1200-1500 calorie eaters...serious question...

Options

Replies

• Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    i have a perfect example of how i stay at my 1200 a day cal goal...

im freakin stuffed right now, from a huge monster salad i made, with all fresh ingredients... pomagranate seeds, avacado, red, green, and yellow peppers, tomatoe, onion... an entire stock of romain lettuce, a handfull of spinach... dressed with just red wine vinigar, because the juice from the pomagranate seeds gives it so much taste... 307 calories... it was so big, i had to eat it out of a medium size mixing bowl... omg it was so good!!!

this is how i stay within my 1200 cal a day goal... i have had breakfast and lunch (a massive lunch) and only used just over 500 calories... i still have another 700 to go, and im so stuffed, the idea of eating anything anytime soon is not even exhistant!
  • coe28
    coe28 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3". I weigh 140 and my goal weight it 120. MFP has me set at 1200 calories and I struggle with that EVERY day! I have a 3-year old son and a hectic schedule (I'm a single mom) so I'm not able to eat as healthy as I should and I can't get in time to work out ever day to burn the extra calories. So yeah, I constantly feel like I'm starving or I go over my calories. Very rarely do neither of those things happen.
  • Scottish_charlene_84
    Options
    1. What's your height/ weight? im 5 foot 7 and weight 145lbs

2. Do you get REALLY REALLY hungry during the day? If not, was there an adjustment period? i have some ays where i feel hungry but generally ok if i make sure i have a decent breakfast, lunch and dinner

3. What do you eat to prevent feeling like death (if you answered that you're not hungry)? i make sure my main meal is about 600 calories
  • c_tap77
    c_tap77 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and about 200 pounds right now. I'm eating 1200-1400 calories a day but to keep from getting hungry I eat lots of snacks throughout the day like veggies! I also drink a lot of water (like 8-10 22 oz. water bottles full a day). Honestly the water keeps me from feeling really hungry at any point. The only time I do get super hungry is in the morning right after I wake up. And I have to take thyroid medicine 45 min- 1 hour before I eat anything so that's difficult. But otherwise it's really not bad at all. And I've found fresh veggies and healthy foods I'm excited about eating so I don't feel like I'm depriving myself at all. I guess I'm lucky because I really like veggies though :)
  • NearlyJen
    NearlyJen Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm on IPOARM and hit 1400 or so on days that I don't have Kung Fu by using IF. It's a lot easier to feel satisfied eating 1400 calories in 4-6 hours than spread out over the whole day. After adjusting to IF I just don't feel good "eating all day". Makes me sleepy and hungrier than my smaller eating window does.

Oh, i'm 5'6" and go between 135-140 with about 21% body fat.
  • annieownsx
    annieownsx Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I used to try to net 1200 but decided to bump up to 1400 and am pretty happy. I eat breakfast at 6am (typically oatmeal or some cereal, my diary is open!) and then lunch at 11. I'm usually pretty hungry by 11 am. I'm seeing a pretty similar rate of weight loss at 1400 as opposed to 1200 so I'm happy I've switched!
  • BalenciaLynn
    BalenciaLynn Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    i have a perfect example of how i stay at my 1200 a day cal goal...

im freakin stuffed right now, from a huge monster salad i made, with all fresh ingredients... pomagranate seeds, avacado, red, green, and yellow peppers, tomatoe, onion... an entire stock of romain lettuce, a handfull of spinach... dressed with just red wine vinigar, because the juice from the pomagranate seeds gives it so much taste... 307 calories... it was so big, i had to eat it out of a medium size mixing bowl... omg it was so good!!!

this is how i stay within my 1200 cal a day goal... i have had breakfast and lunch (a massive lunch) and only used just over 500 calories... i still have another 700 to go, and im so stuffed, the idea of eating anything anytime soon is not even exhistant!

Mmm i LOVE salads... have you ever tried one with spinach, walnuts, feta cheese, olives , roasted bell peppers, chicken and dried cranberries with a lemon dressing?
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    1. What's your height/ weight?

Presently 5' 6" and 169 pounds
    2. Do you get REALLY REALLY hungry during the day? If not, was there an adjustment period?

Sometimes. Mostly in the morning I may get hunger pangs. But the rest of the day I am usually fine. If I do feel hungry, I just have a snack to tide me over till the next meal.
    3. What do you eat to prevent feeling like death (if you answered that you're not hungry)?

If I get the shakes and realize my blood sugar is too low (hasn't happened in months), I have a sweet snack....fruit or a protein bar.
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I personally think the OP is being very ignorant.
    Some people bodies work just fine on 1500 under calories, yours may not and thats fine thats how your body works. Im not sitting here trying to understand how you can eat so much.

MFP set my calorie intake to 1200 and yet i get slack all the time for it.
    Just because someone is eating a smaller amount of calories then you are doesnt mean they are starving or hungry all the time.

Ignorant? Really? In asking a question? I didn't say OTHER PEOPLE are starving or hungry all the time--I asked if they were. Big difference. Try actually reading the post.

Yes i find you ignorant.

I read the post and i've been reading what you have also been replying to people who are eating under 1500.

As i said before- if you can't eat under 1500 then good for you. Stop trying to understand why other people can.

Your not asking a question, your trying to find people who will justify what they are doing so you can go give your two cents on how you just don't understand how people are not starving from it or how you'd go crazy if you ate so little.

I find you ignorant becasue you don't even know how to use your, you're or then, than correctly.

i could really care less for grammer right now. If it bothers you then don't read it.:laugh:

Lol, she is ignorant for asking a question but you aren't because you have a 3rd grade writing level? By the way, you spelled grammar wrong, so it's obvious it doesn't mean a lot to you.

One more thing, the correct expression is "I couldn't care less."

Like i said she's not asking a question, she’s trying to find people who will justify their reasoning’s for eating "low calories".

I could care less for grammAR while im on the forums as im not here to impress anyone :happy:

and I guess you KNOW what I'm trying to do because you're in my head right? I addressed what you alleged and you didn't respond. Clearly you're the one trying to incite an argument. Please grow up.

No im not in your head but MFP forums are full of ignorant people like yourself who think that they know everything, and somehow know whats best for everyone.

Such a typical situation on MFP.

As for not responding to what you said.....I said what i did because i've seen your posts before on other topics and the message you have on your profile saying "2. If you NET less than 1200 calories I will likely gently nudge and then delete without further warning. (unless you are rather tiny and/or logging in a way that makes this make sense)"
    Yet again your body doe not function the way others may so what may make sense to them doesn't to you and because of that you will just go and delete someone after "gently nudging" them?

ignorant ignorant ignorant:laugh: :laugh:

Yeah, ignorant to have friends with like minded goals and approaches? No, I'd say it's ignorant to do the reverse. If I have a limited number of resources (i.e. time) to devote to my friends then why would I want to spend it on someone who doesn't even have common beliefs?

With having over 8900 posts on forums you clearly have way more time then you think :huh:

When?
  • HazenAllen
    HazenAllen Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your lifestyle. On most non workout days I stay pretty sedentary so I don't eat as much usually, on workout days I eat a little more because I am active that day and I need more energy.
  • gypsyrose64
    gypsyrose64 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I have a few questions for you...

2. Do you get REALLY REALLY hungry during the day? If not, was there an adjustment period?
    3. What do you eat to prevent feeling like death (if you answered that you're not hungry)?

5'5" 240 SW -- 219 CW

BMR = 1695
    TDEE = 2600
    MFP goal set to 1400/day

I started MFP at 1200/day. At first I had some issues with the hunger, but I think it was more mental for me. I did take phentermine for 2wks to curb the "crazy-I'm-gonna-die-if-I-don't-eat" hunger. I got off the rx, and found certain things trigger hunger for me and try to avoid them now. Enriched flour, white bread, sugar will get my cravings cranked up withing an hour of consumption. Probably affecting blood sugar and triggering crashes.

After hitting a plateau, I increased intake to 1400/day. Most days I'm pretty good at reaching goal, but the hunger hasn't come back. I have to force myself to eat now. No Phen now. I do try to eat healthy (not clean per'se) and love snacking on low cal options (ie: cheese, yogurt, fruit, veg, jerky, etc).

Due to back injury, I am not logging exercise now - even though I do calisthenics. Biggest hunger buster for me is protein. A spoonful of peanut butter will kill hunger instantly for me. I'd guess the more active you are, the bigger appetite you have. It makes sense that you're body wants fuel if you're burning it.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I'm 5'3". I weigh 140 and my goal weight it 120. MFP has me set at 1200 calories and I struggle with that EVERY day! I have a 3-year old son and a hectic schedule (I'm a single mom) so I'm not able to eat as healthy as I should and I can't get in time to work out ever day to burn the extra calories. So yeah, I constantly feel like I'm starving or I go over my calories. Very rarely do neither of those things happen.

Thank you for your honesty! You'll get to your goal--slow and steady.
  • proudandprejudiced
    Options

5'1" and 92lbs.

I used to get seriously hungry in between dinner + lunch, so I started eating smaller amounts but more frequently and hunger went away.

I don't really understand this question, lol.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I am hungry all the time whether I eat 2000 calories or 1200. It sucks!! I am old and short 5'3.5" and 41 years old. I like intermittent fasting so I can eat all my calories at once in order to feel full. But I do looove the empty feeling too as long as I am doing it on purpose. Some days are worse than others hunger wise.
  • CLD79
    CLD79 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    bump
  • trishmce
    Options
    I was hungry at first but my body has gotten used to it, my mind has too. I have to eat quality calories to feel good. Steel cut oats with raisins and walnuts in the morning, 1/2 a tuna sandwich mid morning, the other half with a salad around 1-1:30, hummus and veggies or just veggies around three, then for dinner salad, lean protein and veggie. I have a gluten intolerance so I don't have a lot of breads in my diet. The gluten free bread is denser than regular (pricier too) because it has bean flour it has more staying power. I spin 4 days a week and do eat more on those days but my body really craves it. I have been staying away from junk, I have a hard cider when I have the calories but even at all the holiday parties my choices are limited due to my intolerance so I usually just have the veggies and can;t have any dip unless I know how it is made. So quality calories seems to work for me
  • brokenjawedmuse
    Options
    26 // 5'3 // 275lbs

Nope, not at all, actually. I eat between 800 and 1400 calories. Most weeks, I average out to about 1100-1200 calories a day. I find that on some days, just getting to 1000 calories is a chore. I don't eat nearly any processed foods (with the exception of Frankenberry and fudgsicles), so I think that's a good part of never being hungry. When I'm hungry, I eat. But, I don't eat processed crap, which will just make you hungrier.

I'm kind of a boring eater, mainly because I work 50+ hours a week and go to school full-time. I don't have time to worry about what I'm going to eat, so it tends to be repetitious.

My usual day:

Breakfast: 3 shots of espresso over ice with 8oz of non-fat milk, either two packets of instant oatmeal or a spinach feta wrap from Starbucks. Weekends are usually an egg white omelet with various veggies and turkey sausage.

Lunch: 6oz of protein (typically chicken, salmon, or shrimp), 2-3 cups of green veggies, liberal use of Chipotle Tabasco (Mmmm....spicy) or lemon juice

Dinner: Same as lunch

Snacks: Clementines, Fudgicles (end of the day treat), hardboiled eggs (with jalapenos), greek yogurt, pistachios, Frankenberry cereal (don't judge)
  • mommyrocks5
    mommyrocks5 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have a few questions for you...

That is all. It's always puzzled me that at only 4'11 and pretty petite I feel like DEATH if I eat under 1800 calories (to lose weight). I just cannot understand how people adhere to less than that and not cave after 12-16 hours. I think I'd become a binge eater overnight (and I'm being 100% serious). Maybe it's just that I don't have that kind of will power--or maybe it's an adjustment that's hard for everyone in the beginning stages.

In any case, my main point in posting this is that I'm really curious if you are actually HUNGRY and you just resist or if you're fine with your intake.

***I'm not attempting a 1200-1500 calorie diet...I am just curious.***

I am 5'8" 128.5lbs and my cal goal is about 1350 cals. I am usually satisfied...but on the days that I am not...I try to get in more protien.
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Some people need to grow up and stop being so thin skinned.
  • tRiNaBeAnZz
    tRiNaBeAnZz Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hey!
    I am currently eating around 1200 calories per day. I am also 4'11, 24 years old, and hungry, especially since I started working out 5 days per week. I just eat small meals throughout the day, and that keeps me pretty satisfied. I like to snack on apples, greek yogurt, pistachios, almonds and organic crackers.

But...I still eat the foods I love (in moderation) and am not part of some crazy diet that involves no dressing on salad. I found what works for me - eating in moderation, logging my food intake on MFP, and exercising. That's it! 11lbs down, 7 to go! :)

SW: 132.5
    CW:122
    GW: 115