One innocent Kiss and my whole day is ruined...

Options

Replies

• CasablancasTX
    Options
    I am a former binger and the way I healed myself was learning how to recover from a binge. You've lost a lot of weight so far, so it seems you may have lost your way, from looking at your diary. If you do binge or eat a very large lunch like you did on Sunday, you have to make up for it with a small dinner or just a snack to stay close to your calorie goal. This site makes it as easy as possible. Log your binge and you see how much you have left over (if any) for the day. You've been successful in the past, so just recommit yourself every single morning. Saying no isn't the problem here. You could benefit from a great book called 'Breaking Free from Compulsive Eating' by Geneen Roth. It really helped me move beyond the binges.
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Honestly.....and, try not to take this the wrong way...
    BUT....I don't think the 3-4 Hershey's Kiss or M&M's here and there are the problem. I would venture to say the 1300 cals a day in wine is probably more of a problem.
  • losingw8now
    losingw8now Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Many people said it - you have to change your thinking. You see yourself as having an addiction, so in recovery, you have to change your "stinkin thinkin" - the thinking that "I've ruined my diet today anyway, I might as well just throw in the towel and binge" is the stinkin thinkin and I have had that and done that for years. But I changed it when I started this program (don't do it all the time or I'd be more successful) but I have changed the thought to "I used to eat that, now I don't" if I know it is something that I will binge on, like peanut M&Ms.

And if someone offers me something, I often say, oh no thanks, I can't eat just one of those!! " in a light hearted manner. They laugh with me and think I'm just politely turning it down, but I know in my own mind, I really can't and it reinforces for me that I need to stay away from them. If they give me something without really the opportunity to turn it down, I was going to suggest (becasue I have done it) what others said and give it to someone else or to the break room where it really will disappear.

Now, because of the addiction part of your brain, if you are like me, you will get that food item in your mind and think about it throughout the day, think about how it will taste and how good it will be, and eventually you will stop on your way home from work (or I have even gotten redressed at night and driven out to a 7-11) and get a bagful of them and eat them all. But that is also part of addiction thinking. You have to come up with ways to not obsess over it, not allow yourself to indulge your mind in it - and find other things to think about. If you can call a friend who understands this - all the better. Talk with them about what you are thinking about, what you are really thinking or feeling, because it is usually something underlying that you aren't dealing with, or that you have difficulty dealing with all the time, that is really the reason you are thinking of bingeing, not because of the food itself - it's the relief you want to feel when you overindulge and serotonin is released and you feel numb for a while - then you aren't thinking about that other problem or issue. You have to find other coping mechanisms to deal with those feelings.

I am speaking from personal experience and have not solved this myself yet, but know that it is true. And I know some of what you are dealing with right now - and that is the real reason that a "kiss" puts you over the edge. Someone suggested a counselor - and that wouldn't be a bad idea right now.
  • peters112
    Options
    If It Fits Your Macros! :)
  • Levedi
    Levedi Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    This is hard - I struggle with it too. The hardest part for me is saying no to a gift. I feel like I'm being an ungrateful jerk and hurting the person offering, but I also feel resentful that they are sabotaging me (even though they have no idea.)

Some things that help me:

1. Say no thank you and suggest they offer it to someone else. This redirects their impulse to give and keeps me from feeling as bad.

2. Say "I'll save it for later" and then either do save it for later or throw it away on my way home.

3. Say "thanks but I just ate." For some reason this will put off insistent people when a plain no won't always do it.

Remember, you are doing this to be healthy. You don't have to hurt your own healthy to make other people feel a teeny, teeny bit better. And you aren't hurting them by saying no.
  • Jonesie86
    Jonesie86 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Try this: Over the course of a week take every piece of candy, cookie, brownie, chocolate, or whatever other thing you're offered/cross paths with and place it in a ziplock bag. At the end of the week, look at everything you've added to the bag, calculate the fat, calories, carbs and sugar. You'll be shocked and horrified at the result and so proud that crap isn't in your body :)

And should you have any urge you can't resist, tell me and I will gladly remind you that you don't need it!!

However, a small piece of DARK chocolate (Hershey Bliss is my fave) won't kill you once or twice a week ;-)
  • jedwardsau
    jedwardsau Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Especially pre packed candy.

If someone offered me something they had made then I would accept a small serve and eat it - as they made it - otherwise, I tell them I am on a diet....usually my line is...

I'm on a diet...but since you made it yourself, then I will accept :) But if it tastes like poopoo then I will not finish it ;)

Lollies from a machine....only in desperation....
  • msshiraz
    msshiraz Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    you need to try and set boundaries at your office- let your coworkers know you have started this journey and would they support you. And if they ask you anyway, its up to you- you can be stronger than temptation!! A moment on the lips, a lifetime on the hips (or booty- or wherever you carry it). Think about where the calories are going- its so easy to eat and not think. I will take those mini bags of M&M's and toss them in my drawer at work- when I really need them, they will be there- but no longer just because. Its not impolite to say no thank you- its an excuse for learned behavior, what you are working toward getting away from right? :)
  • msshiraz
    msshiraz Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    "YOUR WHOLE DAY IS RUINED?" :sad: .....AW Geez cut the drama you big sissie. Eat the damn things, log it in your diary, and plan out the rest of your daily meal plan. Aint no big deal unless you make it one.

I eat a Butterfinger (fun size, 85 cal) every day and I enjoy the hell out of it.....In fact, I just might eat another one now cuz Im irritated. :laugh:

I dont restrict myself from too much. Check out my diary - Im losing weight with one hand tied behind my back...just dont get on my bad side, I have a big bag of Butterfingers and I wouldnt hesitate to eat a few of em in front of you :drinker: .....

Really??? Really???? Insults?????? This is pathetic
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    look back over your diary. one little kiss isn't what's sabotaging your plan. beer battered fish and chips is what's sabotaging you. delicious, creamy dressings are what's sabotaging you. wine is what's sabotaging you. you are sabotaging you!

you need to start holding other people less accountable for what goes in your mouth, and start looking at number one. barring life or death type scenarios, nobody can make you eat anything you don't want to.

i've looked at your profile, you've lost over 50lb, so i can only assume that you know the things you need to do to make the scales drop. do them! and do them consistently! if you're doing the right thing 90% of the time, a little (LITTLE) slip here and there won't matter, and you won't be wracked with guilt because you'll be able to think 'oh well, that's one mouthful out of many', rather than 'oh shoot, another bad day. pass the salt'.

sorry if i sound mean. i don't mean to be. i have off days too, but i pick myself up and get back on track. someone before me said 'if you mess up, the most important meal is your next one'. if you let these things snowball, you'll look like a snowman :)

^This
  • DaphneAtx
    Options
    I agree with those who are looking at the bigger picture. The first time I read your post and a couple of the answers, I saw you ate the M&M's and Kisses and then you skipped dinner. I thought GREAT, this girl is taking responsibility for eating that junk. I saw you were still getting responses and looked now and saw you ate a dinner of over 1000 calories. Oh, honey. You have just got to eat a small salad or some scrambled egg whites or go for a long walk when you eat something that takes you near or over your calorie limit. No one wants you starving yourself, but If candy or junk takes you over your goal for the day, you have to limit yourself in other areas. If you do this every day, then this becomes unhealthy and you won't see the weight dropping off, but the other way around. I think you should look into some sort of counseling or see a dietitian about your cravings, binges and other issues. They can really provide some insight or tips on how to find balance, which would benefit you greatly.
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Then there's the saying "what you're looking for isn't in there". The first Kiss is about how delicious chocolate is, but by the 5th or 10th or 25th Kiss, its not about how good it is, its about something else and even 100 chocolate kisses isn't going to help.

I really like this - this is something that I lose sight of easily when I'm not thinking about my eating and remaining conscious about my health. If you want a taste of something, taste it. But try to think as you eat - you're not eating a treat to satisfy hunger, so why eat a large portion? There will be chocolate again. There is no need to eat it again and again in this particular instance.

I can identify with you, OP. One thing that's helping me is to think: "Is this an 8-10/10 on the deliciousness scale?" If not, it's not worth my calories. If it is, I'll account for it and enjoy it without guilt. It's the "without guilt" part that takes a little mental reformation. Guilt is NOT constructive when it comes to reforming your life and body.
  • kayduro
    kayduro Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I politely pass on the candy. I am not a people pleaser so It doesn't bother me to say no. And besides, if they are offended because I am making healthy choices then its their problem! If you haven't got it in you to say no then maybe take this month off and re-commit after the holidays? You'll probably be good until Valentines Day hits:) then comes St Pattys Day and Easter. Then we are getting into Memorial Day and summer BBQs, 4th of July etc. best of luck to ya! I will say a prayer for willpower for you:)
  • OspreyVista
    OspreyVista Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Yea, I just say no to offered food. I have no shame ;)

This. It's your body and you control what goes into it. If someone has an issue with that, then it's their problem. You may ALWAYS say no thank you and smile at them :) If they keep asking you, then they are just being rude.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    You need to read Overcoming Binge Eating by Christopher Fairburn.
  • DKWaggoner
    Options
    Yea, I just say no to offered food. I have no shame ;)
    I am with you on this! I have no problem saying No..My co workers are always offering me things & I just politely say No Thanks
  • kathunni
    Options
    I know how you feel, food is also a very 'social' tool for me as well as I am a stay at home mum who thrives on coffee groups! I don't refuse them, I have found (for me) just having one or 2 works because if I always say no that's when I fall off the wagon a few weeks later. Remember, healthy eating is a lifestyle and you should allow yourself treats, EVERYTHING IN MODERATION(I have the tendency to put on weight but keep slim by allowing myself treats and sticking to this moto) good luck, you have support :)
  • kymcgill
    Options
    I have found that saying yes is a good thing.......I would have said, "Yes, I LOVE M & M's but if I take the whole bag, I will eat the whole bag. Since I am trying to lose weight...or not gain weight during the holidays...I would like only a few and someone else can have the rest. Sharing does my heart good.
  • TahoeSki
    TahoeSki Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Someone gave me a piece of homemade banana bread the other day. I thanked her, told her it looked yummy (which it did), and said that I was going to save it for later. Later... I took 1 bite, enjoyed it and then carefully threw the rest away. We can still be nice to people without ruining our diets. :)
  • cindl24
    cindl24 Posts: 178
    Options
    Most everyone I know is aware that I am working on losing weight and doing it via low-carb foods. As a result, most people don't offer me stuff like that anymore.

I do have a few friends who seem to think it is funny to try and tease me into eating something I don't really want (such as a piece of cake or candy). I just look at them and smile and say "no thanks, I'm good. I appreciate it though."

I haven't had anyone give me too hard a time though. I think mainly people that are a bit more difficult about it are trying to bring you down because they know they can't do it themselves and it makes them feel bad.

Saying no is something you have to learn. It's really okay. You are worth the effort if it upsets you so much to have a few pieces of chocolate. For me, it feels like a slippery slope...a few here, a few there and then I'm in the midst of bad habits again. So I just abstain and keep myself happy with other treats.