WHITE RICE

ALCOHOL

DIET SODA

but I don't eat as much...

AND CHOCOLATE OH NEVER CHOCOLATE
  • princessthecat22
    princessthecat22 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    the only thing I gave up is fastfood really, a mcdonalds double cheese burger just taste gross to me now.
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    I don't really want to give up any particular food or drink. But I am willing to adjust my day to pay for the calories. Although I have been having a hard time getting as many Buffalo Wings as I would like.
  • THuffman1967
    THuffman1967 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I love this post, and I will never give up milk chocolate. Everything in moderation, right??
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I will give up whatever I need to to reach my goals but in no way do I expect others to do the same. For years I didn't think I could ever give up alcohol (Vodka with cranberry to be exact) but then here I am today and I have probably had 5 cocktails this year and all of them were on my Vegas trip in September...who woulda thought. :-)
  • shrinkingislander
    shrinkingislander Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Real crunchy all natural peanut butter (Adams)

Feta Cheese and Pickles (just a tiny bit every day, satisifes my salt craving)

Real maple syrup for my oatmeal

Come to think of it, this list is probably a mile long because nothing is really off limits, moderation moderation
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Just for the record, white rice is actually healthier than brown rice. While brown rice has more nutrients overall, the bran coating actually prevents the human body from being able to digest and absorb them, which basically makes brown rice nutritionally empty to humans.

source?
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9302338
    Results show that despite higher nutrients contents of brown rice compared to white rice, experimental datas does not provide evidence that the brown rice diet is better than the diet based on white rice. Possible antinutricional factors present in brown rice have adverse effects on bioavailability of this cereal nutrients.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11347296
    These results indicate that brown rice should have a higher level of iron fortification than in white rice or be combined with other foods that improve iron availability as meats, vegetables or fruits.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21795429
    Epidemiologic studies have suggested that higher consumption of white rice (WR) is associated with increased risk for type 2 diabetes mellitus. However, it is unclear whether substituting brown rice (BR) for WR can improve metabolic risk factors. A total of 202 middle-aged adults with diabetes or a high risk for diabetes were randomly assigned to a WR (n = 101) or BR group (n = 101) and consumed the rice ad libitum for 16 wk. Metabolic risk markers, including BMI, waist circumference, blood pressure, glycated hemoglobin, and serum lipid, glucose, and insulin concentrations were measured before and after the intervention. Over the course of the intervention, no between-group differences were found for any markers except the serum LDL cholesterol concentration, which decreased more in the WR group compared to the BR group (P = 0.02). However, this effect was observed only among participants with diabetes (n = 47). The reversion rate of reduced serum HDL cholesterol was marginally higher in the BR group (14.9%) than in the WR group (6.9%) (P = 0.07). Among participants with diabetes, a greater reduction in diastolic blood pressure was observed in the BR group compared to the WR group (P = 0.02). Our study suggests that incorporating BR into the daily diet for 16 wk did not substantially improve metabolic risk factors. Further studies with larger sample sizes, longer durations of follow-up, and different varieties of rice are needed to carefully examine the role of BR in the prevention and management of diabetes.
    This last one is my favorite, for all the times people say diabetics need to eat brown rice instead of white rice and bring up the whole glycemic index thing (which has been debunked over and over, but that's another topic for another post,) a study that shows changing from white rice to brown rice has absolutely no effect.

It's just a myth.
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    dark chocolate - but not the factory made crap like hersheys.
    Red wines and full flavored beers (although I rarely drink anyways)
    Dates
  • Artemis00diana
    Options
    Whipped cream! (with some kind of chocolate under it), my grandma's homemade cookies and alcohol... But not together (and hopefuly in smaller potions)
  • TrinaJ11
    TrinaJ11 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Love this. I needed to see this post. I refuse to give up white rice too. I've been on a brown rice kick lately but after buying a bag of white I'm reminded of it's deliciousness. Also Bacon, Liquor, and any sweet treats I like in moderation.
  • Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    good ol' burgers and fries...om nom
  • Ronngie
    Ronngie Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Sushiiiii
  • AggieFan2011
    AggieFan2011 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I love this post! I completely agree with you in that I'm not trying to become some fitness obsessed person who has next to no body fat and eats an impossible diet. I just want to lose weight and be healthy and happy. I know that I will never be able to resist certain things, but I also know that everything is ok in moderation.

Alcohol is definitely not being given up any time soon! I can limit my intake more, but sometimes I need a beer or margarita after a long day or a glass of wine when I'm stressed. And sometimes I just want to go out with my friends and have a fun time!

Pizza is definitely something I can't give up either! Or the occasional trip to Buffalo Wild Wings. Yummm!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I wont give up my diet hot chocolate drink, even though it probably contains various nasties.
    I wont give up my splenda yet as I haven't found a decent stevia alternative that works in my coffee and hot chocolate.
    I wont give up having some store bought meals like veggie sausages, fish pie and moroccan vegetables and chickpeas with quinoa, because I am just not in the right place of mind to get into cooking from scratch right now. Hopefully it wont kill me to have packaged meals still, given Marks and Spencer has pretty clean ingredient lists.
    I wont give up chocolate or the occasional piece of cake, cupcake or muffin when having a coffee out.

However I fortunately also fill the rest of my diet with fish, steamed vegetables, fruit, greek yoghurt, eggs, cottage cheese, nuts and oatmeal so I don't think I am doing too badly.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I love this post! I completely agree with you in that I'm not trying to become some fitness obsessed person who has next to no body fat and eats an impossible diet. I just want to lose weight and be healthy and happy. I know that I will never be able to resist certain things, but I also know that everything is ok in moderation.

Alcohol is definitely not being given up any time soon! I can limit my intake more, but sometimes I need a beer or margarita after a long day or a glass of wine when I'm stressed. And sometimes I just want to go out with my friends and have a fun time!

Pizza is definitely something I can't give up either! Or the occasional trip to Buffalo Wild Wings. Yummm!

Have to agree there, I must say, some I have met in the fitness industry, especially some of the personal trainers I have met, are the most boring people in terms of their obsession with living on lettuce, egg whites, chicken, cottage cheese and not much else.
  • makaiya
    makaiya Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I love this post!

I refuse to give up on real sugar, burgers, fries, ice cream, cheese, bread and the occasional can of ice cold Coke.
  • bartonbogs
    Options
    all in moderation... bacon, cheese, and chocolate. and not all at once :)
  • NureeniWright
    Options
    Life just isn't worth living without being able to go out with friends for thai food and finish it off with a delicious scoop of ice cream (I'm a sucker for anything salted caramel, earl grey tea, burnt caramel or fig jam.I can't resist trying pretty much any flavour out of the ordinary) My other weaknesses are soft white cheese on crusty sourdough, Salmon and avocado sushi with white rice (brown rice sushi is plain wrong) and steak and brie pizza with a swirl of hollandaise sauce. I just try to limit myself to having these sorts of things once or twice a week in decently sized portions and its all good.

I'm currently working on trying to make sure that when I eat the less healthy options, its because i'm going to really enjoy them and not because I've forgotten to pack my lunch to work and I have to buy something unhealthy.
  • Hannaaah1990
    Options
    Bread and cheese, everything else I'm pretty much ok with :)