18 months ago today I was paralyzed. ---Pics.---

Options

Replies

• Erica262
    Erica262 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Amazing and very inspiring! Thank you for sharing!
  • FutureSkinnyMama03
    FutureSkinnyMama03 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    You are definitely an inspiration! Great job!
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    wow...that's incredible! Thank you for sharing!
  • johnpangan
    johnpangan Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Wow! Amazing! Truly inspiring.
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    OH MY GOD!!!!

You are amazing! I loved the way you told your story and I loved all of your pics.

I am a nurse and work with spinal cord injured patients. Wow, I am so impressed!!!!!
  • floopysandi
    floopysandi Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing your story! You are phenomenal!!!!!
  • canelly
    canelly Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Wow this is amazing!!!! You did great!
  • Ellieus
    Ellieus Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! You are truely amazing and inspiring!!
  • hdjjones
    hdjjones Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Very good. Great attitude. You are absolutely correct. Anything is possible if one commits, and you certainly did. Very inspirational.
  • Curvimami
    Curvimami Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Awe inspiring story!!! Just Amazing!! Congrats!
  • barbiek999
    barbiek999 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    This is very moving, I love your story! You are such an inspiration to me!!! Congratulations on your fantastic acheivement!!! You have such a wonderful, wonderful attitude, thank you so much for sharing it and for this inspirational post!!! By the way, you look absolutely gorgeous!!! You rock!!!!
  • andiechick
    andiechick Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Wow, what a transformation! Looking at those trousers you are literally half the woman you were. Well done, be proud of yourself x
  • therezatimbira
    therezatimbira Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much, you are my. Inspiration.
  • kiykiy79
    kiykiy79 Posts: 177
    Options
    This is an amazing and inspiring story!!! They days I don't feel like doing something... I will think of you and all the adversity you fought to get to where you are!! You rock and look AWESOME!
  • ethieman
    ethieman Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Amazing!!! Thanks so much for sharing, your story will be put in my stack of inspiring people when I'm struggling to get my butt moving!
  • llangstraat
    llangstraat Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I don't even know you and am so proud of you!! Amazing story and such an inspiration to us all! Thank you for sharing!
  • cgeorge5555
    cgeorge5555 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Absolutely amazing and inspiring. You look beautiful as well as your family. I'm sure they are extremely proud of what you've been able to accomplish in a relatively short period of time. It was a true test of your spirit and will to succeed facing that mountain of obstacles and challenges. Big Kudo's to you and keep on pushing and inspiring the rest of us!
  • rubberbiscuit
    Options
    Wow, you are just amazing. Your story really touched me. Your children are adorable and you are beautiful. Congratulations on your weight loss and all the best wishes for your continued success.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Today is a big day for me. It was 18 months ago today, June 11, 2011, that I was rushed to the ER in an ambulance because I had lost all feeling below the waist. I was transferred to a bigger city hospital where I had emergency spinal surgery - laminectomy, discectomy, and decompression of my spinal cord. Diagnosis was cauda equina syndrome due to a severely herniated disc.

When I woke up I could not move my legs. I could not stand or walk. I was in a wheelchair. For a few weeks I lived at a rehab hospital to regain strength as I sloooowly regained sensation in my legs. It's not all fully back - to this day I'm still numb down the back of my right leg and the bottom of my right foot. Chances are I'll never get that feeling back.

At my discharge appointment with the neurosurgeon on August 17, 2011, he told me to prevent this from happening again, that I needed to lose weight. I took his advice to heart.

I've posted on here before but I wanted to again because today is a big milestone for me. It's been a year and a half. It seems like so long ago but 18 months really isn't that long. It's been 18 months of the hardest work of my life.

18 months ago when I had this injury, I weighed 270 pounds. Now I don't. I weigh about 161-165.

18 months ago when I had this injury, I couldn't walk. Now I can. And I can RUN 12 miles at a shot.

HOW? MyFitnessPal and exercise. That's it. Being accountable for what I eat, and moving my body more.

I'm 5'8" and have three kids, who were 9 months, 2.5 years, and 5 years old at the time of my injury.

Before:
    IMG_4778-1.jpg

IMG_4780-2.jpg

In the hospital
    IMG_5009-1.jpg

IMG_4996-1.jpg

Hours of daily therapy in the rehab hospital
    IMG_5135-1.jpg

IMG_5011-1.jpg

IMG_5020-3.jpg

About a week after surgery was the first time I could feel my toes. It was truly amazing. This is the morning I woke up and could feel the fabric of my sock brushing on my toes.
    IMG_4997-2.jpg

After a few weeks I was out of the wheelchair and using a walker and I was discharged home. I had physical and occupational therapists visiting my house 4-5x/week for about 6 weeks.
    IMG_5141-3.jpg

Then I graduated to a cane the next month. This is the only picture I can find of my cane. That's my youngest daughter.
    IMG_5352.jpg

A month after that my surgeon told me to lose weight. So I started walking daily and joined MFP that very day.

Old pants (size 24) vs new pants (size medium)
    pants-1.jpg

Now I run a lot.
    photo-118-1.jpg

And wear a size 8/10
    photo-92.jpg20120827.jpg

If I could do it, you can too. Get up and move. Start logging your nutrition. Be accountable to yourself. You're worth it.

Thanks for letting me share.

Thanks for sharing your story!! Truly amazing and inspiring! You ROCK:flowerforyou:
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I am weeping tears of joy for you right now. Wonderfully heartbreaking and wonderfully beautiful story. I am so happy for you and thankful for the woman and mom you've become and for you sharing this story. Wonderful.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!