When should you stop eating for the day?

Options
How long before bed do you stop eating for the day? I have read that you shouldn't eat anything after 8 pm because your body can't metabolize it before you go to sleep. My problem is that I'm often up late because I work evenings (usually not getting home til 1 am) and go to bed around 2 am most nights. If I don't eat something after 8 then I spend most of the night starving and pig out when I get home RIGHT before bed. Thoughts?

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I try to swallow the last bite before I fall asleep, to minimize the choking hazard.

Not eating after a given hour is a myth that has been disproven over and over, but still will not die. Your body doesn't have a clock and your metabolism works 24 hours a day unless you're dead - in which case you have bigger problems than what time to stop eating.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    A couple of times, I've been hungry at bed time, I look and I have a bunch of calories in the bank, and I munch...Doesn't seem to have affected my weight loss.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    When you run out of calories or you fall asleep. There is no truth to the eating after 8 myth.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I've heard 3hrs before going to bed. I think that has more to do with getting the food digested before laying down so heartburn isn't a factor. If you're up, no matter what time it is, your body is working so it needs fuel.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I try to swallow the last bite before I fall asleep, to minimize the choking hazard.

Haha, yup! I leave as many calories as I can so I can eat and eat in the evenings when I am most likely to have food on my mind. I eat up until as close to bed as I can so I have less chance to go over my calories by sitting around trying NOT to eat.
  • doulanik
    Options
    Well thanks for clearing that up for me! Here I've been all worried about eating my last snack at 900 pm and I shouldn't really worry about it. :D
  • NikiDeaf
    NikiDeaf Posts: 28 Member
    Options

LMAO! I too am a nighttime snacker and I blamed this for why I wasn't losing any weight. Really, it was because I would eat my allotted calories during then day and THEN ON TOP OF THAT eat 3787432581 additional calories with all the snacking. Now I just eat less during the day and save a good chunk of my calorie allowance for evening (healthy, mostly) snacks.
  • db1106
    db1106 Posts: 42
    Options
    I usually have a protein shake with almond milk right before bed.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    The only practical reason for not eating past a certain time is because people tend to make poor food choices late at night. I don't eat past 11pm but only because I do 20/4 IF with a feeding window of 7pm-11pm.
  • sharkloversmom
    Options
    It has been proven that eating right before bed is bad for digestion and if you are trying to get healthy then hurting your digestion is not smart. But it is 2-3 hours before bed, whenever that is.
  • yowza101
    yowza101 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I heard at least 2 hours, sometimes I follow that and sometimes I don't. But I never eat anything heavy just before bedtime.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    When you run out of calories or you fall asleep. There is no truth to the eating after 8 myth.

This. The only reason to limit it would be if you have digestion troubles!
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    We always have early dinners.. I prefer not to eat anything after 7pm..but if I am hungry, I will snack. No way I am starving.
  • mercymarque
    Options
    I stop eating 90 minutes before going to be and my times vary. I go to gym around 8 ish on nights I'm not working two jobs. On those days unless I am hungry from working out... my last meal is around 7 ish. Try having protein with every meal.. this tends to keep u fuller longer. Also eat smaller meals every 2-3 hours. Have a meal replacement, smoothie three snack in between (no cookies, cakes or candy) and drink water before, after and during the meal. Don't eat these smaller meal till ur full just enough were ur build sugar is satisfied. I hope this helps
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Glad to see Im not the only one who eats most of their calories in the evenings. I do the same during the day busy in the evening relax and have some food.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I try to eat at least an hour before I go to bed or wait an hour after eating before I sleep. Not doing so may cause a digestive issue that gives you bad dreams, maybe even the dreaded iguana dream. The iguana dream won't kill you but it is so unnerving that it WILL HAUNT YOU until your dying day. Eat late at peril to your own sanity.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    It has been proven that eating right before bed is bad for digestion and if you are trying to get healthy then hurting your digestion is not smart. But it is 2-3 hours before bed, whenever that is.
    If it is please post the clinical study supporting this. I have yet to see any definitive evidence to back this. I've eaten many times, many times right before I go to bed with no issues of digestion.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    I try to eat at least an hour before I go to bed or wait an hour after eating before I sleep. Not doing so may cause a digestive issue that gives you bad dreams, maybe even the dreaded iguana dream. The iguana dream won't kill you but it is so unnerving that it WILL HAUNT YOU until your dying day. Eat late at peril to your own sanity.
    I'm Asian.................I'd dream of eating the iguana.

IDEA Fitness member
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    I'm Asian.................I'd dream of eating the iguana.

IDEA Fitness member

You're having those dreams because you eat too soon before bed
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    The note says: "If you eat right before going to bed...you will die."

w93SW.gif