Protein in a vegetarian diet

Options
Hey everyone!

I'm a vegetarian and have been for a few years now. I want to up my protein because I've read that it is a good way to lose weight, however, I am having a hard time trying to find ways to incorporate it into my diet. I've started to eat egg whites every morning, add beans to salads, etc. I also eat cheese because that has a decent amount of protein, but it is also high in fat so I'm trying to find a good balance of it.

Does anyone have any ideas or recipes they like that have protein and are vegetarian friendly?

Any ideas would be awesome :)

-Emily

Replies

• MisguidedRoses
    MisguidedRoses Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Beans, eggs, beets, spinach, milk, whole grains.
    Recently i made cabbage enchiladas with black beans they were amazing!
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Check out an article I recently wrote about protein

Www.GetWithItForLife.com/blog
  • emmyelleNYC
    emmyelleNYC Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy! Maybe I should start making omelets in the morning instead. I feel like lunch is my least protein rich mealtime though.
  • wreath7
    wreath7 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    quinoa? lentils?
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Spirulina is a type of blue-green algae that is rich in protein, vitamins, minerals, and carotenoids, antioxidants that can help protect cells from damage. It contains nutrients, including B complex vitamins, beta-carotene, vitamin E, manganese, zinc, copper, iron, selenium, and gamma linolenic acid (an essential fatty acid).

Spirulina -- like any blue-green algae -- can be contaminated with toxic substances called microcystins. It can also absorb heavy metals from the water where it is grown. For these reasons, it is important to buy spirulina from a trusted brand.

Source: http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/spirulina-000327.htm#ixzz2EKLWibHN
    Follow us: @UMMC on Twitter | MedCenter on Facebook
  • dsmpunk
    dsmpunk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Beans, nuts, whey, soy etc
  • nornas42
    nornas42 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is such a good one! Its high in protein but eats like a grain, so you can mix tons of stuff into it. I've had quinoa as a side dish, part of a main dish, or even as an ingredient in vegan burritos. So yummy!
  • emmyelleNYC
    emmyelleNYC Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link!! That's an awesome list. I've heard mixed things about Quinoa (taste wise) but heard its awesome nutritionally. Do you have any ideas what to do/how to make it?
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose weight and be healthy, don't worry about your protein, and eat plenty of fruits and vegetables. The whole protein myth has just been perpetuated as a way to keep selling nutritionally ignorant people chopped up animals as food.

Eating a vegetarian diet, you will get enough protein as long as you are eating whole, unprocessed plant foods.
  • diddyk
    diddyk Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is my favourite for lunches. I make quinoa salad, chopped veggies, quinoa, black beans and an olive oil/balsamic drizzled on top. . Or I have mixed green salad, with some quinoa to make it more filling. I make quinoa in batches and store it in the fridge, it keeps for a few days and makes it easier to prepare lunches to take to work.

I also love curried lentils, and broccoli and cheese quiche.

Edited to add: Quinoa is cooked like rice.
  • pennyburton
    pennyburton Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm also a vegetarian and I am using products from Nashua Nutrition. They have packaged foods with additional protein. Check out the nutritional labels to see if it meets your needs, I'm sure there are some people who object to protein isolates. Also try protein powder in smoothies. I make one with Greek yogurt, a little water, protein powder, frozen fruit, and ice and it is great! I also use a lot of nutritional yeast in stir fry for added protein and of course tofu!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Upping your protein is not necessarily a good way to lose weight. The only benefit from a weight loss perspective is that it has a higher TEF which will make a small difference. I am not saying it is not important but it has more indirect benefits than weight loss.

I am a vegetarian and have an open diary of you want to get ideas. But basically:

- milk
    - 'fake meats' such as seitan, soy, quorn
    - greek yogurt
    - whey protein
    - nutritional yeast
    - hemp seeds
    - quinoa and lentils
  • ashleymm1982
    ashleymm1982 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am also vegetarian and I struggle with protein too. I love quinoa!! Its super easy to make and my favorite recipe is Lemon Quinoa Cilantro Chickpea Salad. Here is the link: http://thediva-dish.com/uncategorized/healthy-living-class-green-drinks-sweet-eats-and-salads/
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Pepitas (pumpkin seeds), or any seeds for that matter. Also, bean or lentil soups.
  • kirk1115
    kirk1115 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I eat vegetarian all week long, I still occasionally eat meat on the weekend but I really am not a fan of it. All animal type proteins: meat and dairy are complete proteins, all other are not. You have to mix whole grains with legume type proteins to get everything that is essential for protein. You can drink protien shakes, the one I drink gives me 20 grams protein. Get the whey kind, it is animal protein. Also greek yogurt has about 14 grams. Feel free to add me and check out my food diary. Also here is a vegetarian soup that I love so much that I eat nearly everyday:
    (Roasted Red Pepper Minestrone) serving size 1 & 1/2 cup....makes 10 servings
    calories264-calories from fat21-protein12g-carbs46g-total fat2g
    saturated fat0..3g-trans fat0g-fiber10g-sodium362mg-cholesterol0g

1Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    1 white onion, finely chopped
    1 carrot, peeled, trimmed and finely chopped
    1 1/2 tsp sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    1/4 cup dry red wine (optional)
    4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
    2 cups water
    1 tsp italian seasoning
    1x8-oz jar roasted bell peppers
    1x 15-oz can, no salt added diced tomatoes plus juice
    1x 15-oz can, no salt added kidney beans, drained and rinsed
    1x 15-oz can, no salt added great northern white beans, drained and rinsed
    1 medium zucchini, ends trimmed and diced
    1 cup trimmed fresh or frozen green beans cut in pieces
    2 bay leaves
    2 Tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
    2 cups whole grain pasta or you can use brown rice(have this cooked seperate first before adding to soup)
    4 cups baby spinach, lightly packed

Heat olive oil in a large soup pot or dutch oven on medium. Add onion a, carrot, salt and pepper, and cook until soft but not brown, about 5 min. Stir garlic and cook about 1 min. longer. Add red wine and scrape any crusty bits that might have formed on bottom of pot.
    Add remaining ingredients up to, but not includong pasta or spinach. Increase heat to bring soup to a boil, then partially cover and reduce heat to simmer for about 30 min.. Uncover, remove bay leaves and stir in spinach and past/rice.
  • MrsMJZ
    MrsMJZ Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    These pre-seasoned packets of quinoa by Roland are awesome! They are delicious and there are 6 flavors to choose from! All you do is add water and simmer. There are 3 servings in each bag so, you can make enough for a meal and have leftovers for lunch or dinner.

If you can't find them in a store, you can by them online at the Roland site or on Amazon...

Here is the website, http://rolandfood.com/#5htPak6H6
  • maerieanne
    maerieanne Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    beans, lentils, chickpeas, any kind of legumes actually

soy in the huuuuge variety of presentations it comes, tofu, tempeh, edamame

nuts, soy protein powder
  • edennew
    edennew Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I make a lot of fritattas. I use 10 egg whites and 2 whole eggs and 1 cup of lowfat cottage cheese. I whip the eggs and add cheese in a bowl with a pinch of salt and pepper (sometimes herbs). Then, I sautee baby spinach, red onion and mushrooms. Sometimes I also used chopped up Boca burger or tempeh. Add all the ingredients to a 13x9 pan and bake at 350 until fully cooked and lightly browned on top (30-45 min). This can use any veggies, is great to portion and reheat later and is about 175 calories per serving.
  • Madholm
    Madholm Posts: 167
    Options
    Thanks for the link!! That's an awesome list. I've heard mixed things about Quinoa (taste wise) but heard its awesome nutritionally. Do you have any ideas what to do/how to make it?

It tastes great; I especially love it in stir fry style dishes.

Cooking istructions are on the packet.