False complimenters... RANT

Options
123457»

Replies

• questiontheanswers
    questiontheanswers Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Id prefer they didn't use the word Journey

Thank you! Pet peeve related to this whole weight loss thing. Calling it a journey makes me want to gag.
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean!

I'm tired of the "encouragement" and "positive re-enforcement" I keep getting.

I wish that once, JUST ONCE my mother would punch me in the kidneys and call me a Twinkie-huffing b*tch.
  • KodAkuraMacKyen
    KodAkuraMacKyen Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    As much as craving and needing compliments is bad, not being able to take and appreciate them is equally bad.

This
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean!

I wish that once, JUST ONCE my mother would punch me in the kidneys and call me a Twinkie-huffing b*tch.

O_O

:heart:!!!
  • Mutant13
    Options
    **bows**
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I could totally hear my late mother saying, "wasting away to nothing" because that is how she would have said it, and in her case, it's a genuine complement, just a more florid way of saying "getting thin." Maybe it's a generational thing. Mom was born in 1935 and she and all her siblings spoke in metaphors and idiomatic expressions frequently, and everyone seemed always to understand what they were saying.

My mother-in-law is wonderful and I am glad to talk to her any time. She won't be with us forever. Why would I nit-pick something she said that was not meant to be taken literally, instead of accepting the sentiment behind the words?
  • SlimT05
    SlimT05 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I understand what you mean. You're not saying that you don't accept compliments and appreciate them, but when some say them often and with it seems like "no real feeling" behind it, it can tend to seem insincere. I have those people, who just compliment to say something and it can get a little annoying, because its hard to determine what they really feel. For those who are truly encouraging, I know it and can feel the difference and am truly encouraged from them as oppose to a "false complimenter". I would not get upset, just simply say thank you. Its makes those sincere compliments that much sweeter. Keep up the good work!
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I don't care how I'm complimented. It means a lot to me knowing that someone took the time to notice something "pretty" about me. And I love being told that I'm shrinking away to nothing, even though it's not necessarily true :tongue: .
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean!

You win the internet today.
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    You're probably right, since you've only lost 13 lbs so far, they're probably just trying to encourage you to continue, but you probably don't look all that good, and you are definitely not shrinking away to nothing. It's a good thing you are very vocal about your weight loss and diet, otherwise no one would even notice. I know, I know, you want to be held accountable and you're not fishing for compliments when you say things like, "I can't eat that cake, I've lost 13 pounds so far and I'm going to keep on losing!" or "No, I can't go to the movies with all of you, I have to go to the gym tonight because I've lost 13 pounds and I've got to keep it up!"

You want a rant, here's a rant. People who use journey or lifestyle change when losing weight. People who constantly complain about how hard it is to lose weight or think they have to alienate everything because it might make them fat to eat a piece of pie at Christmas or Thanksgiving. People who think skipping a work out will make them fall into some kind of fat absorbing abyss. People who complain about not being noticed because they're fat, and then complain about someone noticing them because they lost weight. People who start trying to preach that this food group or that food group is evil, just because they don't like it or they read an article or watched some stupid documentary. People who go on and on about how they are special and they don't lose weight the same way the rest of the planet does, or that they have some special alien DNA that makes them gain 18 lbs of muscle because of one workout.

Take the compliments or just set the people on fire. It's really up to you how you want to handle they annoying people who want to encourage you and help you reach your goals. Heaven forbid your actually just say "Thank you" and then get on with your life.

/RANT

:drinker:
  • Mutant13
    Options
    Lovechicago, gratitude ;)
  • hkry3250
    hkry3250 Posts: 140
    Options
    You're probably right, since you've only lost 13 lbs so far, they're probably just trying to encourage you to continue, but you probably don't look all that good, and you are definitely not shrinking away to nothing. It's a good thing you are very vocal about your weight loss and diet, otherwise no one would even notice. I know, I know, you want to be held accountable and you're not fishing for compliments when you say things like, "I can't eat that cake, I've lost 13 pounds so far and I'm going to keep on losing!" or "No, I can't go to the movies with all of you, I have to go to the gym tonight because I've lost 13 pounds and I've got to keep it up!"

You want a rant, here's a rant. People who use journey or lifestyle change when losing weight. People who constantly complain about how hard it is to lose weight or think they have to alienate everything because it might make them fat to eat a piece of pie at Christmas or Thanksgiving. People who think skipping a work out will make them fall into some kind of fat absorbing abyss. People who complain about not being noticed because they're fat, and then complain about someone noticing them because they lost weight. People who start trying to preach that this food group or that food group is evil, just because they don't like it or they read an article or watched some stupid documentary. People who go on and on about how they are special and they don't lose weight the same way the rest of the planet does, or that they have some special alien DNA that makes them gain 18 lbs of muscle because of one workout.

Take the compliments or just set the people on fire. It's really up to you how you want to handle they annoying people who want to encourage you and help you reach your goals. Heaven forbid your actually just say "Thank you" and then get on with your life.

/RANT
    I LOVE this rant. But as for my rant, how the eff do i only quote one part of a post without quoting the whole thing? How do i get those little ^^ ah, nvm just figured that one out. lol
  • Bermudabarbie
    Bermudabarbie Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Many of us are on the insecure side. We need lots of compliments. I am one of those!

Sometimes it's difficult to react to a compliment. But hearing people say positive things is always appreciated.

I study the habits of highly successful people. Most of them are upbeat, and their immense positive energy is totally captivating and, perhaps, a key to their success! Just an observation!
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Perhaps if you weren't so vocal about your healthier "lifestyle and weight loss program", they wouldn't feel obligated to "tell you what they think you want to hear". Keep quiet and keep doing what you are doing. Then, the compliments you receive will be more genuine.
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options

/RANT

Wow. Well said. :smile:
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options

/RANT

Standing up an toasts this rant :drinker:
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • BFit40
    BFit40 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I take any compliment as an encouragement. This is my goal and any push is welcome. If people say it falsely, it backfires on them. I take it as encouragement and work harder.