I want your secret

Options

Replies

• mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Eat more protein than what MFP tells you to. Do 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat, which is recommended by top nutritionists for best results. You can change your goals by going to My Home - Goals - Change - Custom and change the percentages there. A great weight lifting book that a lot of people on here use says that black is to fashion what protein is to your diet: It makes you thinner.

I've lost 40lbs in 6 months on here and some tips I would suggest are:

-Buy measuring cups and spoons and measure and log every single bite. do NOT guess or estimate.
    -Figure out how many calories to eat by trial and error. Eating TDEE-20% didn't work for me and I eat well below my BRM and am having success and lots of energy.
    -Definitely work out with weights. Start slow with something fun like Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred and add more exercising in. I now work out 5 times a week for an hour or more and that allows me to eat more since I eat back my exercise calories. Eating more and exercising hard are great for your metabolism.

Lastly, recommit yourself EVERY SINGLE DAY. Taking a day off here and there doesn't work for living a healthy lifestyle, you have to be consistent.

Best of luck to you, I know you can do this! Add me as a friend if you want and I'll help keep you motivated.
  • thooks0614
    thooks0614 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Not expecting perfection out of myself. If I fall or stumble I pick right back up and keep going hard. Also realizing that laziness will get me nowhere, it's going to be hard so I might as well work hard! The key is making good decisions more often then bad ones, listening to that little voice that tells you to make the healthier decision. Eventually that little voice becomes the louder voice.
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    No secrets, just lots of hard work and dedication. No excuses, just do it.
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    The only secrets you need:
    1. Eat at a calorie deficit consistently
    2. Find an exercise routine you enjoy and do it consistently.
    3. Stay patient and continue to repeat steps 1 and 2.

this - and don't deny yourself things, portion control, and pick foods that are filling
  • StephG1130
    StephG1130 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Decided to lose weight and get fit.

QFT. All the little 'tips and tricks' mean squat if you don't have the genuine desire to change your life!

truth
  • Khiltbold
    Khiltbold Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    you need to talk to your obgyn or Dr. If your breast feeding it is more calories a day. Don't make any changes now till after its born!

I have already talked to my midwife. Thank you!
    My daughter isn't born yet and I haven't made any changes to anything.

Hi!! :) I just wanted throw my 2 cents out there,
    You will loose a lot of weight Breastfeeding!! I lost all of my baby weight and then some while doing it. You burn 600 calories a day BF. and it is so much better for the baby! And yay for seeing midwifes! They are amazing! ;) and Congrats on being pregnant.
  • mambagirl
    mambagirl Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Make small goals.

It can be overwhelming to change everything at once.My first week I focused on eliminating liquid calories.2nd week I got more exercise..it was not much-just the amount that I could reasonably live with,3rd week I focused on lowering my sodium intake,4th week I cooked more homecooked meals to store in the freezer...I did these small changes while logging on here everyday.
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    Get your butt into the weight room, pick up some heavy things and put them down again. Stay away from the hot pink barbie dumbells!

Drink tons of water

Eat plenty of protein

Find vegetables that you love and put them in your face

Eat every 3-4 hours

Track your calories honestly

Learn about proper portions

Make sure you eat ENOUGH

Eat whole, unprocessed food as much as you can.
  • katiedidit1
    katiedidit1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    If someone already said this I'm sorry for repeating. I did skim...
    I understand that you are not going to lose weight yet;) Still preggers. However now may be the perfect time to start logging everything you eat so that when your little pumpkin is freed you will already be in the habit of logging. Being a new mommy is so full of new things you don't want one more new thing.

I'm so excited for the new spirit you are building! And again, check with your midwife for an idea of how many calories you should be taking in now (to maintain until baby time) that will be something to log towards.

Blessings to you for making the choice to live your life so you can really enjoy being a mommy!
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    This.

115lbs lost and kept off. Wait, I do have a secret..... Food is food.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,665 Member
    Options
    CONSISTENCY and DESIRE. Without those 2, the rest are just temporary fixes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • shamansa
    shamansa Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I think there are no secrets We know what to do. It's how you do it.
  • bufger
    bufger Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I'll write it down in order of the things I did. This is over 4 months so far:

Quit soda. Started to drink lots of water (had to force myself at first) I found it easier to drink water from a sports bottle in sips
    Gym membership - walking, cycling and some rowing x3 per week
    Started playing basketball once a week
    Started strength training at the gym x3 per week and doing less gym cardio
    Started P90X at home
    Started running

So basically my routine now is a couple of cardio sessions a week with either running or basketball. I get in 2-3 strength sessions a week and on top of that I do some P90X but not so often at the moment.

I still drink lots of water. I do have some diet coke every now and then but i think thats about 1 can a week now! I cook meals more so i know whats in them.
  • kimmrdodge
    kimmrdodge Posts: 190 Member
    Options

QFT. All the little 'tips and tricks' mean squat if you don't have the genuine desire to change your life!

^
    This

The secret is there is no secret. Dedication, persistence, consistency, and Hard work! And finding ways to keep yourself motivated. That's it, simple as that. Diet is key.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    My 'secret' is to keep it simple.

1) Eat mostly nutritious foods at a reasonable deficit (ie 1lb or less) but still have treats
    2) Hit my macros (1g of protein per lb of LBM, 0.35g fat per total body weight as a minimum)
    3) Strength train
    4) Take a diet break every couple of months
    5) Try to get enough sleep
    6) Be as accurate in my weighting/measuring/logging as possible
    7) Eat ice-cream every day
    8) Be patient
  • steelmaggie228
    steelmaggie228 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I like that you have a goal/reward system. I do the same thing! My rewards are usually designer clothes haha. Good luck, you can do it!! :happy:
  • steelmaggie228
    steelmaggie228 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Also, if you have Groupon or Living Social in your area, sign up and keep an eye out for fun, new fitness classes. I've been doing that a lot lately, I'm learning a ton and having a blast. Plus a lot of the deals are killer! I've gotten deals for CrossFit, Zumba, belly-dancing, exotic dancing, aerial and bikram yoga.
  • keelz2010
    Options
    nutella and poptarts.

true story.

Love it..mine is eat chocolate every day, works for me :)
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Dr. Kelso: You are going to shut your damn yapper and listen for a change, because I got you pegged, sweetheart. You want to take the easy way out with the surgery because you're scared. You're scared because if you try and fail, there's only you to blame. Well, Missy, let me break this down for you, Bobbo-style. Life is scary. Get used to it.
    J.D.: [Narration] And then it seemed like Dr. Kelso wasn't only talking to her.
    Dr. Kelso: There are no magical fixes. It's all up to you. So get up off your keister, get out of here, and go start doin' the work.
    Nell Goldman: What if it's too hard?
    Dr. Christopher Turk: Yeah, what if it's too hard?
    Dr. Kelso: Turkleton, I have no idea why you're chiming in, but I'll say this to both of you. Nothing in this world that's worth having comes easy.
  • DebraAukett
    DebraAukett Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    My secret is accepting that there's no secret, only hard work. Believing that it can be done, believing in myself, giving it my best shot. Also by not depriving myself, I can longer sustain it and make it a way of living and not just a diet. So I still allow myself chocolate, just not a whole bar, but 2 blocks of dark chocolate rather, I will still eat cake and pizza but only on special occasions.

good luck for your journey!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!