How do you wake up early for exercise?

Options

Replies

• laurie62ann
    laurie62ann Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I had to make the change to morning workouts this past September. Tips:

Set your alarm away from my bed so you have to physical get out of bed to turn it off.
    Make sure your clothes are out and ready to go, that means sneakers too.
    Be sure to have a huge class of water to get you body moving; I don't understand why but this helps me!

It took me 3-4 weeks before it was just routine. Now if I don't get that morning workout in, I feel like crap all day.

Good Luck!
  • Syndri
    Syndri Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    As soon as the alarm goes off, I jump out of bed and start beating myself in the chest while screaming ,"IT'S GO TIME, LET'S DO THIS!!"

My children need therapy, but at least I get my workout in.

Ha ha love this!!
  • bellydancer124
    Options
    I set out my gym clothes the night before, so that's one less thing I have to think about. I'm pretty much a zombie before 10 a.m., so I work out on automatic pilot at 6:30.

With that said, I LOVE non workout days when i can sleep later. :smooched:
  • PrincessNikkiBoo
    PrincessNikkiBoo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I lay everything out ready for working out the night before. I also set my alarm to go off 10 mins earlier than usual because I know I'll hit the snooze button once. It makes me feel like I've had a little bit of a sleep in!
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    shot of espresso as soon as you wake up, you arent going back to sleep after that!

That's what you think! lol

I believe that like so many other things, it's a decision. If it's what you want, you just have to do it. It'll probably get easier over time. It might help to sleep in your workout clothes, or to set your coffee pot to start brewing just before you want to wake up.
  • dantrick
    dantrick Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    set the alarm for 5am, never hit snooze just get up. first week is hard after that you start going to bed earlier. so getting up at 5am isn't that hard. think of it as just adjusting your awake hours. think of someone who works graveyard shifts, they sleep at weird times to the rest of the world. after a little bit you get used to it and it isn't an issue.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I get up at 3:45 to work out. I just do it.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    When I started off, I wore my workout clothes to bed - everything but the shoes. I felt extra awful if I didn't get up when I was already dressed. After a week or so it just became habit and I stopped wearing my clothes to bed.
  • Bolthouse26
    Bolthouse26 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I usually plan it out in the beginning of the week and I keep 2 morning and 4 evenings for exercise, that's what has been my schedule for the past 2 months. I am a good bookkeeper and I follow my planner like a holy book so I think that helps me plus I give myself a bigger treat every morning day and a slightly smaller treat for evening day. Next year I am hoping to do a 3 and 3 schedule. Nonetheless, it does take a lot of determination especially in cold winters of upper peninsula when it's pitch dark at 6 am.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    My alarm clock music is something motivating. Right now it's Eye of the Tiger.

Also, i know myself. I can't sleep until 5:55am and walk out the door ready to exercise five minutes later. My gym opens at 6am. I wake up at 5:30 and have coffee and watch the news. By six I'm getting dressed and starting to head out the door.
  • cindybowcut
    cindybowcut Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Most mornings I have to fight with myself to get up and exercise. But than I have to remind myself how much better I will feel after I have exercised. I know that if I wait until evening there is no way that I will be able to work out, there is never time. Set your alarm, when it goes off get out of bed. Once you are up there is no sense in going back to bed.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I just decide to do something and then I do what it takes to, you know, actually do it. The tips and tricks people are offering you only work for people that have already decided to do what they said they were going to do. You can make a trail of Under Armor gear from the foot of your bed to the front door and it won't help if you don't decide to get up and get out.

Man up. If you really want to get up and work out, then get up and do it.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Meet someone the night before with your beer-goggles on.
    Roll over see the scary-scary.
    You'll get your *kitten* up bright and early.
    jk

Just get up when the alarm goes off. After awhile it becomes second nature.
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I won't do it unless it's something I really want to do. I've tried for yoga, running etc... each time i will for a day or two and then go "meh" but I now get up at 4 am 2-3x a week to do crossfit. I think it just has to be something you really want to do.
  • johloz
    johloz Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    You make yourself get up really early one morning. If you have a difficult time getting up, set several obnoxiously loud alarms around the room to go off at the same time. That night, you will be tired, so you have to give yourself a bedtime and make sure you are in bed at that time. Do this every single day. After a while, your body will adjust to the schedule and it won't be so difficult. I get up at 5:00 every morning, so I make sure I'm in bed by 9:30 at the latest. If I stay up until after 10, it is extremely difficult to get up at 5:00.
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    My cat wont let me sleep past 5.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    i go to sleep in my workout bra and shorts. i also go to bed early enough that i'm well rested and able to get out of bed without dragging.

i have too much energy in the mornings to just lay there. i often wake up 5-10 minutes before my alarm, turn off my alarm, and lay in bed for a bit slowly waking up.

have you tried that sleep app? it tracks your sleep all night and times it to wake you up during your rem stage ( i think!) so you don't feel as tired as when you wake up during a stage 4.
  • tubbyelmo
    tubbyelmo Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I lay out my clothes the night before, though I only exercise at home it still helps me drag myself out of bed. I admit though, the one thing that gets me moving is knowing I get my breakfast once the workout is over - loving my food this is normally all the motivation I need :bigsmile:
  • ttknowles01
    ttknowles01 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I'm a morning person...always have been. Up at 5 AM to get the workout in, and I am off and running for the rest of the day. I don't crash until about 9:30/10 PM
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I lay out everything the night before and pack my gym bag so I'm ready to go bright and early. However, unless I go to bed at a reasonable hour, then there's no way I can get up to exercise. For me, it's all about having enough sleep the night before.