Any runners who were not good runners before?

Options

Replies

• CarmenSandiegoInVA
    CarmenSandiegoInVA Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Me!! I am like you. I ran my first mile about 10 months ago when I was 270 pounds. It was an awesome feat for me. I was always too winded to run distance. The key is to pace yourself. It is truly all in your head. Start out running a really slow pace. I started out running at 4.0 mph on the treadmill. Put on some good music. and do not whatever you do, give up until you reach that mile it's all about controling your breathing and just keeping going. You can do it. I recently am up to 3 miles without stopping. it's a big deal for me. You can do it, I promise you.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I would be lucky to WALK 500 meters before tiring out. I now run 10km a day, without stopping.
  • es2189
    es2189 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I'm with everyone else. I've always despised running. Up until June of this year, I was literally either working or on the couch. I hadn't worked out in like 5 years. One day, I just started doing C25K, assuming I would never finish it. Well, I did finish it, and now I run 3-5 miles 3-4 days a week! It's basically a miracle and each time I go out for a run, I wonder how it happened. I definitely recommend a C25K app!
  • Brian_VA
    Brian_VA Posts: 125
    Options
    DON'T START RUNNING until you read about midfoot strike vs heel strike! Consider a minimalist style shoe without heel padding to make it impossible to pound your heel, which is the source of most running injuries. Then start C25K.

I started in June, gratuated in Aug, did a triathlon sprint in Sep, and an 8K in Nov. Now training for a half marathon with longest run to date being 10 miles. Running outside in the minimalist shoes is so different than running inside in traditional running shoes. It's like a whole different sport!
  • Mteach1
    Options
    I never liked to run, but I am determined to get back into shape again so I signed up to run a half marathon in March with a friend. I still hate it while I am doing it, but feel awesome once I am done. I run with someone in better shape, so I force myself to keep going each day. You can do it!
  • dperich1968
    dperich1968 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I've always wanted to get into running, but I suck at it. Even being in sports all my life, running a mile I thought I was going to die.

Now even running 1/2 a mile on a treadmil I feel like I'm going to die. lol. They say slowly work yourself up, but does that really happen?

Anyone like me that turned out to be a long distance runner??

there are a LOT of folks who started off life as being the least likely people to become distance runners but become very accomplished runners indeed...me included!!

The couch to 5k program will take you exactly where you want to go. Once you can run 5k/3.1 miles, it's up to you to go for 10k and beyond our just run for the sheer joy of it. I went from 260 lbs and unable to run for a bus to training for my first marathon inside of 8 months.

P.S: Get fitted for the RIGHT shoes to suit your running gait..this is incredibly important!

I started with the C25K in January 2012, only to prove a point to myself; I could run three miles evening if I hated it. Well, now I am addicted and even though I am not a long distance runner, I LOVE a good 3-5miles as often as I can get it. Love to run in the rain, in the fog, in the early morning dark.

Shoes are so important!! Best thing I did for myself was to get fitted correctly. Made all the difference!!

Also know that your endurance will be able to run a longer distance before your muscles will. Lots of ice on your knees after each run will help and patience. Patience - I have none and it benched me for about 10days so my knees could recoup.

Never give up and if you need to walk, walk and then run again. Repeat as often as necessary.

Good Luck!
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Yes, when I was 20 I started running to work off the freshman 15. I could only do a minute or so at a time at 5 miles per hour alternated with walk breaks, for maybe 20 minutes. Slowly I decreased the walk breaks and then slowly I increased the speed. Five years later I ran a marathon. Fifteen years later running is my favorite thing to do, and I'm still getting faster.

PS - NOT a natural runner either - I remember being one of the last to finish the mile run in grade school, every time, and getting made fun of for being so slow.
  • elgray26
    elgray26 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    It does happen. I never used to be able to run a mile much less a half a mile. Now I can run about 4 miles at a time!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Yes, when I was 20 I started running to work off the freshman 15. I could only do a minute or so at a time at 5 miles per hour alternated with walk breaks, for maybe 20 minutes. Slowly I decreased the walk breaks and then slowly I increased the speed. Five years later I ran a marathon. Fifteen years later running is my favorite thing to do, and I'm still getting faster.

PS - NOT a natural runner either - I remember being one of the last to finish the mile run in grade school, every time, and getting made fun of for being so slow.

That's how I did it too...run till you can't, walk till you catch your breath, run again.
  • triggsta
    triggsta Posts: 140
    Options
    C25k is a great place to start. Just go for it and keep working on it. Around April of this year, I could barely do a mile and now I can do much longer distances. I did 7.5 miles yesterday! It gets easier once you keep going and the weight comes off.

Also, I don't know if it's both or one or the other but my training regimen is TurboFire and heavy weight lifting at the gym (plus a few other little things) and my stamina and endurance is really increasing through my program. Maybe those will help.
  • kulso0om
    kulso0om Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    i recently started running. i can only do about 2 minutes before i have to start walking again but it's definitely an improvement from a week ago when i was only doing 30 seconds! keep it up! i find it's all in the breathing. i try to keep it steady while i'm running, breathe in through my nose hold for a count of 4 and then breathe out through my mouth. keeps you focused on the breathing opposed to the running.
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    In high school, I couldn't run a mile in under 12 minutes for my PE class. 10 years later and 40 pounds heavier, I ran a 5k in 32 minutes. I have asthma too. I highly recommend a couch to 5k program. I've taken a break from running for the winter (cold air+asthma=disaster for me), but I plan on running a 10k in the summer.
  • WrenStory
    Options
    Yes, I'm now into running and was never before. I'm in my 30's. It does improve over time, yes. As long as you stick with it. Get into a routine. Don't overdo it, just keep plugging away and your endurance will improve. My leg muscles were fine to handle the runs, my cardio needed improvement... so that's why it feels like you're going to die. Your body has to become more efficient at using the oxygen you breathe in. Just takes time.
  • elfpearl
    elfpearl Posts: 191
    Options
    ME!!! I was that kid in high school who walked the WHOLE MILE...absolutely hated running...made fun of runners when I'd pass them on the street...then last fall I got a wild hair and on my regular exercise walks I started trying to run as far as I could...not very far at first, like maybe a minute straight, around the block. But I kept at it until I could run 3 miles in about 30 minutes on average...over the last year I have gradually increased my mileage (my longest runs now are 12-13 miles at a time) and speed (from about 10.5 minute miles to about 8.5 minute miles now, depending on how long I'm running). I wish I could go back and tell the old me how amazing it feels, how fit I am now (fittest in my life!!) and how it gets easier all the time. I think the reason I was able to keep at it, though, was definitely having a running partner. It makes a huge difference to have someone to motivate you and vice versa. Good luck, though, I am proof that you can get there...and it is definitely worth it!!!
  • Starlage
    Starlage Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    happened for me too! I'm still not a fast runner, i'm slow and steady with 30 second stops here and there (average 11-13 mins a mile) but I get 'er done! I don't do anything longer than a 5k and don't aspire to, I'm just happy getting my exercise outside. In high school? I was always getting yelled at for not running (walking in the back of the crowd), would end up doing the stupid bi yearly fitness test mile thingie over a couple of times because I wouldn't run most of it. HATED RUNNNIIINNNG. Now? I still don't LOVE it to be honest. But after doing the couch to 5k program in March, i can actually DO IT! I really like getting outside and now having to do dvds all of the time. I run a couple to a few times a week now, 2 or 3 miles at a time- just enough to get a good 30-45 mins of exercise. Go for it! couch to 5k works. Gives your body time to adjust.
  • joyosplash
    Options
    I couldn't bring myself to run more than a mile, and I felt like death was knocking every time. Then I signed up for Team in Training and registered for a full marathon. It wasn't the prettiest marathon I"ll ever do, but I did it. The coach and mentors really helped (along with the all important consistent training). Now I do triathlons!

One thing I'll tell you is, there has never been a time when the first mile of a run felt good. It always, always takes until somewhere in the 2nd mile for me to get a rhythm, and not want to stop immediately. Just gotta push through until it starts to feel 'good'. Hope that helps!
  • naturallyrandom
    naturallyrandom Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I just started Couch to 5K today. I was astounded at what I could do just on day 1. Sometimes we set mental limitations on what we think we can do. Although I at some points I didn't stay on pace for the intervals (took longer than 90 seconds to recover; closer to 2 min), I made sure I pushed to run (really jog) my entire 60 seconds each time. I was so tired and legs achy at the end but I wasn't dead! And that's what matters. I'm a heavy stout lady w/ a bum knee and I'm doing Couch to 5K. If I can do it, you can to. So let's do this! I wish you the best of luck!
  • slfleisher
    Options
    I was really horrible at it my whole life, but I started small. About 2 years ago, I started by literally lightly jogging .75 miles one way, walking for a block and then jogging home. I did that for about 2 months, 3x a week. Then I went up to 1 mile one way, one block walk and stretch, and then run home.

I moved to the other side of the country and had built up a tolerance to about 2 miles one way (4 round trip). I decided I would explore my new area by running there. Within a month I was up to 5 and 6 mile runs round trip and by 2 months I could go about 8-10 miles. It was crazy how after I had a really good base (about a 1 1/2 years worth of running) I could just add miles like nothing. I started joining races just because I wanted to see if it was something I could do.

2 years after I started running I finished my first Marathon! I had never even dreamed that was possible when I first started out. I wasn't very fast, but I finished it and that's what mattered to me. And trust me, If I can do it, anyone can.
  • DBiddle69
    DBiddle69 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I was never a runner...when I graduated from Air Force basic training the tall guys had to pick me up by my arms and carry me across the finish line. Use to also get shine splints really bad.

Thanksgiving day I ran 9.25 mile in 1 1/2 hours!!

I started this whole thing thinking it was never going to work so I was being lazy!! Stared out at 3.0 mph on the treadmill for one hour. After two months I increased it to 3.5 mph for an hour for 6 months then I increase it to two hour at 4.0 mph for about 4 months. After this I started an alternation program that ran between 6-8 months after this time I started outside running.

The current treadmill sequence is as follows:

Time MPH
    0-5 4
    5-8 5
    8-9 6
    9-14 4
    14-17 5
    17-18 6
    18-23 4
    23-26 5
    26-27 7
    27-32 4
    32-35 5
    35-36 7
    36-41 4
    41-44 5
    44-45 7
    45-50 4
    50-53 5
    53-54 6
    54-59 5
    59-62 4
    62-63 6
    63-68 5
    68-71 4
    71-72 6
    72-77 5
    77-80 4
    80-81 6
    81-86 5
    86-89 4
    89-90 6
    90-95 5
    95-100 4
    100-115 5
    115-120 4

This averages 5.0 mph for 120 minutes.

I also have a sequence in place that averages 6.0 mph that I plan on doing later down the road....my outside running averages 5.5 - 6.0 mph.

One phrase I keep telling myself through all of this..."pain is only temporary!!"
  • codapea
    codapea Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Haha, me! I never thought I could run! I started running a little over 3 months ago and I am doing a 10 mile canyon trail race next month. The best advice I ever read was to run as slow as you can at first. If you are dying after a half a mile, run slower! Good luck!