Why do people lose weight for the wrong reasons?

Options

Replies

• 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about those people who think they need to drop pounds just to fit in a smaller sized wedding dress or they do it for anybody other than themselves. Seems stupid and self-defeating, you should lose weight just for yourself and to make a lifestyle change. Thoughts?

Yay, I love judging people for not being me!
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I want to look good naked and be able to be held upside down during sex.

And if those reasons are wrong, I don't want to be right.
  • meggwtw
    meggwtw Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    QUOTE:
    There's no wrong reason to lose weight if you're doing it in a healthy way to look and feel better. I really hate to see girls doing on silly 500 calorie diets starving themselves to fit into a certain wedding dress. Our neighbour lost a ton of weight for her wedding but told everyone that she was having some stomach issues. She's now gained it all back plus more and admits she willingly stopped eating so she could have her tiny wedding dress. Stupid part is it looks like her husband married someone else because she was only at that weight for about a month!

This is what I'm talking about. Gawd people, relax.
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    gorilla_leaves_thread.gif
  • starvinkevin
    Options
    People are social animals - peer acceptance and mate attraction are strong motivators for suffering :).
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    Everyone's reasons are different. Some people don't really feel the need to lose weight for themselves, so they do it to keep their husbands stiff and to show a good example to their kids, etc.
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I want to look good naked and be able to be held upside during sex.

who doesnt want to have sex upside down??
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Goals are subjective, that's why.
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I want to look good naked and be able to be held upside down during sex.

Get it girl!!!!!
  • ilovemybuggy
    ilovemybuggy Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    QUOTE:
    There's no wrong reason to lose weight if you're doing it in a healthy way to look and feel better. I really hate to see girls doing on silly 500 calorie diets starving themselves to fit into a certain wedding dress. Our neighbour lost a ton of weight for her wedding but told everyone that she was having some stomach issues. She's now gained it all back plus more and admits she willingly stopped eating so she could have her tiny wedding dress. Stupid part is it looks like her husband married someone else because she was only at that weight for about a month!

Actually it wasn't ....but ok
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    QUOTE:

GAWD! Then state that.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    welp this post backfired
  • Rum_Runner
    Rum_Runner Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    QUOTE:

She didn't do it for the "wrong" reason, she just didn't do it the best way possible. Her reason for losing was valid but b/c she crashed her diet she rebounded..... valid reason,poor choice to execute....SIMPLE
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    QUOTE:

And we're backpedaling and we're backpedaling.....
  • meggwtw
    Options
    Don't get me wrong, I want to look good naked and have hot crazy monkey sex, too. BUT it's not my primary motivation to lose weight. The main goal is to be healthier and commit to a lifestyle change. I couldn't give a #$)# about anything else.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    QUOTE:

yeah just keep backpedaling, eventually this thread will die
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Don't get me wrong, I want to look good naked and have hot crazy monkey sex, too. BUT it's not my primary motivation to lose weight. The main goal is to be healthier and commit to a lifestyle change. I couldn't give a #$)# about anything else.

Except the goals of others?
  • bluechip777
    bluechip777 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Not sure where this fits into this post directly --when I see 18 year old girls (mostly) post here how much they hate themselves and asking for help, my heart breaks every time i read that. this mama wants to reach through the screen and give them a hug. it doesn't seem like vanity (and that's fine too), but more so from self hate (cultivated by peers)? what do you guys think?? their reasons for losing weight are drastically different than mine and not coming from a place of judgment whatsoever, just makes me sad.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Um. I don't hate on "sluts" at a bar, and this is totally unrelated to that. My point is that there are wrong reasons to want to lose weight if it's not a long-term lifestyle change. Doing it for a short-term goal and that ALONE is not reasonable.

I think what she MEANS is that people who have odd reasons like " I weigh 120lbs which is a healthy weight for me...but I am SURE that if I lose another 8 my ex boyfriend will fall madly in love with me again--despite the fact that our break up had NOTHING to do with my size" don't seem to get it.

"I want to look good in and out of my clothes" isn't a wrong reason to lose weight...saying " I want to reduce my chances of getting X disease/disorder" is not a bad reason
  • meggwtw
    Options
    I don't back down. I stick to what I said, losing weight for a short term goal and not committing to a lifestyle change = failure in the end.