I love smoking.

Options

Replies

• NotSoBigNeil
    NotSoBigNeil Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    You don't love smoking. Nobody loves poisoning their body and stinking like an ashtray. I was smoking between 20 and 30 a day for almost 30 years, and used to say the same. It's our way of justifying not being able to quit.

Get yourself an electronic cigarette. I haven't smoked a "real" ciggie for 23 days and NOTHING could make me spark one up again. I have done it, and you can too. Have faith :wink:

What does the e-cig actually do for you though? Does it just replace the habit of having a cigarette in your hand and puffing on it? Do you get an actual buzz off it?

You still get that "throat hit" when you take a drag, and you also get nicotine (depending on what juice you put in your e-cig) but you get none of the sh1t you do from smoking real cigs. It's win - win :wink:
  • coe28
    coe28 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    (lets not forget about the acid trip dreams!!).

Oh! I remember those! I kinda enjoyed them, too. ;)

One of my favorite side effects :)
  • tatianna68
    tatianna68 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I used to think I was in that boat. Many, many ruined quit attempts because I thought I was in that boat.

I read the Easyway to Quit Smoking by Allan Carr and realized I wasn't in that boat. Finished the book, put out my last cigarette and haven't missed them since. I remember chantix costing a lot . . . the book is less than ten bucks. Check it out, it may help.

I have heard that book is a pretty big deal. I'll have to look into it. Chantix is very expensive and for me, once I'm done with the pills I go right back to smoking. So it's only effective while I'm actually on it.

I have found that until you truly want to quit nothing works. I tried for 10 years and failed until I gave up the "I love smoking " excuse and decided I really wanted to quit. Overcoming an addiction is mostly mental, the physical part is short term. Get in the mindset that you will quit and you will.
    Good luck
  • zoober
    zoober Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    On 01/01/2013, it will be 10 years since my last cigarette. I had to quit more than once. If you can last two weeks, the habit is gone and the rest gets easier with every passing day. The only way to quit smoking is very simple, do not smoke the next one. That's the only one you have to worry about. Buproprion works for a lot of folks. Whatever it takes, because smoking kills you. I watched my uncle Tony pass with advanced emphysema, gasping for every breath. Of course I will die, we all do. But not like that. Good luck, keep it up.
  • ATclassof2021
    ATclassof2021 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking for all the right reasons over 5 years ago....I too too chantix for the first 30 days. I started smoking as a teenager and smoked most of my days up until I was almost 43. This journey will get easier and easier as the days pass....however, never even have one, it is an addiction and it only takes one to put you back to where you came from. I will not even smoke a cigar with my buddies, I beat this monster and it aint coming back into my life......EVER!!!

I replaced smoking with running....since quiting I have ran over 20 half marathons (PR is 1:53:06) and 4 full marathons (PR 4:03:22)
  • angelalf1979
    angelalf1979 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Yep. Same boat as you. I love it and miss it. Its been 8 months since I quit. I do love that I can breath and I'm saving money. I guess I love that more. Yeah. I guess I do.
  • coe28
    Options
    I used to run in high school and have always wanted to start again. But I've been smoking since I was 16 so that just wasn't possible. Now maybe within the next year I'll be able to again :smile:
  • coe28
    Options
    I quit smoking for all the right reasons over 5 years ago....I too too chantix for the first 30 days. I started smoking as a teenager and smoked most of my days up until I was almost 43. This journey will get easier and easier as the days pass....however, never even have one, it is an addiction and it only takes one to put you back to where you came from. I will not even smoke a cigar with my buddies, I beat this monster and it aint coming back into my life......EVER!!!

I replaced smoking with running....since quiting I have ran over 20 half marathons (PR is 1:53:06) and 4 full marathons (PR 4:03:22)

Great job. My brother runs halves so I know that your PR is pretty damn good! :smile:
  • MellyGibson
    MellyGibson Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I just quit, too!

I have only been smoking for about 4 years, and I can't say that I ever truly "enjoyed" it. Everyone around me was smoking, I hit an extremely stressful situation (I found my neighbor dead), and just gave in. I couldn't stand anything about them, but figured if I smoked, too, then maybe the smell wouldn't bother me as much.

I never could stand the smell. I hated that I stunk. I hated the wrinkles that seemed to pop up after years of none. I hated EVERYTHING about it - and actually was able to quit last year with the help of eCigs...My husband quit, too...and then his mom died (of a smoking-related illness, no less!). He ended up starting back up and I fell right back into it. Finally I said I'm done!

I got Zyban last Monday and started the process of quitting...I gave myself until Sunday (yesterday) and then NO MORE! I HATE the Zyban! I don't know if it's helped with the cravings/withdrawal symtpoms because the side effects are so horrible! I am really irritable at inconsistent times for NO reason! If that is a withdrawal symptom instead of a side-effect of the drug, then the drug isn't working for me anyway! So, I've stopped taking it.

I didn't do Chantix because of the dreaming side-effect. I already have very vivid and memorable dreams....I certainly don't need them to get any WORSE!

There are some times I'm SO proud of myself and wonder why I was so anxious about quitting! Then there are times when I'm having a craving (I compare them to food cravings and I'm able to resist those) and I try to talk myself into having "Just one" - but I don't give in! :D
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I hope you're right Shell because I don't want to battle this forever. I've been trying to quit for YEARS and I'm tired of the whole process. Obviously the reason I fail is that I do like to smoke so much so I just keep going back to it.

Wolfman, how's that e-cig work out for you? I've had a couple people recommend it but I'm skeptical...

It's the only thing that's worked for me in 20 years, and I've tried it all. I haven't had a puff in 2 months, 16 days, and 1 hour. My lungs are clear and I can run, bike, hike...do all the things used to love before cigarettes took complete control. If you're interested, shoot me a PM and I can be a bit more specifc with some stuff...it gets kind of confusing and complicated at first. Generally, steer clear of the over priced and virtualy worthless pieces of **** they sell at mall kiosks. Stay away from the "cig-alikes"...their ok in a pinch, but really, they're more novelty than anything. Kiosk e-cigs and "cig-alikes" contribute to more transition failures than anything else in my estimation.
  • newjourney2015
    newjourney2015 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I totally understand what you mean! I loved smoking, too! But now I LOVE to say I QUIT SMOKING! I quit March 25, 2012 using an electronic cigarette. I have been e-cig free since August 15th. I hope you can stay quit but we all know it has to be what you want! Do try the e-cig to see if it can fill that "void." Good luck!!
  • FrankWorsley
    FrankWorsley Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I have the highest admiration and respect for those who quit. To those who have done it, congratulations...what a fantastic thing you've done for your body and future health. Always be on guard so you never go back! To those who want to quit, don't give up. You are stronger than your urges and it will be worth it.
  • naihler
    Options
    I'm a smoker....and an outcast...hahaha! I've got the nicotene gum sitting on my dresser, just waiting for me to make my mind up. Yes, I love smoking too. I'm a stay at home mom/housewife...and when I finish the laundry, or clean the kitchen, or change the sheets on the beds...I want to smoke. It's almost like a reward for me!
    I've cut back since I started my weightloss program....just because (the same as you) I'm finding it harder to reallly push it through my cardio. I can't do a lot of high impact/boot camp type workouts, because my back's all screwed up (motorcycle accident).....so, I speed walk and then do strength training with resistence bands.
    I've increased my walktime since I cut back and so far so good. I've been losing the weight I want to.....so, I don't know.
    My goal is to quit, that's why I've got the gum....when I ordered it, I was all gung-hoe about the endeavor...but, when it came down to the time to actually do it....ummmm, yea.
    So yes, I can relate.....and where I'm from, it's colder than hell and walking outside, when the cold air hits my lungs....it hurts! THERE'S MY SIGN!! My good friend (who WAS a heavy smoker) quit...and she told me one thing at a time. 2 and 1/2 weeks ago, I quit eating junk and sugar and creamer in my coffee!!! So, when the time is right....I'll know. Good Luck!
  • alg121710
    alg121710 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I used to think I was in that boat. Many, many ruined quit attempts because I thought I was in that boat.

I read the Easyway to Quit Smoking by Allan Carr and realized I wasn't in that boat. Finished the book, put out my last cigarette and haven't missed them since. I remember chantix costing a lot . . . the book is less than ten bucks. Check it out, it may help.

This book worked for me too. It helps cut through all the bull**** that we tell ourselves...I thought I enjoyed smoking too but really, that was just the addiction talking.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking 4 years ago, and there isnt a day that goes by that I dont wish I could have just 1! But I know what "just 1" means, its means I would start back up again, and I dont want that! I feel so much better, have so much more energy, I dont cough all day, I dont smell... and I save a heck of alot of money! Stick with it, in the long run, youll be glad you did! Lung cancer hits 20, 30, 40, even 50 years later... and when it does, its ugly! I know you dont worry about the health effects now, but those with lung cancer now, are wishing they worried about it then!
  • TeresaB1979
    TeresaB1979 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Do yourself a huge, huge favour and read 'Allen carr's easy way to stop smoking.' I was a heavy smoker for years and reading that book put me in a state of mind whereby I was not only able to stop but able to stop very happily. I hate cigarettes now and wouldn't smoke one if you paid me. And with all due respect you are addicted- otherwise you would not have been 'trying for years' to stop. Don't kid yourself that you aren't an addict. If you weren't you wouldn't have any problem stopping and you wouldn't be here asking how for help... Anyway, please read the book, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Good luck with it! :-)
  • coe28
    Options
    Ok, you've all convinced me. Ordering the book today!!
  • ChristiH4000
    ChristiH4000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Exactly! I still struggle, but we have the same reasons. Wishing you all the best!
  • Emma_Problema
    Emma_Problema Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I've quit in essence. I have a safety pack around in case I lose my cool and need one to help with stress, but that doesn't happen too often. I've never been an addict....well with smoking that is. I'm a social smoker and I smoked a TON when I was in college and around smokers. I smoked to talk to people outside of bars and to chill with my friends when I was outside my dorm. When someone had one, I wanted one. I'm a very socially anxious person and it helps to have something to do with my mouth and hands and a reason to be hanging out. It also is the best excuse to get out of awkward situations.

I suppose I know much better because I actually plan on going into public health. Funny story, I would get stressed about my school work and smoke and then read a paper on how smoking was going to kill me....and then smoke to calm my nerves. Lol.

I've quit because I can't afford to smoke in NY. Going to school in VA was a recipe for disaster. I splurged on a pack here and paid ten bucks. I was not pleased. In VA you can get 3 packs for that. Crazy. I also quit because none of my roommates smoke and I work in community health. There's no one I would smoke with so I've lost the habit and my boyfriend absolutely hates it so I don't smoke around him. Quite different from my past boyfriends with whom I would almost always have a very enjoyable post-coital cig.

Sometimes I miss it, sometimes I don't. I miss the sense of community.
  • TeresaB1979
    TeresaB1979 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Yay! You won't regret it. Just take your time, follow what he is saying and even if you have to read it twice or three times I promise once it sinks in you will have a HUGE new lease of smoke free life. :-)