LADIES: birth control and weight loss/gain

Options

Replies

• sapf
    sapf Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I notice that when I'm on the placebos of my BC I crave sweets (and maybe all food) like crazy. I'm over halfway through my calories at 11 am. Ugh...
  • Juliane_
    Juliane_ Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    It depends on your body. I personally prefer not to risk it because I don't know how those hormones will affect me. Back in the day I tried the Depo shot and I completely stalled regardless of how much exercise diet I did the scale would not budge. I got frustrated and never again went back on hormone anything. I use the IUD copper paragard instead. Even the Mirena has hormones! I find no purpose in that.

You have to see what you're willing to put your body through...you will certaintly have to experiment a bit to find a birth control that is right for you and your body.
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I've been on the pill for over 10 years and I have lost 35 pounds since starting MFP a year ago still on the pill. I don't think that my weight gain over the years had anything to do with being on the pill.
  • mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I take tri sprintec. I have lost nearly 40 pounds while on the pill. I don't know whether or not it makes you gain weight, but it doesn't stop you have losing weight.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I didn't notice any weight gain on BC much (I had other hormonal issues that caused my weight gain, hence why I'm here), but my breasts DID get noticeably larger. And have stayed large even while losing weight on BC (Microgestin 1.5).

However, I've been off for five days now in a limbo period of being told I can go back on them, as I just had a mini-stroke (DON'T BE ALARMED, GIRLS).

So this will be something of an experiment to see if my weight changes at all... then again, I am gushing blood.

I MISS MY BC ALREADY :(
  • IvyWhispers
    IvyWhispers Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have the depo shot and I haven't gained any weight yet...next ones due in 2 weeks so I'll have to see how it works long term but at the moment I haven't had any problems with it
  • cjh022
    cjh022 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I just started back on birth control and it's definitely something I'm worried about as well. I'm using NuvaRing and hoping that I won't gain any and will still continue to lose. I'm just going to make sure that I hit my cals for at least the next couple of weeks until Christmas and try to stay on target then as well.

I've been on Nuvaring for 5 years now and no complaints except I wish my insurance covered more of it :smile: I did start to put on weight around the time I started it but I think that was more a result of not enough exercise and poor eating habits. I like the convenience of not having to take a pill on a daily basis since I can tend to be forgetful.

Same here, three years and I love NuvaRing! The pill made me psycho emotional and I hated taking it everyday.

edit: never had any issues with weight loss/ gain on the pill or ring. I really think we just need to pay extra attention to our own habits when we start a new bc as changing hormones have an affect on our habits more than just "gaining weight"
  • sapf
    sapf Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I didn't notice any weight gain on BC much (I had other hormonal issues that caused my weight gain, hence why I'm here), but my breasts DID get noticeably larger. And have stayed large even while losing weight on BC (Microgestin 1.5).

However, I've been off for five days now in a limbo period of being told I can go back on them, as I just had a mini-stroke (DON'T BE ALARMED, GIRLS).

So this will be something of an experiment to see if my weight changes at all... then again, I am gushing blood.

This mini stroke = super concerning. It is one of the reasons I'm a little afraid of birth control!
  • firstsip
    Options
    I blamed my wight gain on my birth control. but the truth is, that's ALL UP TO YOU! I was on the shot, Depo Vera. Though there was some initial weight gain, I failed to see that my eating habits and lack of exercise were the main cause. i've been on the shot for 3 years now, and I lost over 30 lbs in three months as soon as I changed my diet and exercise. Stick to what you're doing, maybe bump the cardio a bit. Just remember that some of the hormones make you feel more hungry and less full. Count your calories and you should be fine! And again, I would go with the shot over the pill. Once every three months as opposed to every day! It's a lot harder to lose weight after having a child.

Unfortunately, anecdotal doesn't mean it's for everyone. It's good you recognized your habits and could change them, but many women have issues with various BCs because of water retention. Some women DO increase weight because of the increase in cravings, but many have issues with water retention, breast growth, etc. Some women are fine, and even lose weight (for instance, successful BC treatment of PCOS). And you're a striking example of how all women are different, because boy have I read and heard awful things about Depo! Glad it worked well for you!
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I did not gain or lose weight while I was on the pill.
  • nosey_rosey
    nosey_rosey Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I have lost 20 lbs on the nuva ring no problem.... My doc said eat like a pig and you will gain but create a deficit and birth control won't cause any problems
  • firstsip
    Options

This mini stroke = super concerning. It is one of the reasons I'm a little afraid of birth control!

It is, and I don't think anyone should brush it off, either! However, two cardiologists both agreed that mine was probably less BC related (I had been on the low dose Microgestin for over two years, and risk goes down the longer your body acclimates to a pill), and more related to a perfect storm of having an undiagnosed PFO (also something not usually needed to worry about) with chronic migraines, a family history, and stress?

Haha, we'll see today, since my blood clot factor test comes in to the docs... I'll update in this thread :P
  • goofyblonde
    goofyblonde Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I use the Levora pill, and while I don't think it had anything to do with my weight gain- that was all me, not paying attention to what/how much I was eating and not being active- it has done nothing to hinder my weight loss!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I take Lo Loestrin (obviously from the name it's a low-dose hormone) and it does give me a VORACIOUS appetite which I will sometimes fight, and sometimes give into. I lost 40lbs while taking Yaz (which is no longer dispensed). Been maintaining a weight I'm happy with for almost 4 years now.

That's just my experience, I know that it usually does cause an increase in appetite and I know some women see a weight increase without changing their diet (yes, hormones can do this). The most important thing is to keep your diet consistent. And if you find you're gaining weight, try switching to another one. They may not all have that effect on you. BC is not worth being miserable over.
  • louiselebeau
    louiselebeau Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I gained 80 pounds while not being on the pill... I got knocked up. I use Yasmin... and its AWESOME! I am not nearly as moody during PMS as I was. I also can lose weight while on it.
  • HotMummyMission
    HotMummyMission Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Copper coil I lost 28lbs months after I had it and still losing
  • pokat302
    pokat302 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I gained all of my weight while on hormonal birth control. Gained 40 pounds in about 8 months while on Orthra Tri Cyclen and/or Nuva Ring. I since learned that the estrogen in birth control caused my pre-diabetes and insulin resistance to really go into overdrive. Estrogen makes insulin resistance worse. I switched to non-hormonal IUD - Paraguard and started to follow a low-carb diet, and the weight started to come off. If you can't use a non-hormonal birth control - cut out your carbs.
  • robynj88
    robynj88 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    My dr told me that there are other brands of the pill out there that you wont gain on, its just a matter of trial and error - he also said that the more expensive brands you are less likely to gain on.

It makes me sad that you guys have to pay for the pill. Here in the UK it's completely free, all different brands. Although someone should keep pointing that out to the huge amounts of teenage mums we end up with... *rolls eyes*
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I lost all my weight then went back on the pill. I've been able to maintain pretty easily. I think most women gain weight when they really aren't watching, then blame the pill for the weight gain. I've NEVER had any issues with being able to lose while on it and I've been off and on it for 15 years.
  • Belle8312
    Belle8312 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I got back on birth control and gained 12 pounds in less than 6 weeks. And that was with eating well and working out 6 days a week. However, I have had friends who have never had a problem, I guess it just depends on the person.