Weight is really just genetic

Options

Replies

• Simona40
    Simona40 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm....I must've been adopted then since I'm the only obese one in my entire family.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    I would recommend a 3-day juice fast and cleanse to jump start a genetic transformation.

Thats a lot of poop.
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a cop-out to me...
  • Yaya1976
    Yaya1976 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but I just don't agree with that. I think that yes, if most of your family members are overweight, then most of the time you will be to. Weight in my family various. My grandparents are both thin. My mom goes up and down. My dad is a pretty small guy, except for his belly :) I think that you have total control of how much you want to weigh. I've always been skinny, just these past 8 years or so, I started gaining and now I'm doing something about it.

23087067.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    Every single member of my family, including extended family, is overweight or obese. But it's not genetic, we all over eat and don't exercise. Whatever part genetics does play in weight, I believe can be corrected through diet and exercise.

It's like when my Mom says we have a history of heart disease in our family, we don't actually - we just have a family history of smoking, drinking whiskey and pouring gravy on everything.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    bump - im not missing the trolls when they come in to eat this thread alive!

looks like you were the first troll
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    I would recommend a 3-day juice fast and cleanse to jump start a genetic transformation.

Thats a lot of poop.

And a crappy idea.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Why do we all even try to lose weight when in the end it is almost entirely genetic? Look at twins they are always the same weight +/- 15 ibs. They have done studies where twins were separated at birth and raised by seperate families. Researchers examined both their BMI and weight and they are always almost exactly the same weight as their twin not taking after the family that raised them.

No one is saying YOU have to try, or should bother. You have to want that for yourself and do the work, and if you'd rather sigh and say "genetics," go for it. But why bother trying to discourage other people?
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    bump - im not missing the trolls when they come in to eat this thread alive!

goes and grabs some popcorn

Can I sit with you and share your popcorn?????
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    no its actually almost entirely environment.
  • gypsyrose64
    gypsyrose64 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    If weight is just genetic, why do so many people on this site lose weight by changing their habits? You can be genetically predisposed to be more overweight than someone else, but it doesn't mean you have no chance of correcting it.

^^^ what she said

I am predisposed to a slow metabolism.
    I carry my weight a certain way (body shape).
    I'll always have big boobs like my mom and grandmother did.

Just because my body prefers to hoard carbs and convert sugar to fat, doesn't excuse my previous life of denial and eating habits.
  • ravengirl1611
    ravengirl1611 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    genetics may (and thats a big may) play a part in whether or not you will gain a lot or a little bit of weight when you're eating and not exercising habits go all to hell for whatever reasons - however - if genetics were the only factor in weight gain no one would be able to lose the weight.

There are a lot of issues that apply to identical twins/triplets that dont apply at all to single births.
  • LittleMiss_WillLoseIt
    LittleMiss_WillLoseIt Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    Danngg... I guess I should just stop trying and gain all my weight back then. *smdh*
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Eating that Big Mac is not genetic, its an excuse to eat one. I know its tough being bigger when I was but hard work pays off and it can be done. Part of my family is bigger but that doesn't make me believe that I should be too.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    tigerpalm.jpg
    Why do we all even try to lose weight when in the end it is almost entirely genetic? Look at twins they are always the same weight +/- 15 ibs. They have done studies where twins were separated at birth and raised by seperate families. Researchers examined both their BMI and weight and they are always almost exactly the same weight as their twin not taking after the family that raised them.

what is the sample size of these twins that were separated at birth? I am sure that is a large sample size.......now really..........certain behaviors/fidgets/etc might be hereditary. These affect weight. Saying that weight is genetic is something fat lazy people say to make themselves feel better. Nothing is predetermined.
    This. Genetics is responsible for less than 10% of body composition. Diet and exercise make up the other 90%. All you're doing is making an excuse.
  • Katbody10
    Katbody10 Posts: 369 Member
    Options

Thats a lot of poop.

And a crappy idea.

Ka-ka Occurs
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options

Your confusing your ESP studies, with your genetic studies.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    To me, the OP sounds like an excuse for not bothering to try and change oneself.

Or a troll thread. Still not sure which.
  • formersec
    formersec Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    None of my blood relatives have or had a weight problem. One aunt did, but she was related by marriage. So no, genetics had nothing to do with my weight gain.
  • rcthale
    rcthale Posts: 141
    Options
    I do believe that genetics determines how efficient our bodies are, more efficient being bad. Genetics also plays a role in the type of ecosystem living in your digestive track, which also affects what your body absorbs from your diet.

Bodybuilders already accept that genetics affects efficiency. Two guys can use the same weights on the same exercises and end up at vastly different sizes and physiques. Again, more efficient is bad in this case.

We're still not even sure if personality traits such as shyness aren't genetically determined. Don't be quick to dismiss the power of your body's DNA. It's just as exact and detailed as any computer program.

Still, you owe it to yourself and your credibility to exercise and keep to a quality diet. That at least helps rule out problems that are under your control.