Replies

• Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Nicely said! Congrats on your success! :flowerforyou:
  • superpapa16
    superpapa16 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    People say stupid stuff to make their lack of effort seem less obvious. If you're "lucky" it gives their laziness an excuse. Just reply with a simple comment about the work and determination you have.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I get tired of the "You're so lucky you don't have kids, you have all the time in the world to workout and cook healthy food, etc...". Really?!? What you don't know is I've lost weight because my husband and I have been trying to get pregnant and couldn't due to my weight! I don't understand how people can blame not working out and eating healthy on having kids, if you're dedicated I believe you'll find the time.

I often wonder how people with kids have time to get fat. When my kids were at home, staying thin was much easier because I never had time to just sit around and eat. Plus, I found it easier to not eat too much junk when I was trying to set an example.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I recently had "But you do tai chi" - well, what's stopping you doing tai chi then? That's right - nothing.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I have heard it a lot, but in the defense of those saying it, I am "naturally" thin, although there are many overweight people in my family and diabetes is rampant in our gene pool, also.

So I guess I am lucky... lucky that I grew up in a household that ate mostly real food, instead of overly processed crap. That's not to say that I never had mcdonalds or mac n cheese as a kid, but the majority of meals were recognizably an animal and a vegetable. We ate cow, pig, chicken, broccoli, green beans, spinach, carrots, potatoes, peas, milk, juice, butter, eggs, ya know, real food most of the time. I'm also lucky that I grew up an active kid with trees to climb, forts to build, horses to ride, brush and muck up after, kites to fly, and neighbor kids to play tag, soccer, and hide and seek with. I'm also lucky to have a small frame, I suppose.

So, there is some truth to the 'accusations' of luck in my case. But I still eat well and am active, and that's why I'm thin. It's not magic. But there may be some luck involved.
  • UticaBoy51
    UticaBoy51 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Lucky is winning the lottery. Nicely said. I think I may have been one of those people at some point that said that to someone.... until I woke up and figured it out.
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    During a conversation I was having with an overweight family friend about their struggles with their weight, I was told "You're so lucky to have anorexia. I wish I could have that for a little while!"

I was just out of a 6 month stint in hospital where, on admission, I'd had the Last Rites because they thought I was going to die.

Lucky ol' me, eh?
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    i get it all the time
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    I hear the word "genetics" being thrown around more than "lucky". I guess they're both related.
  • buffcleb
    buffcleb Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Yeah I get that now that I'm losing... I've dropped almost 50 pounds since september and people say that it's so easy for me...

They're right... The hardest part was the first step...

When I decided to lose weight after not caring about it and asked someone else where they were logging their calories... That was hard... logging everyday since has been easy...

That first party we went to and I, the big eater, had a mostly empty plate and a sliver of cake... that was hard... now we go to events all the time and I stay within my goals...

Going to the gym that first time at 280 with a bunch of college kids who are all fit... that was hard... now I go five days a week... and yeah as I push myself somedays are still hard... but not as hard as that first day...
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I totally agree and then theres this one: "you dont need to go to the gym. youre already thin"

Well I sure didnt get that way by NOT GOING TO THE GYM.
  • mnmomto4
    mnmomto4 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I get tired of the "You're so lucky you don't have kids, you have all the time in the world to workout and cook healthy food, etc...". Really?!? What you don't know is I've lost weight because my husband and I have been trying to get pregnant and couldn't due to my weight! I don't understand how people can blame not working out and eating healthy on having kids, if you're dedicated I believe you'll find the time.

Really people say that to you??? Who would say something like that. I have two chlidren and I would never say something like that. One, I am so grateful for my children. I would never think to say to someone your lucky to not have kids. Plus as far as time to cook healthy and work out. I find the time and I work and have a 1 and 2 year old. You make time if you want to do it.

I am especially sorry for your struggles. I hope 2013 gives you and your husband good news.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Don't let the whales put you down

Seriously?

GTFO.png

OP, I see what you are saying, and that could be quite annoying if they actually meant it in that way, or if they were literally sitting on the couch shoving food in their mouth as they said it, but maybe, just maybe, not everything needs to be so overanalyzed. Maybe they are just awkward, and think they were giving you a compliment? I am EXTREMELY socially awkward, and I am known to say dumbass sounding things in an attempt to make someone else feel good. *shrug* YMMV
  • JanelleG0122
    JanelleG0122 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I get that all the time. This morning someone asked me why I didn't eat any of the donuts someone brought into work, because "You're so skinny, you can eat as many as you want!" My comment? "I'm skinny because I don't eat the donuts."

This happens to me all the time, no i'm not skinny, but i'm working towards it. I'm constantly getting looks from my coworkers when they offer them to me, cause I turn them down. I don't need nor want the donuts, i'm completely content with my fiber one bar and protein powder for breakfast....
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Tell me I'm lucky when you see how I look when I come in from running 6 miles while it's snowing. Tell me I'm lucky when you check out the callouses on my hands from lifting. Tell me I'm lucky when I'm balancing my calories and macros with more care than most people use when balancing their checkbooks.

It's not luck, it's work. The only lucky part is that I (mostly) enjoy the work. :bigsmile:
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Ugh my therapist said this to me the other day. It doesn't make sense though because she saw me at my heaviest and saw me struggle to lose almost 30lbs. I had to yell at her a little bit because she doesn't understand that I spend AT LEAST 1 1/2-2 hours in the gym every day, when I have time and weather permits I run/bike, and I'm super strict about what I eat and I weigh every piece of food I eat. I haven't gone over my calories even by 1 in over two months. Not even on thanksgiving! She tried to say that I was "naturally like this" when she saw how I was naturally 30lbs ago!
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    When I lost all my weight with my first child, I heard that a lot. "You're so lucky". Ughh. It drove me crazy. I worked so hard to lose that weight and luck had nothing to do with it!!
  • TLEIGH33777
    TLEIGH33777 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Has anyone ever said that to you about being in shape, losing weight or the way you look in general? "You're so lucky you're skinny..it's just so easy for you..." I'm so lucky? So easy? Yes..I was so lucky that one day I watched a P90X infomercial, called and ordered it, stopped making excuses, peeled myself outta bed every effin day sore muscles and all and gave it everything I had. So lucky that I started shopping and eating different, that the 9 inches I lost just fell off with no effort (factious). I had the drive, determination and dedication to change something I didn't like. Last I checked, that was called willpower - not luck.

Sorry...I just hate when people are sitting on their *kitten* elbow deep in a Lay's chip bag drinking Coca-cola telling me "how lucky I am"....

Most of us were on that other side of the fence at one time or another. How lucky that you had that wake up call, hopefully your friend does too. A lot of people never will. But, because you have have lost the weight and inches, is it now ok to look down on them?
  • klwells08
    klwells08 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    The latest phrase in my family is "it is sooo much easier to lose weight when you are young." I'm not that young at 35 and it isn't easy. I've worked my butt off. I would love to see how easy they think my workouts are and watch every bite of food. It would be "easy" for them too if they did the things I have done. As you can tell, this has been driving me nuts. Frankly, I find it insulting and almost like an attempt to diminish my accomplishments.
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    You and me both, sistah. It's not luck. It's hard work. Crazy making.