Why in the hell won't my fat burn!!!!!!!!!

Options

Replies

• Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    If you lose muscle and gain back fat your metabolism drops, every time you do that it can affect your metabolism further. Sorry but I wouldn't call your food diary healthy either, try eating more wholefoods and less processed stuff, cut down on the sugar and high glycemic index carbs (any processed wheat, corn, sugar, potatoes), eat way more non starchy vegetables and switch to low GI carbs (beans, lentils, barley, berries). Protein is low if you want to build lean muscle and boost your metabolism. Also don't see many healthy fats (oily fish, avocado, olives, coconut, nuts, seeds).
  • fancycupcake
    fancycupcake Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    You've only been at it for a month and a half...I have, too, and there is hardly any difference in how my body looks, but my pants are slipping down and the scale is telling me I'm 8 pounds lighter. Fat burning isn't instantaneous, and you are your biggest critic - you see your body every day and don't notice the gradual changes. Be patient with it and keep going the way you are, if it has worked for you in the past it will work again....The problem is patience! Too often I've quit because I have just lost patience and focused on nothing but how my body looks from day to day...this time around I am focusing on my LIFE, with the "diet" being just a part of it. If I don't focus on it too much and criticize myself, it's not so hard :D
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    All of the advice you are getting about what you are eating is irrelevant to your post. If you aren't losing weight over a long period of time then it's probably because you are not burning more than you are consuming. Find the problem and fix it. Maybe you aren't logging everything you eat accurately? Maybe you should stop eating back exercise calories? Ignore the broscience people, just figure out why you aren't burning more than you are consuming.

This.

+1
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Sound like you don't need to "lose weight" as much as "lose fat"
    I agree with lifting weights! Even if it is just Bodyweight to start.
    And my suggestion would also be to eat more protein, less simple carbs and make sure you drink your water. (I didn't check your water)
    Make sure your fats are good fats... Olive oil, fish, nuts, avocado, etc... For the most part.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    5"9 155... FAT? WOW...
  • EEpling89
    Options
    I know to a good 50% of people on this board, this will be blasphemy but I've never been able to lose an ounce eating any more than 1,200 cals/daily. I've tried all the EM2WL, weight lifting, etc. and could never lose. I don't have a ton to lose and it looks like you don't either. Everyone is different though.
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    type 1 diabetic is tough!

heavy resistance training + getting your diet under control. You have a huge problem burning off body fat.

Get with your nutritionist! Get him to put you on a low glycemic, high protein diet.
    http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/227213.php

stick to low heart rate - fat burning - exercises! cardio will burn your muscles because you are diabetic 1.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Women are empathizing, men are trying to fix.
    I didn't empathize. You are stereotyping.
    :wink:
  • jonmico
    jonmico Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    All of the advice you are getting about what you are eating is irrelevant to your post. If you aren't losing weight over a long period of time then it's probably because you are not burning more than you are consuming. Find the problem and fix it. Maybe you aren't logging everything you eat accurately? Maybe you should stop eating back exercise calories? Ignore the broscience people, just figure out why you aren't burning more than you are consuming.

This guy knows what's up.
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options

And what are YOU contributing?
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    type 1 diabetic is tough!

heavy resistance training + getting your diet under control. You have a huge problem burning off body fat.

Get with your nutritionist! Get him to put you on a low glycemic, high protein diet.
    http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/227213.php

stick to low heart rate - fat burning - exercises! cardio will burn your muscles because you are diabetic 1.

Ding ding ding. We have a winner.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options

And what are YOU contributing?

Nothing, just an observation.I am female and my first reaction was to comiserate. Then I went back and read the follow up posts and noticed a pattern. Not that there is anything wrong with female and male reactions, just different. Personally, I love that they are different.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    bump
  • momofaubrey
    Options
    Wondering if you hit a plateau. Aside just from all the advice on diet, you need to make sure that you are not doing the same exercises and switching up your workouts with circuit training, plyometrics, HIIT, low weight to high reps and high weight to low reps, etcc... If you are at a plateau, you need to hit it even harder at the gym. I'll take a look at your food diary, but if you are carrying weight around your midsection, back, etc...cut down on the carbs just a bit with smaller carb portions, increase your protein and don't snack late. I usually cut myself off at 8pm.
  • Game8
    Game8 Posts: 442
    Options
    First of all, chillax. Cortisol, the stress hormone, actually hinders fat loss.

But to answer your question, maybe your metabolism has slowed down and adapted to the number of calories you're eating. Remember that your body wants to achieve equilibrium, so it will try and adapt rather than keep losing weight.

One way you can overcome this is by tricking your body. You can have a high carb/ refeed day, where by you eat maybe up to 2,000 cals by increasing your carbohydrate intake, then go back to eating at 1,500. Give it a week and you will notice that your weight loss has restarted.

If it doesn't, simply decrease your calories or increase your activity level. Wash, rinse, repeat.
  • Odiliawine
    Odiliawine Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info! Im 5'9" and currently 155lbs. I have been on MFP for about a month and a half but I've been trying to lose this disgusting weight since I gave birth last January.

You are in the normal range for your BMI, and what you are talking about is likely loose skin. please don't call your weight disgusting when you are clearly at a healthy weight, its ridiculous and borderline offensive to those who have legitimate weight to lose.

I would just keep doing what your doing, and be PATIENT, and KIND to yourself.

This.

And also, you're not being honest with your reporting of foods. Eating half a clemantine and half a cup of watermelon for lunch and 15 cups of popcorn for dinner? You're probably eating a lot more than you're posting.
  • eliblish
    eliblish Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Being at a "healthy weight" on paper does not mean she has no fat to lose. I'm 5'5" and 127 lbs. With my clothes on, I look thin. With my clothes off, I have quite a bit of fat on my body. Fat that makes me feel bad about myself. Fat that I want to lose to be healthy and feel good about myself. So don't assume that just because you know her height and weight that she doesn't have fat to lose. She did not say that she was fat, she said she HAS fat she wants to lose! Us "healthy weight" people are allowed to feel bad about our bodies and want to change them too! Some people on this board jump down your throat for no reason, it's disgusting. As for the original question, I'm trying to figure all that out right now too. I'm going to start New Rules Of Lifting For Women next week with a bit of cardio added in and i'm going to eat at maintenance so we'll see if that helps! Good luck to you, I hope you are able to figure things out!
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Are you breastfeeding? (I know he's almost a year, but many women, myself included, breastfeed well beyond then). First of all, you need to make sure you are getting adequate calories to avoid slowing your metabolism, and breastfeeding does require more (although at this point probably no more than 200-300 daily). Second, not all women melt the fat away when bf … there are quite a few of us "nut storers" - we hang onto fat with all we have as long as we are producing milk. Be patient.

Whoever told you that a woman should lose the baby fat by 9 months post-partum is full of it … some women lose it within a few months, some take longer. It has to do with a lot of factors - age, how much you gained, what kind of birth control (if any) you are now using, etc. Being a mom changes everything, including how your body reacts to food & exercise (and having type I diabetes probably affects it too, and differently than before your pregnancy). Don't give up. Experiment with your calories (some people need more - check out the Eat More to Weigh Less group) and find what works for you. :wink:
  • Thisisnotadiet
    Thisisnotadiet Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    you don't want to loose weight, you want to tone up. Follow this advice here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Which I am sure will bring you to increase (YES, increase!) you calorie intake and eat more. However follow also the advice about how to break down your macros. This will fix the low amount of protein and high amount of fat issue.

Good luck!
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    If this is a photo of you, you are NOT fat. Maybe you have some loose skin and that will take time to tighten up. It will, but you gotta be patient, keep on with your weight lifting and exercise to build muscles.

I looked at your diary for a few days and although you could do a bit better nutrition wise, I think you're doing ok.

I'm more concerned about the way you see your body. Really, just stop scrutinizing yourself so judgementally. You're a beautiful young woman with a 1 year old infant. You're not supposed to look like a model. Enjoy your child and your life as they are, continue to feed yourself well, do your workouts, and check back in that mirror in 6 months or a year. Changes take time.