Size 12= about 40 inches of fabric

Options
I have something to say. A thread from yesterday, "Size 12=fat", really has me feeling a certain kind of way- so, I need all of you to help me prove a point. See, many people argued whether size 12 was consider fat or not. Some people said yes, some said no. Which is even the more reason why there is no "right" answer to this question. Whether someone looks "fat" or "skinny" is in the eye of the beholder. Folks even threw in the race card..... So let's be real, the size that one appears to be -is based on numerous aspects- culture, culture perception, culture preference, personal preference, height, body structure, body frame, bone structure, elasticity, muscle tone, clothing brand, color, material, etc., and etc.,.! Yesterday someone even compared Kate Moss to Marilyn Monroe-stating they had the same measurements, therefore, Marilyn was not a size 12, as many people argued she was on the tread. I don't know what size Marilyn was, considering there are so many speculations, but, I can tell you she was curvy, her weight fluctuated, and she and Kate Moss- definitely do not have the same body shape, period! Which proves again, that clothing size or weight does not necessarily dictate your actual size. As woman we really need to stop comparing ourselves to others and setting unrealistic objectives. We were all given a body we did not choose. We all have specific body types and structures. Do not believe that you can achieve any body type you want, it's not true! However, you can perfect the body you already have. And am' talking via natural remedies. We all have the capabilities to be beautiful and comfortable in our skin, whether your skinny, thin, muscular, semi-muscular, curvy, thick, full-figured, big, etc., and etc.,... The first key to happiness is loving yourself. The second is being healthier. The third, is finding "your" ideal body- within realistic measures. I have friends here who range from, very fit to heavy- yet, they all look great. It's all about what you want; we all have our own opinions; and everyone is not going to find you attractive. The truth is "Size 12= about 40 inches of fabric". Embrace who you are and your preference! Do me a favor and list as followed: Race, Height, Weight and Clothing Size. Watch and see how everyone's sizes vary:

Replies

• DiaryOfaThickFitWoman
    Options
    Black, 5'5 1/2, 229.6, 16
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I really love what you have posted here, and I agree with your sentiment. We need to appreciate the bodies we have, and work towards something that is in the realm of possibilities for our own body type.

I see so many people asking how they can change not only their fitness level but also their body shape. It bums me out seeing women set themselves up for failure.
  • keeks8281
    Options
    Great post!!

White, 5'8", 183, 12
  • eellis2000
    eellis2000 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    white 5.2 163 14
  • RockaholicMama
    RockaholicMama Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    White, 6' (I know, I'm too tall) 217 and size 12/14 depending on the style of the jeans.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    asian, 5'5, 263, ~size 16

I agree. As long as a person is happy with their own body, why does it matter to anyone else?

Personally I don't have a goal weight or size. I have a range, but it's very tentative. I want to love myself, my body, and be able to shop in more normal clothes stores. I'm currently looking to be a 14-16. I came to this size because I was a 12 dress in high school.
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    White, 5'2", 190, 14
  • Midnight_Sunshine
    Midnight_Sunshine Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Caucasian, 5'5", 160lbs, size 10.

It only takes a 5 pound loss for me to go to a size 8.
  • Junken_Diraffe
    Junken_Diraffe Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    White, 6', 152lbs, size 6/8
  • kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    white, 5'1", 130, size 4
  • alladream
    alladream Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    White, 5'61/2", about 165, varies from 8-14 depending on brand--
  • ceannesjourney
    Options
    Amen! Well said!
  • Junken_Diraffe
    Junken_Diraffe Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    White, 6' (I know, I'm too tall) 217 and size 12/14 depending on the style of the jeans.

"too tall"??? No such thing, honey! I'm 6' as well, just rock it!!
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    black/other, 5'4", 155 pounds, size 6/8

ps. I was a size 12 at 180 pounds
  • jryepin
    jryepin Posts: 114
    Options
    Indian 5'5 192.5 size 12
  • Daysednconfused
    Daysednconfused Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    But you forgot age! lol

anyway, I'm 48
    White
    5'5"
    146.2 lbs
    size 10 or 12
  • npeters519
    npeters519 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    White 5'10" 216 size 16 29 years old

I have to lose a good 10-12 lbs to change sizes :( Makes for slow shopping motivation.
  • Camille0502
    Camille0502 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Size matters - or we wouldn't all be here! Studies repeatedly show that losing weight reduces high blood pressure and diabetes. That's what I'm going for! I don't care if it is a size 12 or 8, I'm doing this for my health. Not what others think.

Interesting statistic. I am interested in seeing the results. I've always felt that sisters can weigh more but look the same size as their Caucasian sisters. Perhaps we are more muscular?

Black (mixed) 5' 3" 171, size 12
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    White, 5'5 121.6lbs Dress size 3/4 Pants size 5/6 (tho they're too big, but my fat is sensitive & doesn't look look good in 4s. This is why I like dresses haha)
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    Yes! Great post!

Woot! Woot!

I'm 5'4", 135 lbs, size 4/5

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

and thanks to vanity sizing, the size # really doesn't matter. We should compare measurements... for example, some ladies my height/weight/bf have a waist three inches smaller than mine. We wear the same size tho cuz our hips are the same. I just got a thick core- yeah there's fat, but it's also the muscle there just my build. I'll never have a 24" waist. Not without some serious corsetting action!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!