Dog food diet?

Options

Replies

• capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Yes, actually. I believe the way it works is to keep dry kibble in your pockets and eat a bit whenever you get hungry? Unfortunately, I ended up in the hospital doing this.

...Then again, I was too busy sitting on the side of the road licking my own *kitten* to notice the car coming.

I think everyone is missing the point. This was the right answer. ^
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    It could work...

My dog is almost 10 years old and has never had a weight problem.

... but then again, his go-to cheat meal is litter-covered cat turds, which he sneaks when no one's looking. I wouldn't want anyone to know how often I was cheating on my diet because I had cat litter stuck to my nose.

I think I'll just keep doing what I'm doing....
  • foxro
    foxro Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Yes...the flexibilty in my hips vastly improved and I was finally able to lay down and groom myself without pain
  • d_Mode
    d_Mode Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Mia and I pretty much eat the same things...and I have to admit, my coat has never looked better. Sooo shiny and soft! :)
  • MissFitee
    MissFitee Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    On a more serious note:

Here in Sweden there are much stricter rules on additives in pet food than human food. Apparently theres 300ish OK'd additives for human food - 180 of them are forbidden to put in pet food.

The motivation? That people can read the ingredient list, know whats in our food and decide whether or not to eat it. Pets can not.
  • reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    From Answers.com

There are some issues that arise from consumption of dog food, however:

Pet foods may be made from animals in which the presence of prions, which cause encephalopathies such as BSE in cattle and variant CJD in humans, (Mad Cow Disease in human form) may be likely. According to the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO), animal by-products in pet food may include parts obtained from any animals who have died from sickness or disease provided they are rendered in accordance to law. As well, cow brains and spinal cords, not allowed for human consumption due to the possibility of transmission of BSE, are allowed to be included in pet food intended for non-ruminant animals. As prions are not exactly living microorganisms, even cooking cannot prevent the transmission of Bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE).
    Nutrition in pet food is often substituted for a cheaper alternative. You may have noticed that pet foods are measured for "crude protein" or "crude fibre". Both have nothing to do with protein content and fibre content we have become so accustomed to in human foods. Crude protein is calculated by taking Total nitrogen multiplied by the nitrogen conversion factor = 6.25. Crude protein can therefore be artifically raised by adding non-protein nitrogen. Non-protein nitrogen (or NPN) refers collectively to components such as urea, biuret, and ammonia, which are not proteins but can be converted into proteins by microbia in the ruminant stomach. Due to their lower cost compared to plant and animal proteins their inclusion in a diet can result in economic gain, but at too high levels cause a depression in growth and possible ammonia toxicity (microbes convert NPN to ammonia first before using that to make protein.) Crude fibre is the term given to the indigestible part of foods, defined as the residue left after successive extraction under closely specified conditions, and has nothing to do with dietary fibre. Therefore long-term consumption of dog food may not be enough to meet a human's dietary needs and could possibly cause problems due to inability to use NPN to efficiently create proteins.
  • danger_kitteh
    danger_kitteh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 3 of the dog food gravy cleanse. Its as good as a juice cleanse, but you don't have to waste your time juicing. Just pour the water on the nuggets, strain. enjoy.

hahah ok i was really torn between laughing at this one or heaving a little....
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    My puppy says he has excellent stamina at agility "thkool" because of Blue Puppy Longevity. He recommends snacking on cheese, pupperoni, and fuzz ripped out of your favorite toys.

Raleigh5months1.jpg
    HOLY CRAP That's the spitting image of my boy mike jones!
    edit: I switched my profile pic so he's just visible in the background; unfortunately no better pics, but he wasn't six years old they could be twins.
  • JennedyJLD
    JennedyJLD Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    It's doing wonders for my Labrador. She must be on to something...
  • reasnableblonde
    reasnableblonde Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    It could work...

My dog is almost 10 years old and has never had a weight problem.

... but then again, his go-to cheat meal is litter-covered cat turds, which he sneaks when no one's looking. I wouldn't want anyone to know how often I was cheating on my diet because I had cat litter stuck to my nose.

I think I'll just keep doing what I'm doing....

I am literally crying I'm laughing so hard.
  • BurtHuttz
    Options
    Anyway, on topic, OP, everyone knows the specific food doesn't matter. There aren't special "dog food" calories, you know. You can lose weight eating ice cream all day, why pick dog food? Lolz so dumb. On the good side, it's crunchy and inexpensive and pretty easy to carry around and snack on.
  • reasnableblonde
    Options
    My puppy says he has excellent stamina at agility "thkool" because of Blue Puppy Longevity. He recommends snacking on cheese, pupperoni, and fuzz ripped out of your favorite toys.

Raleigh5months1.jpg
    HOLY CRAP That's the spitting image of my boy mike jones!
    edit: I switched my profile pic so he's just visible in the background; unfortunately no better pics, but he wasn't six years old they could be twins.

Aw - we're always excited when we see a dog that looks like Raleigh. He's 9 months old and is a rescue out of Georgia (we think). He's 50% Aussie shepherd and 50% Australian cattledog. All herding, all the time.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Yes, actually. I believe the way it works is to keep dry kibble in your pockets and eat a bit whenever you get hungry? Unfortunately, I ended up in the hospital doing this.

...Then again, I was too busy sitting on the side of the road licking my own *kitten* to notice the car coming.

Come on, really? I'm sorry to be so judgmental, but there's PLENTY of healthy food out there that you can lose weight while eating. DOG food is meant for DOGS, not people.

I'm conflicted on this response. Soooo much love for the joke, but then again, she missed the obvious nature of the topic.
    Hmmmmm.
  • Cupcakehippiemommy
    Cupcakehippiemommy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    My dog has been successful on this diet
    te he he!
  • BurtHuttz
    Options
    Aw - we're always excited when we see a dog that looks like Raleigh. He's 9 months old and is a rescue out of Georgia (we think). He's 50% Aussie shepherd and 50% Australian cattledog. All herding, all the time.
    This is him looking non-plussed in a wig. Just imagine him without the wig.
    2629_63184751602_4960841_n.jpg
    Ours was a stray and we guess border collie pitt bull mix.
  • reasnableblonde
    Options
    This is him looking non-plussed in a wig. Just imagine him without the wig.
    2629_63184751602_4960841_n.jpg
    Ours was a stray and we guess border collie pitt bull mix.

Wow - they really DO look just alike. We thought Raleigh was a border collie/spaniel mix, but we finally got him tested so we could know definitively. Looks like Mike Jones could be the same mix!! Extremely smart, overly loyal, high energy, herds everything, playful, skilled in agility, trains easily, etc.
  • BurtHuttz
    Options
    Wow - they really DO look just alike. We thought Raleigh was a border collie/spaniel mix, but we finally got him tested so we could know definitively. Looks like Mike Jones could be the same mix!! Extremely smart, overly loyal, high energy, herds everything, playful, skilled in agility, trains easily, etc.

He is all of those things, including herder. He is incredibly laid back when faced with aggression and basically has trained himself. He is a very, very special dog.

Need something seasonally appropriate (he remains unamused.)

646_43652526602_8163_n.jpg
  • reasnableblonde
    Options

He is all of those things, including herder. He is incredibly laid back when faced with aggression and basically has trained himself. He is a very, very special dog.

Need something seasonally appropriate (he remains unamused.)

646_43652526602_8163_n.jpg

Yep, I think you might have yourself an Aussie shepherd/cattledog mix. Raleigh isn't aggressive at all. He's a fast runner too. They say herding dogs tend to nip at people's heels (especially kids), but Raleigh doesn't. He just sort of guides us with his body. Guess his mom never taught him to herd.

At 5 months:
    Raleigh5months2.jpg
  • 05saleengirl
    Options
    I double dog dare ya to try it
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    27739717_7867.jpg