I love smoking.

Options
12346»

Replies

• Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I loved it too, but quit because I had the chronic cough and recurring bronchitis...and I'd have enough of that crap. The cost savings and the way I feel now is SO awesome though. I'll be celebrating one year smoke-free on January 29th.

Good luck with quitting! :drinker:
  • AliciaStinger
    AliciaStinger Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I hope you're right Shell because I don't want to battle this forever. I've been trying to quit for YEARS and I'm tired of the whole process. Obviously the reason I fail is that I do like to smoke so much so I just keep going back to it.

Wolfman, how's that e-cig work out for you? I've had a couple people recommend it but I'm skeptical...

It works great for my mom - and if you love smoking, it's a nice alternative to all of the things that you mentioned. However, since you're quitting smoking to save money, it's not going to make much of a difference. Between the parts and the flavored liquids (what gets smoked), it's all really expensive anyway. If you're quitting to save money, this probably won't help you much -- although you CAN do it indoors without getting complaints. :-)
  • iris2811
    iris2811 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Ok, you've all convinced me. Ordering the book today!!

You'll not regret that ever - you will feel sorry for all the smokers still at it :-)

I love smoke-free life - my motivator was not wanting to be dependent on the damn things! I'm such an independent person - yet i'd stand in the rain and cold just to have a cigarette?! No more and it's that book that enabled me and three of my friends to do that :-)

Best of luck
  • KMAltig
    KMAltig Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking 10+ years ago. I miss it. I will grab one from a buddy once in a while, and sincerly do enjoy it. A good cigar is my better alternative.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    I smoked for several years and I loved to smoke. Sometimes, I really want to light one up. A gin and tonic and a nice cigarette was heavenly. Then I started working out hard and riding my bike almost daily and I just didn't have the lung capacity to be able to breathe through a workout. So I started weaning off. Then I didn't have any except for 1 a month and that 1 cigarette just made me feel gross and disgusting. I've been completely smoke free since mid-May. Now I can smell a smoker from a mile away. The smell is just nauseating. You can't believe how badly you smell until you can smell how bad other people reek. There is nothing more disgusting than walking into a store and someone is standing right next to the exit puffing away. There are times where I want nothing more than to have a nice cigarette, but it's not worth the toll it takes on your body and not to mention wallet. And I spend a lot of money buying nice clothes and stuff for good hygiene. Why smoke? You're just negating all that.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    I loved it too, but quit because I had the chronic cough and recurring bronchitis...and I'd have enough of that crap. The cost savings and the way I feel now is SO awesome though. I'll be celebrating one year smoke-free on January 29th.

Good luck with quitting! :drinker:

Ah yes, I forgot about the bronchitis. Since I quit smoking, I have not had a cold/cough/bronchitis/sore throat/etc, which I used to get regularly. I work in frozen foods and I'm already at a huge risk of getting sick. The last thing I need is to get a sickness that I could have completely avoided myself.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I loved smoking too but quit about 15 - 16 years ago. It wasn't easy because I really didn't want to quit either. I did it because it was cheaper, healthier, nicer smelling and I'd get to keep my then fiancé long term. (He's allergic to smoke.) Considering the health risks for women, it was a smart move. You'll be happier too after you get past the initial withdrawal. The most difficult part for me was when I went to a bar or socializing in general. To this day, I STILL wish I could have a cigarette when I go to a bar or party. But I won't.
  • floridagirl7264
    floridagirl7264 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I used to think I was in that boat. Many, many ruined quit attempts because I thought I was in that boat.

I read the Easyway to Quit Smoking by Allan Carr and realized I wasn't in that boat. Finished the book, put out my last cigarette and haven't missed them since. I remember chantix costing a lot . . . the book is less than ten bucks. Check it out, it may help.
    [/quote

^^^^^This
  • mikmurphy
    mikmurphy Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey years ago when my mother told me "You know a stroke isn't attractive". I quit for health, vanity and financial reasons.
    I FINALLY don't miss it anymore. Partly due to the fact that my boyfriend smokes and I can't stand the smell of it and think I've actually developed an allergy to it. Which is funny to me as I was a 1 1/2 pack a day smoker.
  • barb_32
    barb_32 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking back in May of this year to help a coworker quit smoking. They were looking at being put on oxygen within a year if they didn't quit, so all of us at work quit smoking to help make it easier on this person. I didn't want to quit but wanted to help, so I did. Not a day goes by that I don't miss smoking cigarrettes, I love them. However I was extremely sick for over two months and finally now I'm starting to feel good. Now I breath easier, especially when I exercise. I unfortunatly put on weight and that has now led me to myfitnesspal and dieting and exercise. I wont start smoking again but if I knew I was terminally ill I would buy a pack in a minute and smoke.
  • Brewster1215
    Brewster1215 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I hope you're right Shell because I don't want to battle this forever. I've been trying to quit for YEARS and I'm tired of the whole process. Obviously the reason I fail is that I do like to smoke so much so I just keep going back to it.

Wolfman, how's that e-cig work out for you? I've had a couple people recommend it but I'm skeptical...

It's the only thing that's worked for me in 20 years, and I've tried it all. I haven't had a puff in 2 months, 16 days, and 1 hour. My lungs are clear and I can run, bike, hike...do all the things used to love before cigarettes took complete control. If you're interested, shoot me a PM and I can be a bit more specifc with some stuff...it gets kind of confusing and complicated at first. Generally, steer clear of the over priced and virtualy worthless pieces of **** they sell at mall kiosks. Stay away from the "cig-alikes"...their ok in a pinch, but really, they're more novelty than anything. Kiosk e-cigs and "cig-alikes" contribute to more transition failures than anything else in my estimation.

Yes! Another vaperer! I quit smoking using ecigs 2 years 7 months ago.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options
    If I have one true regret, it's that I smoked (casually) for almost 20 years. It totally affected my endurance and I know I'd even be more fit than I am now if not for it. If I could turn back time, this would be the one thing that I would change.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    I used to love smoking. I tried to quit many times but started again because despite everything I WANTED to.

It wasn't until one day where I finally felt like I didn't love it anymore that I quit. Just over a year smoke free now!
  • Mamoonie
    Mamoonie Posts: 328
    Options
    I quit smoking today. But I really didn't want to. I like to smoke. I don't only smoke because I'm addicted to the nicotine, but because I simply enjoy it. Yeah, it stinks and makes you a social outcast, but honestly I don't care. I love smoking.

To be honest, my motivation for quitting isn't to live longer and be healthier. My motivation to quit is that it's easier for me to work out and lose weight when I don't smoke and because I'll save more money.

Anyone else in that boat?

I'm not a smoker, never have been, so I don't know how addicted one can be. I've lived around smokers, and I've seen a few of them quitting. I have actually been the only one (so they say), who still was encouraging them when all the others wished they would start smoking again, because of their crankiness, bad mood etc.
    What I read in your words is: you don't want to quit, you like to smoke, you don't care about all the negative effects, you just quit because you think it might be something you should do.
    I miss the real motivation, the real reason as to why you want to quit. You have to know "why" you want to quit (I can't see this in your words), only then you will find the determination to do so, and the willpower to stick with it.
    I really don't want to drag you down. I actually hope that you succeed and I wish you the determination, motivation, willpower and strength to do so!
  • Tamefearnua
    Options
    I'm with you 100%. I love smoking. I had quit for about two months with the help of Chantix. Over the past month or so I've picked it up again :-/ I injured my leg and wasn't able to really workout for about two weeks, and told myself, "I'll just smoke while I'm not able to workout.." DUMBEST idea ever. But yeah...the only reason I wanted to quit in the first place was so I could take in full breaths while working out and not feel like I was gonna die lol. Ugh....I want a cigarette now. :smokin:

Edit: For the two months that I did "quit", I still allowed myself around 2-3 cigs per weekend. It never went past that or carried over into the weekdays. I'd love to get back to that point!
    I quit my Xwife and smoking the same week, I always disliked smoking but enjoyed the kick, as regards my xwife I was never addicted but it did become a bad habit. I did it the cold turkey way and never allowed myself to the pleasure of 2 or 3 per weekend !!!!!!
  • coe28
    coe28 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    What I have learned from all of you and your posts:

1.) I don't actually love smoking. That is my addiction talking and I can live without it.

2.) It is much easier to quit when I have support from people who are in the same struggle or have done it in the past.

3.) I do actually care about the long term affects. Reading some of your posts about health issues and scares makes me realize I really don't want to go through that.

4.) There is life after cigarettes. I don't have to live feeling like I have a void from this nasty little habit I'm kicking. Maybe I won't miss smoking forever and maybe someday that feeling will actually go away.

5.) I deserve to do this for myself. There are so many advantages to quitting (keeping up with my son as he gets older and more active, being able to work out harder, not getting sick as often, saving money, not reaking like smoke...) that it definitely outweighs the little "buzz" I get from each cigarette.

6.) You guys are awesome and have helped me more than you know :smile:
  • CrisN99
    CrisN99 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Now get thee to quitnet.com and read till your eyes bleed. It helps to have a safe place to vent while you are withdrawing. :)
  • SavvyGurl0528
    SavvyGurl0528 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    OK all you non-smokers, do you remember having any withdrawal symptoms. I was really sick for about a week and have been without a smoke for a few days, but I'm telling you, I feel like crap. I am not sure if it is the after effects of my flu or if it has something to do with not smoking. My mouth is dry, I am constantly starving (I mean, stomach growling starving) and I have a weird taste in my mouth. Any tips would be appreciated.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    It is the after effects of your flu.

You may not believe me but the craving for cigarettes is so insignificant that they didn't even disturb your sleep at night. You'd calmly lie down and go for 8 hours peaceful as you please.

It's only when you start *thinking* about it that it bothers you.

It's mental. They don't make you feel good, they make you feel - for a moment - like everyone else gets to feel all day every day; i.e., not in withdrawal!!