Taking Phetermine and Exercising

Options
13»

Replies

• yeah_im_that_girl_
    Options
    Phentermine, not good at all, you lose for some time then no results. And when you get off of it between insufficient calories and you're gonna binge like crazy. It also causes heart problems. All it does pretty much is water weight....
  • mandisu
    mandisu Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Side effects of morbid obesity:

DEATH and...

arthritis and other orthopedic problems, such as lower back pain
    hernias
    heartburn
    adult-onset asthma
    gum disease
    high cholesterol levels
    gallstones
    high blood pressure
    menstrual irregularities or cessation of menstruation (amenorhhea)
    decreased fertility, and pregnancy complications
    shortness of breath that can be incapacitating
    sleep apnea and sleeping disorders
    skin disorders arising from the bacterial breakdown of sweat and cellular material in thick folds of skin or from increased friction between folds
    emotional and social problems

I think I'll settle for the ones posted above.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Phentermine, not good at all, you lose for some time then no results. And when you get off of it between insufficient calories and you're gonna binge like crazy. It also causes heart problems. All it does pretty much is water weight....

If this is true, then why would a medical doctor ever prescribe it?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    12lbs in 6 days... ya thats gonna work..

No offence seriously... but I've lost almost that.. sitting on 7 pounds in last 5 days....

You do not need drugs to do that... just a healthy metabolism and a will to eat less than usual... nothing special... If you cannot comprehend that weight loss, then your metabolism might be slowing down in my eyes... I have 1700-1900c a day and usually lose around 1 pound or so a day :/ and before ask... I'm around 130 pounds... so no, I'm not exactly morbidly obese etc where it could be explained away as something else..

I've been having beer + pizza last few nights and still losing... No idea why or what up, but hey, if I'm losing whilst having beer + pizza... I aint going to complain lol

You do realize that rapid weight loss can be a sign of several illnesses? Because we all know, it's not 1 lb of fat per day you are losing. But if it's persistent for more than a few weeks, you might want to get checked out.

This. Weight loss that rapid (beyond the initial water weight loss many experience when starting a new diet), especially when you only weigh 130, isn't a sign of a healthy metabolism, it's a sign of a problem.
  • kelstar777
    Options
    Exercise will be ok if your doctor is ok with it. Keep an eye on it though as it could increase your BP. The other thing too is weight loss is predominantly about what we eat, so you need to get that right and not rely solely on the pill to manage that as the weight will come back on.

Best of luck, this process is certainly not easy.
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    This topic would be better suited for a private group discussion than the main boards. There is a communal responsibility to not suggest diets or treatments that promote unsafe weight loss practices. Using this drug under the care of your doctor is one thing, getting advice for how to use it from a public internet board is another. I'm sure you can find a private group of people that are using this drug, or if there isn't one, maybe consider starting one.

I do not think this should be private at all.

I think everyone has a right to know about all the side effects of this pill, good or bad, and each individual experience. It is different for everyone. Information such as this, should not be kept private. no one is encouraging anyone to take anything. People are simply giving their own experiences, and suggestions. The OP is already taking it, and has been under doctors orders. No one is forcing a pill down her throat. As a community we have the responsibility to let a person know about all results, and not shy away from any such topic and keep it private. How ridiculous.

This is not a medical advice board.

Again I am not giving any medical advice, so congratulations on stating the obvious of this not being a medical advice board. You get one gold star and a cookie! good for you.

Like I said, think I am repeating myself here, people are giving their own experiences here, and suggestions... no one is giving medical advice.
    Thanks! I like cookies.

Would you consider the following post advice:
    Drop the pill, keep the exercise
    Seems to me like that is advice to go against the OP's doctor's orders.

I understand that YOU aren't giving medical advice, but not everyone is following your lead.

A: The OP didn't mention in the ORIGINAL post that she was under medical advice.....so there's that.

B: There are many doctors who prescribe these pills simply to make money from people who are desperate to lose weight. I'm not saying that the OP's physician is one of them, but they are out there and they will tell people anything they want to here in order to keep them coming in and paying through the nose for the office visits.

An opinion was asked for and offered......it's simply advice to be taken or left.
  • Kat5343
    Kat5343 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I take Adipez (phentermine) as per my doctor. I am not severely caloried deficient. I am on a 1200 calorie low carb diet also. Everyone says you go back to eating the way you used to... why? I certainly know better than to eat some of the things I used to. Also, by filling up faster your stomach gets used to eating smaller amounts of food. I tried to eat a big meal at my parent's house and was miserable. Just my observation. But the appetite supression helps me tremendously.
  • faireplay
    Options

Then why would a medical doctor ever prescribe it?

Because some doctor's are quacks and will write you a scrip for anything if you want it. Most doctor's and medical journals advise against these types of drugs except in the case of extreme obesity and even then it is a short term scrip to be followed by a healthy eating plan and exercise.
    Now if you hit up one of those shady "weight loss" clinics then you can stay on it for years.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    This topic would be better suited for a private group discussion than the main boards. There is a communal responsibility to not suggest diets or treatments that promote unsafe weight loss practices. Using this drug under the care of your doctor is one thing, getting advice for how to use it from a public internet board is another. I'm sure you can find a private group of people that are using this drug, or if there isn't one, maybe consider starting one.

I do not think this should be private at all.

I think everyone has a right to know about all the side effects of this pill, good or bad, and each individual experience. It is different for everyone. Information such as this, should not be kept private. no one is encouraging anyone to take anything. People are simply giving their own experiences, and suggestions. The OP is already taking it, and has been under doctors orders. No one is forcing a pill down her throat. As a community we have the responsibility to let a person know about all results, and not shy away from any such topic and keep it private. How ridiculous.

This is not a medical advice board.

Again I am not giving any medical advice, so congratulations on stating the obvious of this not being a medical advice board. You get one gold star and a cookie! good for you.

Like I said, think I am repeating myself here, people are giving their own experiences here, and suggestions... no one is giving medical advice.
    Thanks! I like cookies.

Would you consider the following post advice:
    Drop the pill, keep the exercise
    Seems to me like that is advice to go against the OP's doctor's orders.

I understand that YOU aren't giving medical advice, but not everyone is following your lead.

A: The OP didn't mention in the ORIGINAL post that she was under medical advice.....so there's that.

B: There are many doctors who prescribe these pills simply to make money from people who are desperate to lose weight. I'm not saying that the OP's physician is one of them, but they are out there and they will tell people anything they want to here in order to keep them coming in and paying through the nose for the office visits.

An opinion was asked for and offered......it's simply advice to be taken or left.

My point exactly.
  • barkin43
    barkin43 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Have not tried just plain phentermine, but tried Phen-fen one day years ago (a friend had them). I felt as if there were thousands of needles sticking me in the head. I promised God if He would let me get through it, I would never take another! LOL! I never did again, but I know different people have had different reactions. The person who gave it to me ended up with a heart attack after taking it for a few months. Maybe now that you have taken it for a while, you could continue eating smaller portions and exercising and get good weight loss results. Hope you continue to do well.
This discussion has been closed.