My boyfriend is TOO SKINNY. Help!!

Options

Replies

• Mary067
    Options
    You said that he is going through some stress right now, I think thats probably it. When I went through my divorce, I lost 6o pounds just due to stress. I gained it back though cuz when I was feeling better I was able to eat again and the adenilan fron being stressed had gone away. I think that the other posters that suggested full fat foods is a good place to start. I think its just stress and thats how his body is handling it.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Delay dinner until after 6pm, and make sure he eats carbs. He'll never suspect a thing.
  • CynthiaCollin
    CynthiaCollin Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    That is not alot of weight for a guy his height. He must have a thin frame.... Is he eating regularly? 3 meals a day plus snacks? If he isn`t eating I would be concerned. If he is eating alot and losing weight that could be a health issue to talk to a doctor. Maybe he has a hyperthyroid problem? That would explain eating and still losing weight...+ stress.... My brother in law has a fast thyroid....no matter what he eats he`ll never gain an ounce.... Protein shakes could help....throw in some whole milk and some frozen fruit....that could possibly add more calories to his day on top of his meals.

You are a great girlfriend for caring !
  • bridgelene
    bridgelene Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    This.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    try and get some full fat foods in him, and maybe try and encourage him to go to the doctor. there may be something wrong and you don't want it to get severe
  • libbymcbain
    libbymcbain Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Think going to the doctor to check it is a good idea.

My husband is similar but less extreme- 5'11", goes between 162 and 168, would love to be 170.

When we first got together I baked for him loads and he did gain a bit (but this was eating homemade baking 5 times a day- breakfast fruit loaf, mid morning snack cheese scone, lunchtime a brownie, afternoon snack a muffin, dinner a pudding like sticky toffee or something). I don't do all that anymore- fruit loaf for breakfast and something else for a snack once a day.

Then he decided he wanted to put on some muscle and go to the gym as he had put on a little fat. Now he does that and he is building muscle- and that has been by upping his protein. So a glass of milk at breakfast as well as a glass of juice, greek yogurt and oats added to the fruit loaf, nut butter on the fruit loaf not fruit spread or jam, bit of cheese with his mid morning apple, proper meal at lunchtime most days with decent portion of protein (rather than a slice of ham in a sandwich, if it has to be sandwiches then the whole packet of ham not a slice), nuts to snack on, peanut butter with a banana, bigger protein portion at dinner time, pulses as well as carbs like rice.

He's putting in a an extra 30-40g of protein a day and it's really working. He has a six pack now and his body fat is about 12-13%, but he is a few pounds heavier than he was and is way more muscular.

Which has it's benefits it must be said.
  • ilovemybuggy
    ilovemybuggy Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    Just break up.

I knew as soon as I saw this post that YOU would say THIS. lol I'm always ready for it.
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Look up a show on YouTube called Super Size vs Super Skinny. It's a British show. It's got a lot of good info for under eaters. He can watch it and hopefully start to understand that he's not being healthy.
  • beandawgy
    Options
    Is it sad that I know the informercial @SandwichFarti is talking about? I was watching the Ink Master marathon on Spike this past weekend.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    My boyfriend has the same problem. He's not very active and he eats 4000-6000 calories a day (I make his food so sometimes I'll count just for fun) but he's rail thin. He gets this super carb drink from vitamin shoppe and it's 960 calories a bottle. Get him on those.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Move to a state where medical marijuana is legal. They often prescribe it for people with "wasting syndrome" or any other drug that increases appetite, but, according to his BMI (17.5) he could be considered anorexic. On another note, I wonder if his testosterone is also suffering considering he is SO skinny and likely eating SO little calories.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    What can I do? Should I try to get him to go to the doctor? Is it that severe? He doesn't think it's a problem.

If he doesn't think it's a problem, and there are no health issues, it's not your job to push him to the doctor. Sure, offer some more calorie-dense foods if you're cooking, but you're kind of acting of controlling. Do you want him deciding what *your* weight should be?
  • rachelbethany
    rachelbethany Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is 6 feet tall and weighs anywhere from 125-145 (it goes up and down a lot with stress, etc., too). My boyfriend doesn't exercise at all, other than walking to class every day and doing some occasional yoga stretches for his bad back. I have been with him for 5 years, and he's definitely gained some weight since we've been together (for the first couple of years, he was always at about 125). He's very skinny, but so are his sisters, and he just has a really, really fast metabolism. He doesn't eat ANY foods that I consider healthy. I mean, he does use whole wheat bread on his sandwiches and doesn't drink sodas ever since he had kidney stones, but his diet is pretty much devoid of all vegetables. Honestly, I think he could be much healthier, but it's not the fact that he's so skinny that worries me; it's the fact that he doesn't get most of the vitamins/minerals he needs unless he takes a multi-vitamin, which I have gotten him to do at times. He doesn't eat as much as I do, but when he DOES eat, he eats lots of pizza, or grilled cheese sandwiches, or chicken tenders, or other high calorie/fat foods. I wouldn't really worry about your boyfriend. How long have you been together? He's probably just naturally skinny, like my boyfriend. Sure, his lifestyle could be healthier, but it's not really your place to change him. I don't think his life is in danger. However, suggesting the inclusion of a multi-vitamin or cooking him meals can change the way he looks at food over a long period of time.
  • MrsPong
    MrsPong Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    My husband is 205 and 6'0, almost 27. He's a Marine and he works out hardcore at least 5-6 times a week. I workout with him and I'm trying to lose weight.
    He eats alot of the same things I do... but he has to eat alot more of it or more cottage cheese, greek yogurt, more protein just to maintain his weight.

Your boyfriend needs to eat more.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Force feed him cake.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    My Sis in Law is so painfully thin. Her lifestyle is "hectic" and every once in a while she comes to sleep on my sofa for a week and have me fatten her up.

I hide butter and cream in everything I feed her. I cook normal. Then take her food and fatten it up. Last she was with me I put 6 pounds on her in 10 days.
  • BritneysStuntDouble
    Options
    Is it sad that I know the informercial @SandwichFarti is talking about? I was watching the Ink Master marathon on Spike this past weekend.
    Did you get the phone number or website?
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    What can I do? Should I try to get him to go to the doctor? Is it that severe? He doesn't think it's a problem.

If he doesn't think it's a problem, and there are no health issues, it's not your job to push him to the doctor. Sure, offer some more calorie-dense foods if you're cooking, but you're kind of acting of controlling. Do you want him deciding what *your* weight should be?

dude. his BMI is unhealthy. If you're girlfriend/boyfriend had an eating disorder and was severly underweight you would let them risk their health? It's not a matter of her being controlling and not liking him physically; it's about how dangerous it is.

"People with a low BMI are essentially starving to death by not taking in enough calories to maintain a healthy body weight. Some of the health problems associated with this condition include increased risk of osteoporosis, anemia from insufficient iron, a weakened immune system and even organ failure and death. Short-term problems associated with low BMI can include impaired judgment, lethargy and mood swings."
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options

dude. his BMI is unhealthy. If you're girlfriend/boyfriend had an eating disorder and was severly underweight you would let them risk their health? It's not a matter of her being controlling and not liking him physically; it's about how dangerous it is.

How do you suggest she force him to change? He's an adult
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    I didn't suggest she force him to change. I suggested he try something to increase his appetite or something used for people with "wasting" syndrome considering he probably isnt losing all that weight on purpose.

How do you suggest she force him to change? He's an adult