Is there a better way to eat pizza?

Options

Replies

• Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    I eat thick crust at least once a week, and it fits my calories and macros just fine. Most of my dinners are around 800-1200 calories anyway, so what's the BFD if it's pizza or something else?

From any particular place or whatever you feel like at the time?
  • kwazgo
    Options
    I only stopped to read this because I made homemade pizza again last night.

Dough was Jim Lahey's (http://goo.gl/vxaij), sauce was garlic sauteed in a little oil, plus a 28oz can of crushed tomatoes cooked down to pizza-sauce consistency. I used 20 slices of Pepperoni, on paper towels, sandiched between two plates, and microwaved for 45 seconds. It removes most of the oil (all fat, lots of calories), and crisps up the pepperoni better than 7 minutes in a 500° oven. With mushrooms, broccoli, and shredded cheese, a whole (~10-12") pizza clocks in at "only" 789 calories, and (according to my kids) is better than any of the chain or local pizza joints around town.

The trick is to make too much dough, divide it into portions, and freeze it for use in a week or two. I use a freezer bag with just enough olive oil that it releases once thawed. The other trick is to enjoy cooking, so it doesn't seem like work.
  • MsNewBooty83
    MsNewBooty83 Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    i know its not a great sub for pizza...but my hubs liked it, so maybe you will too...
    i use wisecrakers spicey peper melange (basiacally a giant cracker), spread salsa across it, sprinkle with shreded cheese and if u really wanted sprinkle some some real bacon bits on it. you can just nuke em and theyre a good little snack for a little amt of cals.
    OR make the pizza urself at home and use a whole grain crust with TONS of veggies and low fat cheeses...also Dr Oetker (make from frozen) pizzas are freaking amazing.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    if you don't mind baking yourself the Papa Murphy's DeLite pizza is pretty good on stats unless you go overboard on meats. they give you tons of toppings and they don't skimp on the cheese. I usually order Hawaiian, pepperoni and mushroom, or veggie with chicken on it and for those you can eat half of a large pizza for somewhere between 600-700 calories and its a lot to eat. Of course, if you eat less than half the pie then you can cut that number down even more.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :drinker: I agree that "Giving Up Pizza" is NOT an Option. But I do limit it to Very Rare Occasions, Thin Crust, and Veggie Toppings.

Making your own is Probably the Best Choice, Nutritionally Speaking, but it ain't happening at My House!:heart::ohwell:
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Why don't you... eat a few slices instead of the whole thing? Am I missing something? :sick: Did you mean 12" slice?
  • _lizzie_
    _lizzie_ Posts: 130
    Options
    Make your own. Use Cauliflower crust pizza recipes those are the BOMB!!!
    Don't eat the crusts. Actually I do this at Pizza buffets to eat more pizza than crust.
    Order thin crusts with easy cheese and easy sauce. All the veggies you want and as few meat products as you can handle.

Agreed! I love those cauliflower crust pizzas!! Its just close enough to cut out the craving. Also, if you make them at home, use thin crust and little sauce as others said and more Parmesan cheese than mozzarella, it has more flavor so you can use less! At least I find I can half my cheese this way. Use real meat toppings to like chicken and italian spiced ground beef as "sausage" and go crazy on the veg. toppings :-)
  • Colstriper
    Colstriper Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    My wife make Jiffy pizza crust, olive oil instead of sauce, light cheese, green olives, artichoke hearts, red pepper flakes, and add some onions or whatever vegies you want. Best damn pizza ever. Not exactly low in calories but not full of grease and bad fats.
  • MikeyD1280
    MikeyD1280 Posts: 5,257
    Options
    are you a TMNT? if so, then eating a whole pizza is to be expected
  • foxfirekenzie
    foxfirekenzie Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    You ate a whle pizza and was shocked to learn that it wasn't a good choice?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFKifpMtlNs

WINNER!!!!
  • You ate a whle pizza and was shocked to learn that it wasn't a good choice?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFKifpMtlNs

lmfao! im loving that ad!!!
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    have you ever tried cauliflower pizza crust?! it is amazing delish! seriously. I'm not lying.

Also, I use the whole wheat packaged pizza crusts to make homemade pizza for my fiance. turkey pepperoni, pizza sauce, cayenne pepper, reduced fat shredded cheese, and veggies (i like mushrooms, onions, green peppers) -- it is not nearly as bad as dominos.
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    When I buy pizza, it's when I know I will enjoy every last bite of every slice, calories be damned. Wow, just realized I haven't had any pizza since October. Didn't even miss it.

But yeah...eat it backwards. It's more fun that way.
  • joecollins9385
    joecollins9385 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    dominos thin crust veggie add chicken, its delicious and last time i checked (2 or 3 years ago) was the healthiest pizza they offered.
  • crrc78
    crrc78 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    We buy raw dough from Trader Joe's and throw it on the gas grill (yes, the bbq) --- it's amazing!
    I stretch the dough, spray the grill with PAM, and throw it on. Cook about 4-5 minutes (lower heat is better), then flip the whole thing over. Add your sauce and fresh ingredients - focus on veggies and lean meats, or even chicken sausage and cheese. If you use good cheese, like fresh Parmesan you'll need a lot less than crappy shredded mozzarella.
    Close the top of the grill for about 5-8 minutes and it should be good to go with a nice lightly crisped crust!
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    Bite down really hard so that the cheese doesn't slide off and burn your chin.
  • Ilysandrew11
    Ilysandrew11 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I made my own pizza using a Flat out tortilla. I added the serving size amount of pizza sauce, low fat mozzarella and then turkey pepperoni. Bake it at 350 for about 12 minutes. It was pretty tasty and not that many caloies. You can also add whatever fresh veggies or low cal toppings you would like!!
  • fun_b
    fun_b Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I am terrible with Pizza when I am eating out but I can make low calories ones at home. I usually use a warburton square wrap and then add some puree and grated cheese, When Im not feeling lazy, I will add some onions and peppers to it as well. But it taste so good.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    My wife makes pizza at home all the time. This way you can control the oil and cheese.