone?). I do find myself peeing a lot more though; maybe I don't drink enough water on my normal diet.
  • kermiehiho
    Options
    OK, so I just made the breakfast and lunch smoothies last night and put them in my cooler this morning to take to work. The lunch smoothie is nasty like that. You have to drink it fresh. Left in the fridge otherwise, the coconut oil gets all lumpy, and the texture ends up like barf. I was really hungry by early afternoon, so I did eat some, but probably only around half, if that much. :sick:
  • ecwest923
    Options
    Yeah the green lunch drink look like baby poop. The first time I made it I put to many cucumbers in it. I think its the celery that has the strongest flavor.. I didnt buy pineapple this time... I just added more green apple and try adding a little nutmeg.
  • xtrout
    xtrout Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I just finished this. I dont really care for Dr. Oz. Kind of a shill. But i did it out of interest. It about 1400 calories a day of nutrient rich ingredients. Ideally we would eat this healthy all the time. Shakes were tasty. Even liked the lunch one. Nice calming hot bath was nice since I never take them. After three days I was down 6 lbs and an inch or two on my measurement. Now I get to see how or if the weight comes back as I get back to "Normal",
  • patrox247
    Options
    This is my perspective and hey it's just an opinion right? So take it for what it's worth.

It seems to me that if you are a person that is doing all these cleanses, pseudo fad diets, pills etc etc, if doing those things makes you happy then more power to you. If you were to ask my opinion about them what I would tell you is that they are all ploys to manipulate your water weight and give you a temporary false scale reading and misleading waist measurement and that there is simply no way to short cut, scam or any other way to get around the scientific reality of human biology. There is no magic pill. In fact there is no magic anything. Self deception is no joke. Long term weight loss does not start with either diet or exercise. It starts with being honest with yourself.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    This is my perspective and hey it's just an opinion right? So take it for what it's worth.

It seems to me that if you are a person that is doing all these cleanses, pseudo fad diets, pills etc etc, if doing those things makes you happy then more power to you. If you were to ask my opinion about them what I would tell you is that they are all ploys to manipulate your water weight and give you a temporary false scale reading and misleading waist measurement and that there is simply no way to short cut, scam or any other way to get around the scientific reality of human biology. There is no magic pill. In fact there is no magic anything. Self deception is no joke. Long term weight loss does not start with either diet or exercise. It starts with being honest with yourself.
    Along with that goes my opinion that if people spent their time creating a caloric deficit and mixing in a little exercise rather than wasting time screwing around with fad diets and "miracle pills" one after another in hopes of finding a shortcut (which doesn't exist), they'd be much further ahead in the game.
  • Jen3Far
    Options
    I've done it and it was a great way to jump start my diet. I still have one of the shakes for a snack from time to time. Great way to get a lot of veggies and fruits in, if that's an issue. Sorry you are getting such closed minded feedback (not to mention unsupportive and arrogant, "I already poop, I already eat well, blah blah blah". To those negative nellies, maybe there are other people who are on here b/c they've struggled in the past with eating well and are trying to do something positive. You don't have to like Dr. Oz to look at the ingredients in the shakes and realize it's a great way to get veggies and fiber in your diet. It's called a filter, use the things you like and ignore the things he says you don't like. I don't know about cleanse, and really I didn't find much benefit beyond day 1, but I like that I can use these ideas as a tool for healthier eating. Also there is no sub for exercise. But healthy diet and exercise go hand in hand. Good luck!