You sleep HOW much??

Options
124»

Replies

• morgan_pope
    morgan_pope Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I try to get about 7 hours during the week and 9 on the weekend.....I'd sleep 10-11, if I could, but my alarm wakes me up!!!

Sleep (or the lack there of) does affect weight gain/loss to a certain degree. I had to hunt around to find an article with the details (can't find where I read it, but I found a helpful link). The cliff notes version is this: during sleep, we produce a hormone called leptin, which during the day tells us to stop eating. If we don't get enough sleep, we don't produced enough hormone to balance out against another hormone called ghrelin which tells us to eat (I assume we produce this one during the day). SO, lack of sleep messes with our 'off' switch.......which means we are more likely to eat more.

http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/excessive-sleepiness-10/lack-of-sleep-weight-gain

On a side note, I read somewhere else that sleeping in on the weekends (i.e. getting 3+ more hours than during the week) is actually more harmful b/c it screws with your internal clock and make it even harder to get up on Monday.....as if it isn't already hard enough!!!!
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    You better believe sleep affects weight loss.

Most people need about 8 hours. Few can get away with 7. Few need 9.

If you need an alarm clock to wake up, you're not getting enough sleep and your sleep cycle is out of whack.

If you take a nap, and it lasts for more than an hour, then you're not getting enough sleep.

I hear it's still "ok" to split your sleep up but I don't believe it.
  • JennW130
    JennW130 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    i sleep anywhere from 6 to 9 hours, if my kids would let me sleep any later, I totally would.
  • LuccyH
    LuccyH Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I dont get enough sleep and I know that. My week is usually about 20-25 hours of sleep. That sucks.
  • BiggyFuzz
    BiggyFuzz Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I use to work on Wall Street and i slept like 4,5 hours a night, 6 on the weekends.

Right now i get about 6,7
  • Brianna72994
    Options
    I'm sure sleep does affect weight loss!

I get about 9 or 10 hours a night
  • Sharkington
    Options
    I try to sleep at least 8 hours every night. I can't really say whether more sleep helps with weight loss, but I know getting less (even as much as 6 hours) affects my energy levels and my work outs. If I don't get enough sleep, I tend to drag along all day.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I can get by on 4-5 one night if I need to but by the next night, I better get 8 or my ability to concentrate is severely diminished.

There is a medical condition having to do with people who need very few hours of sleep. But it is so rare, when a controlled study was done, very few people who claimed to have it actually did have it. They just weren't getting enough sleep.

See Shift Work Sleep Disorder article from Cleveland Clinic http://bit.ly/Sleep_Disorder
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Between 6 and 7 hrs a night, including weekends because I don't want to sleep past 8 AM on weekends. It makes my days less productive. But it is not uninterruptive sleep because I get up once and sometimes twice to use the bathroom. It sucks!
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    There is some research that says that people who get 7-9 hrs of sleep weight less. Whether sleeping 7-9 hours causes, or even assists, weight loss is up for grabs, but the correlation is there.

I try to get at least 7 hrs but it doesn't always work. I have noticed that when I consistently get 7-8 hrs of sleep my weight loss gets better. It's possible that when I'm more rested my motivation is better and I don't give in to temptation as easily.

Is it a placebo effect? Who cares!
    Of all the crazy things people do to lose weight (crash diets, crazy supplements, etc) it seems like sleep would be one of the easier things to do that makes sense!
  • kittybabexo
    Options
    6-7 sometimes 8+ :)
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    6-8hrs.
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Not sure how sleep cycle affects weight loss but I seep between 5-8 hours when I'm not sick or suffering from insomnia
  • willowdancer
    Options
    I am fortunate enough to be able to sleep as much as I want; anywhere from 8-12 hours a night. I usually only sleep about 8 or nine hours, but I have found that the harder I workout the more sleep my body wants. I figure its good recovery time and I would rather sleep lots and recover faster so I can make better use of the hours that I am awake than to deny myself sleep and set productivity back. If I don't get enough sleep I get obnoxious and grumpy; I guess I never grew out of that from being a toddler!

The body heals itself when you sleep. This alone makes me think sleeping is important to weight loss, aside from all the other good information provided on this thread.
  • makemewannadie
    makemewannadie Posts: 401 Member
    Options

Of all the crazy things people do to lose weight (crash diets, crazy supplements, etc) it seems like sleep would be one of the easier things to do that makes sense!

So true! Not only for weight loss but for overall well-being too...
  • Megzfitlog
    Options
    Thanks for all the input. I'm going to try for a little more sleep and see where that gets me.