Do you plank?

Options

Replies

• Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    F*cking hate planks. I started doing them when I was doing NROL, and I liked the way my belly looked once I was up to 3 sets of 2 minutes, so now I'm screwed doing planks for the rest of my godforsaken life. I do like the way they make me focus, though.

I went to a fitness class once (once!) and the instructor had us do planks, so I was doing my thing, and then when the minute was up I looked up and everyone was staring at me. They had all long given up. I felt a little silly but a little proud of myself too.

For something not-so-boring, try a wide-legged stance plank where you alternate bringing each knee up, under, across the body, then extending and placing the foot as high up (toward your head) and out (from your body) as you can. Keep your body as low and as stiff as possible when you do this; make your midsection do the work.

Or, do plank on your elbows, then when you can't take it any more, move up to your hands to make it a bit easier, until you can't take THAT any more.
  • Alicia7519
    Options
    Yeah! I love planks!
  • angryguy77
    angryguy77 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    2-3 times a day...oh this is about planking....never mind.
  • tschaff04
    tschaff04 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Wow, my core must be in horrible shape. I had never planked before so decided to give it a try. I could only hold it for 15 seconds. I did 3 reps of 15 sec and that was as long as I could hold it. :embarassed: I will keep working at it! Seems like a nice addition to my daily routine.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I don't do unnecessary cardio myself...

Planks aren't cardio the way I do them.

I'm not understanding how they could be cardio at all. Maybe there's a version of planks that I've never seen?
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I do the standard elbows and toes plank for 90 seconds. Sometimes less though if my arms are feeling a bit like jell-o. I will also occasionally do knee raises forward with a twist to do something different. I also liked the jacknife one that I saw in the NROLFW book. Those are fun. :noway:
  • Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    The weeks that my trainer has me do planks are the weeks that I really feel my abs for a few days. They've got to be doing something!
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    LOVE planking!! :D I go for forearms & toes!

this-is-why-we-do-plank.jpg
    Hopefully that helps a little!

My PR is 7 minutes, though I haven't been able to replicate it since. Currently I'm averaging around 4 minutes. My biggest goal is to plank the entirety of Stairway to Heaven!

does that diagram come in squat or deadlift?
  • Mel1509
    Mel1509 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Side planks! Not sure how long, never have thought to time.. maybe tonight..?
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    looove it!!!

haaate the side planks with a beastly passion! but i WILL conquer them! just like i conquered 3 sets of 2min planks.

and... planks are NOT the little blue weights of ab exercises. whoever said that, hasnt done planks the way NR makes you do them.

I'm the one that said it.

The closest thing I do to a plank are body levers, holding the bottom of dragon flags for time, because dragon flags are too easy. In other words, I do planks with only my shoulders touching the ground and my hands holding a support to prevent rotation.

dragon-flag-21.jpg

In the continuum of ab exercises, yes planks are a joke.
  • MsNewBooty83
    MsNewBooty83 Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    I'll normally plank it in the mornings and nights, normally about 3 minutes, more if I have something to read. Those of you going past 5 minutes could probably use more fiber in your diet....just sayin'
    :laugh:
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    looove it!!!

haaate the side planks with a beastly passion! but i WILL conquer them! just like i conquered 3 sets of 2min planks.

and... planks are NOT the little blue weights of ab exercises. whoever said that, hasnt done planks the way NR makes you do them.

The closest thing I do to a plank are body levers, holding the bottom of dragon flags for time, because dragon flags are too easy. In other words, I do planks with only my shoulders touching the ground and my hands holding a support to prevent rotation.

dragon-flag-21.jpg

Aw yeah. This should have come earlier in the day in order to provide more hours of amusement.
  • ekrisailles
    Options
    I recently heard about this term. And I was surprised to learn that "plankling" referred to the exercise with the variation of a picture being taken while doing it. I truthfully love the plank exercise. They're are numerous variations and ways to have fun with it. It is truthfully a much more effective core exercise than traditional floor exercises for abdominals. While I do not "plank" with photography, I do incorporate this exercise into my weekly exercise routine. I enjoy the walking plank, plank rows, plank jacks, classical and extended planks, side planks, planks with a bosu trainer, one handed planks they're all great!! Happy planking!
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    WALKING PLANKS, they are incredible!

Was introduced to them when I did the 30 day shred and they are killer.

It is basically alternating between a forearm plank and a hand plank...sort of like push ups.
  • VitVit18
    VitVit18 Posts: 103 Member
    Options

does that diagram come in squat or deadlift?

I've seen one similar, but I can't seem to find it right now. There isn't anything that's exactly the same.
  • CarrieStL
    CarrieStL Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    looove it!!!

dragon-flag-21.jpg

\

Ok, may I just say that planks are not a joke to the average person though will admit that this is intense.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    My physical therapist just showed this to me yesterday and I am gonna start to try to do them. She said to start out only holding them for up to 30 seconds if you can and then work up to 3 minutes. Good for upper arm strength is why she mentioned them to me.
  • Cindy873
    Cindy873 Posts: 1,165
    Options
    I love planking! My fav is classic and I'm working on 3 minutes.
  • SHHitsKaty
    Options
    My trainer has me do a few variations of planking during each work out. It's a hate/love relationship I have with them.
  • cindywomack1
    cindywomack1 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My longest is 5 minutes.