Veggies and carbs - jaws dropped.

Options

Replies

• WVmom24
    WVmom24 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Agreed with all the above posts. Eat the carrots, chika.
  • shellyt1
    shellyt1 Posts: 119
    Options
    The carbs to reduce are the refined processed carbs! Veggie carbs are good carbs.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Okay, this morning, my jaws dropped when I saw that one cup of carrot was like 12 carbs! Wait, I thought it was good for you to eat vegetables and reduce the carbs! How am I supposed to reduce carbs while eating vegetables? There is something somewhere that I don't understand........

Any clues?

And this is the crux of the reason I think low-carb diets in general are stupid. Any diet that says fruits and vegetables are bad is stupid.

Couldn't agree more. Although, don't forget portion control. For example, with fruits, sugar is still sugar, and too much fruit is not good either. It's all about eating what is nutritionally relevant to your body's health needs.

Assuming you are eating a healthy, balanced diet within your calorie goals, define "too much fruit,"

I generally (though not lately) eat at least five servings of it daily and am healthy and it never inhibited my weight loss.
  • Hadunka
    Hadunka Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I eat white bread, white pasta and white rice. And sometimes cakes too (small muffins). Bad carbs? Pche. I don´t like wholemeal things and I won´t eat them just because they are healthier (as claimed). I don´t think white pasta and white rice and white bread are bad. Not at all. They have been eaten since ancient times...
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    OH MY GOD 12 WHOLE CARBS

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH.

That+s+it.+I+m+out+game+over+man+_8e846debb8a2f24b1a8f6e573271cffa.gif
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Carrots are awesome! I like them raw and plain, or cooked with a nice brown sugar glaze. Some people like to dip them of ranch, but I'm not a fan of ranch dressing. I don't like the after-taste. Carrots are considered nutrient dense because there are a LOT of nutrients packed into that tiny bit of calories.

As Sidesteel pointed out, 12 carbs is nothing. Add that to a handful of peanuts and you have a small, crunchy snack. In fact, that will be my morning snack at work.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    A carb is a carb, however, you want to look at what comes with the carb, a white carb often brings limited nutrients, vegetables are for the most part pretty nutrient loaded, so make smart choices and just moderate your carbs. Studies have shown that long term, moderation is most successful for long term balance.
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not the devil. In order to lose weight one just has to eat at a calorie deficit.

Most of my calories lately come from carbs & fats because of protein restrictions.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Just cut out bad carbs, white bread, white pasta white rice, sugar loaded foods pasrtries, cake etc, eat all your veggies and whole grains

Stop with this silliness, what makes whole grains good and white rice/potatoes/bread bad
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Just cut out bad carbs, white bread, white pasta white rice, sugar loaded foods pasrtries, cake etc, eat all your veggies and whole grains

Cut out cake??? Wait...what??

This is NOT how I wanted to start my morning. Now I feel compelled to go to the vending machine and buy a cake or cake like product.

I have yet to understand the aversion to carbs. If you don't like the calorie count to a specific food for the day...yeah, I get it. But to dismiss a whole group of foods just because it has a few carbs just doesn't compute for me.

If you're making a choice to go low carb because that's what you feel is best for you, then fantastic, but you apparently haven't researched the low carb thing otherwise this wouldn't have been a shock to you. If you're doing it because you heard somewhere that it's the best way to lose weight...that in and of itself is false. Follow a plan that includes the foods you like to eat. Eat at a calorie deficit. Lose weight. Eat at maintenance. Exercise once in a while.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

I could do without cake, so long as there are plenty of cookies, with a tall glass of whole milk!
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options

Stop with this silliness, what makes whole grains good and white rice/potatoes/bread bad

food snobbery + diet fads = ruh roh!
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    How am I supposed to reduce carbs while eating vegetables? There is something somewhere that I don't understand........

Any clues?

Eat vegetables because they are nutrient dense but not calorie dense.

Reduce processed food items (usually carbs combined with fat ) because they are less nutrient dense and more calorie dense.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options

I could do without cake, so long as there are plenty of cookies, with a tall glass of whole milk!

But I've had some really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really good cake.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

No kidding. I've lost nearly 25% of my starting body weight and I freely eat bread, white rice (gasp), white pasta (whole wheat tastes vile to me), potatoes, and ice cream (vanilla even, it's white). Of course that goes with lean meats good fats and lots of veggies.
    Calorie deficit works.
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options

there is ALWAYS room for cake.

Yes there is! Cake is a must!
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Hello! It is always good to eat vegetables, eat as much as you want except limit the starchy vegetables like corn, peas and legumes (cooked dried peas and beans),

Unless you talk to another dietician, who tells you to eat a lot of beans and legumes b/c of the protein and fiber that they contain.

My view - All things in moderation, and try to eat natural whenever possible, and don't eat too much!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

But I've had some really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really good cake.

Well you should have tasted the chocolate chip cookies I made this weekend. OMFG! :devil:
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why no one has said this yet, but FIBER IS A CARBOHYDRATE. That is why vegetables are high in carbohydrates (though carrots are also relatively high in sugar, which is why people make juice from them).

Short version: There are two kinds of carbohydrates, sugar and fiber. Fiber is good for you because it helps you feel fuller longer and it keeps you pooping on a regular schedule. When people suggest reducing carbohydrate intake, they mean reducing the other kind of carbohydrate, i.e. sugar. This can be done by eating fewer desserts and reducing portions of starchy foods, such as bread, pasta, rice, and potatoes. (Science note: starches are basically just long chains of sugar.)

Carbohydrates of any kind are not inherently "bad." After all, your brain runs on carbohydrates. However, it is possible to eat a lot of sugar and starch before you feel full. I was in the same boat as you, where I had to reduce carbs in order to keep under my calorie goals. But that isn't stopping me from eating the occasional piece of cake. :)
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Okay, this morning, my jaws dropped when I saw that one cup of carrot was like 12 carbs! Wait, I thought it was good for you to eat vegetables and reduce the carbs! How am I supposed to reduce carbs while eating vegetables? There is something somewhere that I don't understand........

Any clues?

Carrots are higher in natural sugars.

I don't know how low you are trying to drop your carb level, but spinach, different lettuce varieties, greens (kale, mustard, collards, turnip), green beans, brocolli, cauliflower all are pretty low in carbs and allow you to eat a LOT at one time.

I do eat carrots, but it is more like a half cup in addition to other green vegetables because carrots mess with my sugar levels if I eat too many.

Ignore the ignorant comments that contribute nothing to your topic. Things are rather ridiculous around here in the sense that you can't even carry on an intelligent and civil conversation without such ignorance that does nothing to enhance the topic at hand.