Replies

• AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Taco Bell I do miss you.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    totally agree, this is a lifestyle change, no reason to give up anything completely (except for health reasons). It is all about balance, moderation and portion control.

If moderation and portion control were as easy as you make it sound, there would be fewer people overweight. Some people need to wean their dependence on certain foods before they're able to make the changes that you personally think are ideal.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I not for sure if this question has been asked before but I was wondering what foods and/or liquids did you have to cut out while on this lifestyle change.
    "While" on this lifestyle change? Are you not intending this to be a permanent change? :smile: As long as you're seeing this as a temporary thing, then in my opinion, it's just another diet. Personally, I haven't cut out any food, not a single one. I eat cheese nearly every day, and bread too. I just eat it in appropriate portions now, which I didn't before.
  • NoahandPresleysMom
    NoahandPresleysMom Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Hiya,

I not for sure if this question has been asked before but I was wondering what foods and/or liquids did you have to cut out while on this lifestyle change. When you took away this food did you notice an immediate change? Just wanted to post this and thought it would help some of the people just getting started.

I myself used to eat cheese with everything and I always kept it on hand at home. Parmesan, harvarti, mozzerella, sharp cheddar, american, white american, you name it!!! But as soon as my trainer brought it to my attention to cut out the cheese, I did. Now don't get me wrong a cheese lover like me couldn't just stop cold turkey but I did cut back significantly to the point now that I rarely have cheese with my meals. After this I noticed my weight started to come off a little bit faster. Instead of a half lb or 1lb coming off a week I was loosing 2lbs or more a week, which really aided to my so far 23lbs weight loss.

My next step will be to take away the bread, bye bye sandwhiches, well just cutting back :-)

I have cut out full fat mayo, and ALOT of sweets
  • sophayz
    sophayz Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    TRYING to cut out peanut butter but i can never last more then 4 days without it :(
  • MrsLehman24
    MrsLehman24 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Mexican and fast food.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I haven't cut out anything. I may have cut back but I didn't cut out anything. I've even added back the occasional baked white potato, but it HAS to be baked in an oven and not microwaved because it's all about the crunchy skin. Sweet potatoes happen much much more often than white potatoes though.

The thing I've cut down the most on however has been adult beverages but not for the calories but because my tolerance has significantly diminished now that I've lost 87 pounds.

I still enjoy beer and wine (and Amaretto and Tequila) but I don't have as much as I used to because I'm a CHEAP drunk now.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I haven't cut out anything, completely. Well, I guess I've cut out eating whatever I want, whenever I want. Other than that, nothing.
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Cut out entirely?

Juices... to me, they are simply not worth the calories, prettymuch ever. Not sure how much of a difference this has made in my weight loss, but I used to drink OJ every morning.

Cut back on significantly?

Carbs (mostly the type that come from breads). I try to eat 100-120 total carbs per day. This has the single biggest effect on my weight loss.

What I should cut out?

Alcohol. Although I've noticed a big change from only drinking once or twice a week, as opposed to having a couple glasses of wine with dinner most nights.
  • meganmara
    Options
    Juice. And any other liquid with a high # of calories or sugar.
  • pilgrim25
    Options
    Ordinary Coke
    Chips
    Supermarket processed. Try and cook as much ordinary food as is possible. Less snacking bt I am prone to sat and vinegar crisps 97 cals.:smile:
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Alright, I looked into it. White american cheese is american cheese without the food colouring. So, like the regular processed cheese, should never be taken internally.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    To those of you who think cutting out foods is "temporary" and "deprivation" - I say, to me, not all food is worth moderating. Enjoy your McDonald's and soda, if you really enjoy it that much, but I'm glad I don't want it anymore.
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I didn't ELIMINATE anything.
    Just ate the calorie-dense foods less often and/or in smaller quantity.
    Pizza, donuts, desserts, bread, French fries, ice cream ... I had 'em all.
    Total deprivation of foods that you really like increases your craving and the likelihood of overeating.
  • bipsqueen
    bipsqueen Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Sugar! I now use xylitol which is a sugar alcohol and is much better for you. However, that being said, everything in moderation, long term you can't cut out everything. If you want to make a lifestyle change you have to learn how to eat in moderation.
  • martintanz
    Options
    Chips, French Fries, Fried Chicken, Egg Rolls, Soda (even diet), cheap snack cakes (maybe Hostess went out of business because of me joining MFP?), cookies, cinnamon rolls, muffins.
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I almost never purchase "junk food." If its not in the house I wont be tempted to snack on it :-)
    I use whole wheat instead of white flour and I make my own noodles, pizza crust, bread, chips and crackers (that way I know exactly what I am eating)
    I make feta, spinach, tomato and turkey sausage pizzas on the whole wheat crust instead of ordering Pizza Hut.
    I use greek yogurt in place of sour cream in most recipes.
    I use olive oil (if I absolutely need fat for a recipe I use animal fat NOT that processed-almost-plastic stuff that pretends to be healthier then natural butter/fat.)
    I drink a small amount of red wine on place of cocktails
    I still love cheese, but I try to use less or skip it if its not going to make a huge difference to the dish.
    I STILL have days where I order chinesse food or give in to the vending machines at work, but in general I have found that jsut not bringing unhealthy food home from the grocery store makes a world of difference.
    Hope this helps someone :-)

I make everything I can from scratch on the weekends and freeze/dry it for the week. Thats the biggest change I have made. It has cut a ton of processed white sugar and flour from our diets and my husband and I both feel a ton more energetic and happy
  • Tamisha15
    Tamisha15 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I not for sure if this question has been asked before but I was wondering what foods and/or liquids did you have to cut out while on this lifestyle change.
    "While" on this lifestyle change? Are you not intending this to be a permanent change? :smile: As long as you're seeing this as a temporary thing, then in my opinion, it's just another diet. Personally, I haven't cut out any food, not a single one. I eat cheese nearly every day, and bread too. I just eat it in appropriate portions now, which I didn't before.

Well this is a lifestyle change for me and as I stated I didn't fully cut out cheese. Before I couldn't I see my life without it but now I can. Whether you agree or not is your opinion and your right but when your a person whose trying loose alot of weight you have to wean yourself off of certain things and once your weaned you won't miss it. Weight loss is so much about a mental struggle its not just apples and oranges and push ups and sit-ups. Its a lot of will power and knowing that life isn't all about what you eat.

I like how you said "Personally" because that means that's what is working for you and you need to do what you need to do for you so if something else works better for me then that's me. I'm happy that you have a strong will power not to overeat some of the foods you loved but everyone isn't there yet.

This was a post to help some of those looking for the answers to questions that come up durning weight loss not maintenance we all can't continue to eat cake and ice cream and expect to loose weight even in moderation. We need to change the mental not just the physical.
  • Goal_Driven
    Goal_Driven Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    cut OUT completely? nothing other than full out soda.. that just doesn't even tempt me anymore, but I still enjoy a diet coke occasionally :) I've cut BACK on cheese, bread (new to this one - we'll see how it works out), burgers, fries, junk food (cookies, cake, brownies... basically desserts lol) Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy all of these, just not as often as I use to. Cutting them completely out wouldn't do me any good. I'd just end up craving them and eat them in bulk later. Plus, life is too short not to enjoy these things occasionally.. I would hate to live the rest of my life without dessert :P just gotta know portion control and plan for it so you still stay within your daily goals :)) Good Luck!
  • Tamisha15
    Tamisha15 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    totally agree, this is a lifestyle change, no reason to give up anything completely (except for health reasons). It is all about balance, moderation and portion control.

If moderation and portion control were as easy as you make it sound, there would be fewer people overweight. Some people need to wean their dependence on certain foods before they're able to make the changes that you personally think are ideal.

Thank you!!!! Because as an "obese" person (I hate that term by the way) portion control takes time and isn't that easy. Your right, the whole world would be small, skinny, lean, fit etc if we could all "portion" control.