Protein help! 1 gram/lb seems impossible!

Options

Replies

• commotionstrange
    commotionstrange Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    You simply don't need to, to be healthy.
    Here are the suggested amounts for macronutrients from Health Canada:

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/nutrition/reference/table/ref_macronutr_tbl-eng.php

Your range is about .8 grams/kg/day (kilogram)

Some people want more because they are trying to build lots of muscle. Hence the suggestion I hear on here is .8-1 gram per pound of lean body mass, not total weight.

Thanks! This seems to make more sense to me. I was wondering if someone mixed up the metric. I'm trying to build lean muscle and be fit, but not pack it on, and I'm not on an intensive lifting program (I mainly do ballet).

I appreciate the link.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Honestly 1g/lb isn't bad.. I am about 135lbs and today I've had about 189g of protein without issue :/

How do you know it was without issue? How can tell whether this much protein is slowly damaging your kidneys?
  • commotionstrange
    Options
    Man these are some of the least helpful answers ever!! I do think the answers regarding lean body mass are correct. I'm also a vegetarian who eats fish and seafood occasionally. I am approx 126 lbs and try to eat between 80 and 100 grams of protein daily.
    So you don't think a link to an RDA chart for Health Canada is helpful? ok.

I actually meant because everyone is just telling her to eat meat when she clearly states she is a vegetarian.

I actually agree with this poster! I think that telling a vegetarian to eat meat, is the same as me posting that you shouldn't be religious, or that you shouldn't have children. Totally out of line. Other's moral choices are not yours to comment on. So thanks for pointing this out!

That being said, the poster who originally took offence, wasn't doing this and did post a really helpful link. I appreciate all of the sincere help that's been offered to me by many of the responders!

I think I'll try to eat grams/kg. If I decide to encorporate more significant strength training into my regime, I may look at grams/LEAN body mass (once I figure out what mine is of course).

THANKS!
  • commotionstrange
    Options
    Vegetarians that insist that you can get plenty of protein without meat annoy the !@#$ out of me. You are obviously not one of them which is why you made that post. The simple fact is that beans, tofu, quinoa, etc. are not good sources of protein unless you're a vegetarian. You know how many beans you would need to eat to match the protein in one piece of chicken? Neither do I, but I know it's alot. Protein shakes are really the only way for vegetarians to get anywhere close to their bodyweight in grams without going over your cals.

I'm vegan and do get plenty of protein... hahaha.. does this annoy you too?

I personally don't go to beans as my primary protein source but here's tempeh vs chicken:

http://skipthepie.org/legumes-and-legume-products/tempeh/compared-to/chicken-meatless/#nut

I'm sure you can pull up other comparisons but you were vague on the bean type.

Hehe, awesome :)
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Chocolate Whey for me.
    I love shrimp as a snack.

I do a vegetarian day about once a week and still get to around 100g.
    I could never to it as vegan though.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    You know how many beans you would need to eat to match the protein in one piece of chicken?

It depends on the bean. Dry roasted edamame has about 14 g of protein per 1/4 cup (30 g) serving. Boneless skinless chicken breast has about 10 g of protein in the same size serving. Boom!
  • marathon_mama
    marathon_mama Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    per pound of LEAN body mass not body weight
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    You know how many beans you would need to eat to match the protein in one piece of chicken?

It depends on the bean. Dry roasted edamame has about 14 g of protein per 1/4 cup (30 g) serving. Boneless skinless chicken breast has about 10 g of protein in the same size serving. Boom!

Edamame also comes with more fat (but added fiber). Calorie for calorie, chicken still has more protein...

Still, I'm eating 600 cals of edamame right now.
  • commotionstrange
    Options
    it's called whey.
    Agree^^^
    its not that hard. Greek yogurt has tons of protien too!

Seriously? 'it's called whey'?

That's pretty unhelpful and antogonistic, particilarly since I said I drink vegan protein powders (same protein count as whey but better for you) OR I eat greek yogurt for breakfast. Maybe you should read the post before you suggest the two specific foods I said I already eat every day for breakfast in an antagonistic way.

Just my two cents. Have a lovely day out there people! Lets keep it friendly and supportive :D
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    To the OP...you don't necessarily have to, to be healthy. Protein is an important macro, especially for building lean muscle. I would look at it more from a macro stand point (what % of your diet is protein, fat, carbs...they're all imortant to overall health) and see what works for you. For me, 50% carbs, 25% healthy fats, and 25% protein is working just fine. Now, if I really wanted to get into bulking up and body building, I'd likely need more protein...but I'm finding that this ratio works for me both in terms of losing weight and getting lean (replacing fat with muscle). I also try keep my carb intake as complex as I possibly can...i.e. fruits, vegetables, whole grains. I try to make my proteins as lean as possible and get my fats from things like nuts, olive oil, avacado, etc. I have high cholesterol, so I'm limiting my saturated fats and have for the most part eliminated trans fats save for trace amounts in cooked meat.

In RE to sources for a vegetarian, legumes, more fish (if you're not adverse to that), tofu, high protein/high fiber breakfast cereals like Kashi Go Lean Crunch, etc.
  • Yukongil
    Yukongil Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    people have already spoken on what you realistically need for protein, as for sources to get it; seafood is probably your best bet since you will eat that. Shellfish are incredibly packed with protein for their calorie amounts, as are most fish. A little pouch of light tuna is 17g and only 70 calories, plus all the good fats (just don't go overboard in a short amount of time if you are worried about mercury and whatnot). Light hard cheeses, like swiss, string and the like are also pretty protein dense for their calories.

So for example, a nice spinach salad with steamed shrimp, shaved swiss, with roasted beans and a greek yogurt dressing will pack in the protein and nutrients without a lot of calories.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Edamame also comes with more fat (but added fiber). Calorie for calorie, chicken still has more protein...

Still, I'm eating 600 cals of edamame right now.

Yes, the other nutrients are different. But that wasn't the topic of the post to which I replied. I was merely trying to give the poster a reason not to have "the !@#$" annoyed out of him/her. :flowerforyou:
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Just a FYI if you happen to read the entire thread a lot of folks are suggesting seafood. That's not true vegetarianism. "If it had a mother and father and eyes it's not vegetarian." That's piscitarian I believe but I'm not clear on the spelling. If she's vegan that removes a lot of "vegetarian" options too like milk and eggs.
  • Zangpakto
    Zangpakto Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Honestly 1g/lb isn't bad.. I am about 135lbs and today I've had about 189g of protein without issue :/

How do you know it was without issue? How can tell whether this much protein is slowly damaging your kidneys?

Reason is because as an athlete you do need more. I ended up around 230g of protein today.

I run on average 50-60km / week. that is 2 sprint sessions of 5-6km, 2 medium-hard effort 10-15km runs and a 22-30km long slow run on the weekend.

I also cycle roughly 80km a week. And next year will be adding swimming so can also do an ironman. I'm doing multi stage mountain bike racing, aiming sub 3hr 110km road race, multi day running events, and ultra distance running.

Someone who does a little bit of gym needs more than average, what do you reckon I need? The same as someone who says they train a lot by training 4 times a week for maybe 30m-60m?

I would have serious muscle breakdown if I don't keep up my protein levels. But hey, doctors and sports nutritionalists are always wrong on MFP... sure, listen to the random dudes who haven't been tested, don't know your training or goals etc and just assume your doing it to only get average size and average fitness and do nothing hard :)

I've had heart problems when I was a kid, had eating problems too, so naturally when I train like I do NOW, I make sure it is by the books 100%. A general consensus in running is 60% protein, 30% carbs and 10% fats when training to maintain lbm etc. Can say what you want, but a formula that works for elite sprinters and runners can't be wrong.

Here is a question, as an example, have you seen what most of the olympic athletes ate for their training? Do they look like their kidneys are failing?

I'm sorry, but you cite it is damaging to your kidneys, which sure it might be, if your a lazy bugger and don't actually need the protein.

I'm reducing the protein next year to lower becuase as mentioned now I might run fast 4 x 5-10km runs and only one 22-30km lsd run, next year I'll be doing only 1-2 tempo runs, and be building distance up to around 90km+ / week so will be needing more carbs for fuel as opposed to sprinting which is great for building power and strength and hence the extra protein req.
  • 120weeks
    120weeks Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the responses but you asked for non-vegetarian advice givers too. I suggest chia seeds, edamame, flatout wraps, dark green vegetables, greek yogurt. It all adds up quickly. I use the MFP app several times a day to make sure I am still on target but I try to pre-log as much as possible.

Also, you can tell yourself that you want to incorporate 25 grams of protein per meal (for example) and create meals that you enjoy and can eat often by logging it as a "meal". You mentioned eggs. Great way to get protein in and there are many things you can do with egg whites!
  • bcattoes
    Options

Reason is because as an athlete you do need more. I ended up around 230g of protein today.

I run on average 50-60km / week. that is 2 sprint sessions of 5-6km, 2 medium-hard effort 10-15km runs and a 22-30km long slow run on the weekend.

I also cycle roughly 80km a week. And next year will be adding swimming so can also do an ironman. I'm doing multi stage mountain bike racing, aiming sub 3hr 110km road race, multi day running events, and ultra distance running.

Someone who does a little bit of gym needs more than average, what do you reckon I need? The same as someone who says they train a lot by training 4 times a week for maybe 30m-60m?

I would have serious muscle breakdown if I don't keep up my protein levels. But hey, doctors and sports nutritionalists are always wrong on MFP... sure, listen to the random dudes who haven't been tested, don't know your training or goals etc and just assume your doing it to only get average size and average fitness and do nothing hard :)

I've had heart problems when I was a kid, had eating problems too, so naturally when I train like I do NOW, I make sure it is by the books 100%. A general consensus in running is 60% protein, 30% carbs and 10% fats when training to maintain lbm etc. Can say what you want, but a formula that works for elite sprinters and runners can't be wrong.

Here is a question, as an example, have you seen what most of the olympic athletes ate for their training? Do they look like their kidneys are failing?

I'm sorry, but you cite it is damaging to your kidneys, which sure it might be, if your a lazy bugger and don't actually need the protein.

I'm reducing the protein next year to lower becuase as mentioned now I might run fast 4 x 5-10km runs and only one 22-30km lsd run, next year I'll be doing only 1-2 tempo runs, and be building distance up to around 90km+ / week so will be needing more carbs for fuel as opposed to sprinting which is great for building power and strength and hence the extra protein req.

None of that answers the question. I didn't "cite" anything and never suggested that it was causing you issues. I simply asked how you knew it wasn't. It would be a good idea for anyone eating that much protein to be monitored by a doctor (as athletes are).
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

None of that answers the question. I didn't "cite" anything and never suggested that it was causing you issues. I simply asked how you knew it wasn't. It would be a good idea for anyone eating that much protein to be monitored by a doctor (as athletes are).
    There is no evidence that a person eating that much protein to be concerned about it or be monitored by a doctor that I've ever seen. If you have any, by all means post it. However, you have been asked this before. Multiple times. And you have yet to put up any scientific data indicating this is a concern yet you seen to jump in on any high protein thread with what appears to be baseless fear mongering. Please put up or........ you know the rest.
  • bcattoes
    Options

There is no evidence that a person eating that much protein to be concerned about it or be monitored by a doctor that I've ever seen. If you have any, by all means post it. However, you have been asked this before. Multiple times. And you have yet to put up any scientific data indicating this is a concern yet you seen to jump in on any high protein thread with what appears to be baseless fear mongering. Please put up or........ you know the rest.

Eating more protein than your body can use causes extra work for your kidneys. Extra work for any organ can lead to problems. Don't monitor if you don't want. Intuition is probably the best method here. Why bother with silly medical tests?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Eating more protein than your body can use causes extra work for your kidneys. Extra work for any organ can lead to problems. Don't monitor if you don't want. Intuition is probably the best method here. Why bother with silly medical tests?

So, in other words just your opinion with nothing to back it up? Thanks for playing.

If you come up with any data that indicates this has ever been a probelm that has been documented with atheletes, who as you say are closely monitored, feel free to share. If this was an issue, someone would have studied it by now and there would be some documentation.

To suggest there are health probelms associated with this level of protein intake without proof is fear mongering. Plain and simple.
  • tynishabeezfit
    tynishabeezfit Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    chia seeds, cacao nibs, goji berries. mmm