1200-1500 calorie eaters...serious question...

Options

Replies

• rebelate
    rebelate Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1300 calories per day and I don't get "feel like death" hungry. I think I actually feel less hungry overall than when I began using MFP. Take a look at what you are consuming for your calorie count. Junk food calories taste really good, but leave me feeling hungrier quicker. I eat a Dannon Light & Fit yogurt, OR Special K Red Berries cereal, and a homemade latte each morning around 7-7:30am and that stays with me until I eat lunch at 12.

See, that would NEVER EVER EVER work for me unless I ate a 32oz tub of the yogurt and 4 servings of the cereal. Interesting.

Omg, same. I don't really consider a special k bar, or a tiny yogurt a breakfast, and certainly not enough to keep me going for 4 hours.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Drink water. A lot of the time you think you're hungry it's actually your body wanting water so drink a glass and see if you are still hungry. At first it was hard not to cave but it became easier and easier. Don't give up on yourself so easy! You've got this! We believe in you!!! Other tricks would be keeping snacks like celery cut up and at hand so if you do get hungry you can munch and crunch on something that is healthy. There are always choices! :)

Currently I am 177.9 lbs and am 5'6".

Thanks for the encouragement--not trying to do the 1200-1500 calorie thing though. I'm adamantly opposed to it! You're very sweet though.

Now I have to ask, why are you adamantly against a 1200-1500 calorie diet?

I just don't think that the vast majority of people need to restrict their calories that drastically.

Of course, it's hard to say either way...since you don't actually know any of these people, and are just people on the internetz

but i do know a heck of a lot about human metabolism, nutrition, fitness, and the endocrine system. I don't need to know these people in order to make the statement that GENERALLY people don't need to restrict their calories that much in order to see progress.
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    1. What's your height/ weight? my weight is around 150-160 lbs right now, height is 5'3

2. Do you get REALLY REALLY hungry during the day? If not, was there an adjustment period? Yes. When I stay around 1,200 calories I am really hungry... I end up binge eating easy, which has caused me to gain back the 15 lbs I lost on here months ago. I am usually satisfied on 1,500 - really depends how active my day was and if I worked out.

3. What do you eat to prevent feeling like death (if you answered that you're not hungry)? used to drink a load of tea and eat veggies to stop hunger.... I would chew ice or gum. Now;
    I am working on raising my calories and focusing more on my TDEE now, Which means I can eat anywhere from 1,500-1,700 calories (500 off of my daily burn) .I don't worry about net.. too confusing.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Drink water. A lot of the time you think you're hungry it's actually your body wanting water so drink a glass and see if you are still hungry. At first it was hard not to cave but it became easier and easier. Don't give up on yourself so easy! You've got this! We believe in you!!! Other tricks would be keeping snacks like celery cut up and at hand so if you do get hungry you can munch and crunch on something that is healthy. There are always choices! :)

Currently I am 177.9 lbs and am 5'6".

Thanks for the encouragement--not trying to do the 1200-1500 calorie thing though. I'm adamantly opposed to it! You're very sweet though.

Now I have to ask, why are you adamantly against a 1200-1500 calorie diet?

I just don't think that the vast majority of people need to restrict their calories that drastically.

Of course, it's hard to say either way...since you don't actually know any of these people, and are just people on the internetz

but i do know a heck of a lot about human metabolism, nutrition, fitness, and the endocrine system. I don't need to know these people in order to make the statement that GENERALLY people don't need to restrict their calories that much in order to see progress.

w3Yxv.gif
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1" Sw 190 Pw 163

I have been eating 1200- 1310 since September. The only time I get hungery is when I don't leave enough cals for snacks. The first 2 weeks I did get stumach cramps but other then that I feel great. No hip pain and my back pain is alot better. Blood Pressure is normal now. I'm 38.
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I am 4'11" as well. 145lbs and 30 years old (not as well) My TDEE-20% right now is just under 1500 calories. I eat 1500 most days.

I am satisfied on 1500 cals 90% of the time. But honestly, you have you realize (I know this from previously being on your friends list) that you are more active than the average female! I would be starving all the time if I was as active as you are. If I started being active at your age. I am 30 now and wasted alot of years and now I have to work up to being half as active as you are!

Once I start upping my game when is comes to activity I will eat more calories and this conversation will become irrelevant! lol

Anyway, I don't know if that is what you were looking for, but that is the truth!

I'm actually HUNGRIER when I'm less active so I don't think that has much to do with why I could never do 1200 calories. I'd fail even worse if I was inactive since those are my highest calorie days.

I can't do 1200 calories either. I would never do that to my body! I am hungrier on rest days too, I just try to eat more filling foods. Some time is work, sometimes it doesn't!

I hate that our bodies play that stupid game!

Body: "Hey, I know you worked out really hard, but I don't WANNA EAT!!!"
    You: "Body, YOU SUCK!!! I would like to enjoy these delicious calories, but you won't let me!"

The next day:
    Body: "I AM HUNGRAEEE! FEED ME ALL THE FOODS!!!"
    You: "EFF YOU BODY. eff you."
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3" and weigh 127 lbs. I tend to average around the 1400 calorie mark. I am always hungry pretty much, I try to eat fruits and veges and protein to curb my appetite. The more carbs I eat, the more cravings I have, and the hungrier I am. But when I went from a 2000+ per day calorie count to where I'm at now, I did feel like death. Our bodies just get used to whatever you feed them, so they react badly to changes, especially if you are also eating lots of processed foods.
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options

I was on your friends list too and got booted, not that I'm sore about it or anything, but you really should think about those of us who are not blessed with an active lifestyle and a fast metabolism. Most of us on this board probably wish we could eat like you, but we stick to eating when we are hungry and no more. We deal with a slight bit of hunger throughout the day, but we aren't starving.

Most of us would gain or maintain on 1800 calories, simply from our lifestyle. I have a desk job, and between it and the car, I don't move probably 90% of the time I'm awake. And I hate it. But i like $ so I compromise with myself.

If I were in your shoes, eating 1800+ I would probably feel the same way, HOW could all you people starve yourselves like that! what are you doing?

I personally think that there is something fundamentally wrong with a TDEE and BMR calculator that doesn't take genetics into account. They are ballpark guesses, and as ballparks, I'd imagine they could be up to 20% wrong in either direction...

20% of 1800 calories is 360 calories, or 1440 at the low end, and 2160 calories going the other way. That's a range in calorie content of 720 Kcal.. That's an entire meal or a meal and a half for some people!!
  • VogtAndrea
    Options
    I'm under 5 ft. barely. My calorie intake is between 1200 and 1500 on good / not so good days.
    Most of my cravings and urges happen at night when I relax after a long day.
    Some evenings I'm fine with it; some evenings I'm ravenous and *** help the person that gets between me and the fridge or cupboard though I work very hard to try to stay out of both after 8 at night. Sometimes I give in but i do have tricks. First I try water. If that doesn't work, I go for lean protein. When that doesn't work, I give in and go for a slow carb unless I actually find myself wanting to binge badly.
  • Phoenixchichima
    Options
    I'm 5' 0
    if I drink lots of water, spread my protein out thru the day, and maybe a bit top heavy in the morning & eat lots of vegs. I dont get too hungry often

eg. I eat either plain 0% fat greek yogurt or an egg for breakfast. then get to work & eat between then & lunch at noon,
    1 granola bar w/at least 6 grams & perhaps more of protein, usually it has a touch of chocolate so I get a taste, or nuts,. which I love
    1 oz almonds
    a satsuma orange
    cheese stick. then I have 1/2 hr work out at lunch. then usually eat about 3 cups of baby spinach greens, a cup of grape tomoatoes & either a persion cucumber or a cup of baby peppers (not hot peppers) and a serving of either chicken or turkey.
    I may get a munchy, not to be confused with hungry, but a hankering for something then I raid a friends candy bowl for a miniature candy of 100 calories or less. then I dont eat dinner late & protein & vegs.
  • GCAsMom
    GCAsMom Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    1. 5' 9" I'm not comfortable divulging my weight at this time; suffice it to say, I have /plenty/ to lose.

2. No, not at all. I aim for 1200 - 1350, but most days it's between 1300 - 1350, (family holiday gatherings don't count. ;) ). I eat plenty! Before I started, I ate as much as I wanted, whenever I wanted, so of course there was an adjustment period. It lasted about a week. You just have to tough that out. Going from well over 2k a day to however many calories you cut back is going to be somewhat challenging. :)

3. I had to chuckle... I don't feel like death. ^_^ Even during TOM, it's not that bad. I eat pretty much the same things every day, pre-log to make sure I can have what I want. My diary is open for all to see. :)

Edited to add: I completely agree with what ChrisCL85 said. I'm 40 years old, sedentary, and work from home. I really don't need a whole lot of calories to function. :)
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options

I was on your friends list too and got booted, not that I'm sore about it or anything, but you really should think about those of us who are not blessed with an active lifestyle and a fast metabolism. Most of us on this board probably wish we could eat like you, but we stick to eating when we are hungry and no more. We deal with a slight bit of hunger throughout the day, but we aren't starving.

Most of us would gain or maintain on 1800 calories, simply from our lifestyle. I have a desk job, and between it and the car, I don't move probably 90% of the time I'm awake. And I hate it. But i like $ so I compromise with myself.

If I were in your shoes, eating 1800+ I would probably feel the same way, HOW could all you people starve yourselves like that! what are you doing?

I personally think that there is something fundamentally wrong with a TDEE and BMR calculator that doesn't take genetics into account. They are ballpark guesses, and as ballparks, I'd imagine they could be up to 20% wrong in either direction...

20% of 1800 calories is 360 calories, or 1440 at the low end, and 2160 calories going the other way. That's a range in calorie content of 720 Kcal.. That's an entire meal or a meal and a half for some people!!

Understandable but as a male I cannot imagine that your maintenance intake is 1800--even if you were completely sedentary. I appreciate your thorough response!
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    I have a few questions for you...

1. What's your height/ weight? [/quote}
    5' tall and currently 214 lbs.
    2. Do you get REALLY REALLY hungry during the day? If not, was there an adjustment period?
    A short adjustment period and sometimes i get very hungry. If I do.... I eat.
    3. What do you eat to prevent feeling like death (if you answered that you're not hungry)?
    ..... a solid mix of carbs, fats, and proteins..
    In any case, my main point in posting this is that I'm really curious if you are actually HUNGRY and you just resist or if you're fine with your intake.
    My MFP is set for 1200 and I'm pretty happy there. If I exercise a lot I want more and I eat more.....
  • iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    3. What do you eat to prevent feeling like death (if you answered that you're not hungry)? All kinds of things. I try to have a serious amount of protein in anything, whether it be a meal or a snack. Eggs/ham for breakfast, cashews for a snack, chicken for lunch, beef for dinner etc. I also eat fairly low carb and primal, so I do not eat "empty" calories. I make ever calorie out of the 1200 count! Your calories will disappear VERY quickly with a carb heavy or even "standard" diet, because they get sucked up in filler food like bread, pasta, crackers, rice etc.

Exactly! When I decide to cut out grains like bread, cereal, pasta, etc) it seems as if that leaves room for a lot more food! One slice of bread (By itself, with nothing on it) is 90-100 calories. Now how satisfying is a piece of bread? 2 slices of bread in a simple sandwich already makes that meal AT LEAST 180 calories. I'd rather just eat the fillings of said sandwich and save the 200 calories for something I really like! Even a low cal cereal is 110 calories for 1 cup. For 110 calories, you could get a lot of veggies or even meat!
  • rambo831
    Options
    I'm 6', 220lbs and eat between 1300-1450 calories/day. The first few days were tough, now I really don't get hungry. I split up the meals, 4 times a day.

8am: +/- 200 calories
    11am: 200 calories
    2pm: +/- 700 calories
    5pm: +/- 200 calories

My breakfast always consist of a large cup of coffee, 3 GG bran crispbreads and a bit of peanut butter. The crispbread is full of fiber and fills me up plenty. You can say I do get a tad bit hungry around 1pm, but a bit after that is when I have my full sized meal. Loving the results.
  • PennStateChick
    PennStateChick Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and weight about 165. My TDEE is just over 1800 calories, so if I ate the same calories you do, I would maintain. I aim for 1500 calories, but I'm good if I'm between 1200-1600. However, to answer your questions...

2. Do you get REALLY REALLY hungry during the day? If not, was there an adjustment period? No and no. From the day I "get my head in the game", I don't get hungry outside of meal times (for the most part). The majority of my bad eating is habit or boredom.

3. What do you eat to prevent feeling like death (if you answered that you're not hungry)? When I am counting calories and really paying attention to what I am eating, I drink a lot of water and eat a lot of really healthy foods that keep me fuller longer. I also snack on fruits and veggies throughout the day.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and net 1400. No I don't get hungry but sometimes I want junk food that I can't fit into my calories. I don't always eat exercise calories back but on workout days sometimes I'm thankful for the extra junk food calories :)

ETA: my BMR is about 1260 my TDEE a little over 1700 (so at 1400 I'm not too far below TDEE).
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    There was about a 2 week stretch in the beginning when I started eating 1200, where I just had to acclimate my body and mind to making do with less. Hunger-wise, I am pretty fine most days with sticking to my 1200 cals a day. I don't get to eat junk or sugary stuff during the day, because I just can't afford the calories. Every bite I eat has to be a smart choice that will get me the nutrients I need, and keep me full until my next meal. Here's an example of what I might eat on a regular day.

Breakfast: A piece of fruit, like an apple (80 cals). I'f I'm really super hungry I might add a piece of toast with a little butter. (105 cals)

Lunch: a big chicken salad with red leaf lettuce, tomatoes and honey mustard dressing. (about 350 cals) Sometimes I add croutons (60 cals)

Dinner: Usually whatever my husband wants to make, like a BLT (about 400 cals) and a glass of milk (100 cals)

OR Spaghetti with cheese (about 500 cals)

As you can see most of these foods add up to UNDER 1200 cals. By eating simple, clean foods that keep me relatively full throughout the day, I can ensure I'm able to eat a reasonable portion of just about whatever my husband feels like having. That way I never feel truly deprived. And if I have cals left over at the end of the day? Well, I guess I just earned myself a cookie or a cup of ice cream then, didn't I? :)

Keep in mind that some of the cals I quoted are estimations largely based on how myself and my family cooks and may not be the same for you. I also despise working out so I lead a pretty sedentary lifestyle. If you are much more active, you may get hungrier faster. But this has worked for me for the past 8 months, and I feel good, am not excessively hungry, and an still losing weight.
  • perfect10isha
    perfect10isha Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and 140 lbs. Based on my measurements and my lifestyle (I'm currently halfway through the New Rules of Lifting for Women combined with HIIT) my TDEE is around 1800 (approx). My BMR is like 1400 (approx). I'm not overweight and have a healthy body fat % and all that. However, I'm currently trying to lower my body fat so I can have more definition. I'm currently eating between 1300-1600 calories a day and in 4 weeks my waist has gone from 28" to 26.5", but my weight is unchanged. I've found my sweet spot in that range. Previously to lowering my calories I was eating at maintenance. While I didn't gain any weight, I also wasn't losing weight or inches. When I tried upping my calories to around 1900-2000 based on the books recommendation I slowly put on weight and it was fat not muscle. So eating big doesn't work for everyone, even with an active lifestyle. It could be because I have more fat than you which is why my body does just fine with fewer calories. And I'll add I have plenty of energy, and feel great inside and out.

In regards to your question... I think the beauty of restricting calories for me was learning the difference between physical hunger and psychological hunger. I'm currently doing the lean gains intermittent fasting, so yes there was an adjustment period. However, after a few days of it my cravings for junk went away and I understood that just because my stomach "felt" empty didn't mean I was hungry. I still eat all the things I want to eat, just in moderation. For example, I had peach cobbler and ice cream everyday the week after Thanksgiving, but I adjusted my calories accordingly to make it fit, and threw in a couple extra workouts to balance me out. I find it really easy to eat within my calories during the week because I have a routine and on the weekends I eat whatever the hell I want to. There are occassional days when I'm super hungry and I eat more those days, but those days aren't often.
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    i started with 1200 and i was so hungry i thought i would die. I upped to 1600 and usually eat back exercise cals