Why do people lose weight for the wrong reasons?

Options

Replies

• bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I don't believe any reseon is a wrong reason to lose weight. Unless someone is already down to 8% body fat and clearly doesn't need to.
  • RobfromLakewood
    Options
    There's a wrong reason? Every person is different. What seems shallow to you may mean the world to someone else.

Don't judge.

THIS.

I'm glad people are supporting this thought. I'm first in line to judge someone for picking on somebody weak or abusing an animal. But to be critical for why someone wants to lose weight, like your motives are the only good ones, or you have the right to decide which ones are valid or not, makes no sense.
  • bgelliott
    Options
    i have nightmares about being vain or thought of as vain so often that I purposefully knock off positive self talk after a certain point or I purposefully ignore positive feedback to keep my Id in check.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to look good and enjoying it :-)

I agree with you though that at a certain point I steer away from conversations about me but that's more so people don't get the impression that I am conceited. I'm cool with being vain.....lol
  • bgelliott
    Options
    There's a wrong reason? Every person is different. What seems shallow to you may mean the world to someone else.

Don't judge.

THIS.

Amen!

I'm glad people are supporting this thought. I'm first in line to judge someone for picking on somebody weak or abusing an animal. But to be critical for why someone wants to lose weight, like your motives are the only good ones, or you have the right to decide which ones are valid or not, makes no sense.
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with wanting to look good! :)

This!
  • Midnight_Sunshine
    Midnight_Sunshine Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    so that women will hate me more.

:drinker:

Win

OP. Why do people care so much what other people do?

Get a hobby.
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    I'm only here for the upside-down sex conversation. :drinker:
  • Yaya1976
    Yaya1976 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm shallow. I want to lose weight to look better. To not have to buy size large. I want to look good in my boyfriends eyes. On the plus side, eating better and exercising regularly will make me healthier and hopefully live a longer life. People want to lose weight for many different reason. It might start out because of a pretty wedding dress and hopefully that will continue to a better life style? Who am I to judge or say that you're losing weight for the wrong reasons.

23087067.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about those people who think they need to drop pounds just to fit in a smaller sized wedding dress or they do it for anybody other than themselves. Seems stupid and self-defeating, you should lose weight just for yourself and to make a lifestyle change. Thoughts?

Actually, nothing worked for me until I decided to change for my HEALTH. The weight loss is just a nice side effect of being in the best health of my life.

Yeah, I think weight loss for vanity or societal reasons is completely irrelevant and unsustainable.

Edit: but yes, it is an age thing. When I was young, I just cared about how I looked, and I think that's why I couldn't stick with anything, because I wasn't doing it for me, I was doing it for how I looked to others. That, and the nutritional advice that I received was totally false. That sure didn't help.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about those people who think they need to drop pounds just to fit in a smaller sized wedding dress or they do it for anybody other than themselves. Seems stupid and self-defeating, you should lose weight just for yourself and to make a lifestyle change. Thoughts?

Actually, nothing worked for me until I decided to change for my HEALTH. The weight loss is just a nice side effect of being in the best health of my life.

Yeah, I think weight loss for vanity or societal reasons is completely irrelevant and unsustainable.

Meh... If I were worried about my health so much then I'd quit smoking.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options

I was speaking for me. And I don't smoke (though I think there are worse things than smoking).
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Personally I think peoples reasons change with age. When you are younger you do it to look good and enjoy life, as you get older you start to think more longer term about these goals and how they will help you later in life.

I am younger I would guess at 26, and I tend to think I can't wait to be that size again blah blah, but in the back of my mind is all the health issues my parents have (neither are obese) yet they still have lists of issues, so did my grandparents and I don't want to have that happen to me because I was an idiot now.

Darlin' - Of course being healthy is the best reason to lose weight, but us "older" folks want to look good, too. Oh yeah. And enjoy life.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I think the OP may have meant - rying to lose all your weight in 6 weeks to fit into a wedding dress with absolutely no plans to continue to improve or any desire to understand the process. Those who want a quick fix and no learning required, just to meet an event deadline and then they dont care if they gain it back.
  • Brenda_Pancakes
    Brenda_Pancakes Posts: 288 Member
    Options

I am stricktly only here for vanity - and to encourage WendyTerry to quit smoking.
  • ceceshunshine
    Options
    I've been wondering the same thing about why people create posts

lol THIS
  • Psychedelicately
    Psychedelicately Posts: 81 Member
    Options

Don't judge.

This.
  • totallydevious
    totallydevious Posts: 309 Member
    Options

Don't judge.

Agreed. :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options

I am stricktly only here for vanity - and to encourage WendyTerry to quit smoking.

Soggy pancakes.
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with wanting to look and feel good but there is a right and wrong way to do it. I heard of a women who wanted to lose weight to look good for her wedding. She cut her calories to 600 per day. She lost weight but it was such a shock to her system instead of people seeing her walk down the aisle on here wedding day, they saw her at her funeral. She suffered a hart attack and it killed her.
  • maqsmj
    maqsmj Posts: 697
    Options
    any reason to lose weight is a good reason