Looking for a good bread replacement

Options
dkruse1969
dkruse1969 Posts: 4 Member
I need my sandwich, but want to start getting off of such a high amount of wheat and carbs. I was looking for something to use in place of wheat bread. Something like a pita or such.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Joseph's brand makes some good replacements. I use the lavash bread or the low carb pitas- they have a full line of stuff to choose from. I get them online at Netrition.com, but I've heard of some WalMarts and other stores having the brand. Depends where you live, I suppose.
  • ImperfectedBeauty
    ImperfectedBeauty Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Today I made two open faced sandwiches on whole grain rice cake. it was surprisingly really delicious and filling. The two rice cakes together were 80calories, 16g carbs, 2g protein, and zero everything else (including sodium which is why i love them so much!).
  • crobl
    crobl Posts: 380
    Options
    I rarely eat a "sandwhich" - but I used tortilla wraps instead of bread because I'm more of a wrap kind of girl. I use Trader Joe's Reduced Carb Whole Wheat tortillas. They're less than 50 calories a wrap. Kinda small, but I use them for everything.
  • legaline
    legaline Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    low-carbers have something called "oopsie rolls" made from eggs and cream cheese. (a google search should bring up the recipe). the texture is not bread like, but they taste just fine and work as a bread substitute.
  • TLCEsq
    TLCEsq Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    My parents use a product called "Flat Out" and make wraps, etc. My dad is diabetic so he has to watch his carbs.
  • blackgold86
    blackgold86 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Don't know if you have Mountain Bread, but you might have something similar! I am currently working my way through the Corn one.. Very versatile! Large and 70 calories a piece..http://www.mountainbread.com.au/cgi-bin/index.pl
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    Sara Lee's 45 calories and Delightful wheat bread...DELICIOUS at 45 cals, 10 carbs, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein per slice:)
  • WeekndOVOXO
    WeekndOVOXO Posts: 779 Member
    Options

How the hell do they make this?
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Waffles!

waffle-sandwich-dunkin-donuts.jpg
  • Melaniec78
    Melaniec78 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Use lettuce leaves to make a wrap
  • heather_huggins
    heather_huggins Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    i agree with the flat outs! they make a bunch of different flavors, people use them for wraps, pizzas, etc.
  • Jeffersz
    Options
    Sara Lee's 45 calories and Delightful wheat bread...DELICIOUS at 45 cals, 10 carbs, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein per slice:)

I use this too, it's deeee lish!
  • ninjapixie87
    ninjapixie87 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    "Sandwich Thins" ~100 cal per sandwich (There are several brands that make them, they're like thin pita buns)
    Merita Lite Hamburger Bun ~80 cal per bun
    Pitas
    Wraps
    Try a lettuce wrap
  • cyndispot
    Options
    Pitas, tortillas those are all good...but there is a sprouted bread out there called Ezekiel. I used to eat it all the time (it's hard to find in my area now) and it's pretty good. maybe look into that. It has to be kept in the fridge/freezer, but it's actually pretty good. (And I think there are more than one variety available). That's what I'd suggest, but I like the feel of bread in my hand....if I'm having a sandwich.
  • smilingselena
    smilingselena Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    i make my own cauliflower bread!
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    i make my own cauliflower bread!

I hope this is a joke
  • bzthaden
    bzthaden Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My staple food for years and years was cheese and bread--a real peasant diet. What I read was that green bananas have the lowest glycemic index of any food. I started eating green bananas with peanut butter and find that it doesn't make me gain weight and it keeps my bread intake to a minimum--mostly no bread a day.. I'm not a perfect weight (although I was getting there while I filled out my food diary daily) but once I started eating oatmeal with chia seeds for breakfast (make sure to soak the chia seeds in a good amount of water (about five times the ounces of the chia seeds) before adding them to the oatmeal) and green bananas with peanut butter for lunch, my desire for bread completely disappeared. What I can't control is dinner--my husband cooks whatever tastes good to him--but I skip the bread unless it's a baked type sandwich. Also, my sweet tooth takes over sometimes. At least I pulled my bread and cheese tooth!
  • gwicks54
    gwicks54 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I am a big Joseph's fan but they do have some wheat. I like the falx, oat & wheat pitas & flat bread. The calorie counts are low & if you subtract the fiber the car counts are low too. I make sandwiches but I also have cheese toast, cinnamon toast, garlic bread etc. Anything you can think of really. The flat bread gets really cracker like when toasted. Hope you find something you enjoy!
  • Calantorntain
    Calantorntain Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Replace each slice of bread with a chicken breast :laugh:

What do you usually eat on a sandwich? Could you just increase the veggie content, and turn it into a salad?