Size 12= about 40 inches of fabric

Options

Replies

• DiaryOfaThickFitWoman
    Options
    Also, whether 12 equals 40 inches or not, my 12 and your 12 may look different. Everyone's backside IS NOT shaped the same! How could it be? You have people ranging from all heights and weighing between 140-200 at a size 12. How can it be the same? Smh at some people. Reality is Reality!!

This is also not a health debate, its about size and perceptions. I know women at a size 13 with a 28 waist and no health problems. So again, your weight does not imply that you are healthy.....your weight does not mean you are fit or are not, necessarily.

Tell me this, how can health diseases, eye color and even personality traits pass along- but body structure can't? Notice I said structure, not weight.

IJS

Yet most important, we are happy, when "we" are happy. What you think is good may not be for someone else.
  • wbandel
    wbandel Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    My size 12 was NOT a 40 inch waist...it was smaller. The image that came to MY mind (since I sew) was fabric, measured and cut. If I'm wrong, sue me. But I'm pretty sure that proves the entire point of this thread: that "size" is not always an accurate indicator of one's true SIZE.

For kicks and giggles, I looked at some ladies clothing measurement charts and not one of them listed a size 12 as a 40 inch waist. The largest waist size I came across was 31.5 inches for a size 12.

Sooo...

I thought this too only...40" just doesn't seem like enough to make anything. That's just over a yard of fabric. Even with a 60" bolt of fabric, 40" wouldn't get you very much. Maybe if you were really short, but I can't see making myself a pair of jeans with that little.

white, 5'11" (and 3/4, but I round down), 199, 14? (I haven't boughten new pants since I dropped 48lbs)
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Crazy thread is crazy.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    That's about half as much as I need.
  • DiaryOfaThickFitWoman
    Options
    I see some people are taking this thread out of context and looking to argue points. I googled how many inches a size 12 was, maybe it was wrong- I can careless. That is not the point of thread. I know some of you ladies get it, and I hope I have inspired you in some way. Love yourself and don't get attached to a size or weight, find a place were your most comfortable in.

Also, just to add, a lot of the rift reef people have said out of negativity is just proving my point even more. Regardless, we are all different.

To the person who questioned my posing race, say what you want- different races to pose certain physical characteristics. I know my intent for proposing race, please don't try to make it out like I'm being bias or racist, not the case at all.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Crazy thread is crazy.

It reminds me of Home Ec class. I got a "B" in that. An "A" in cooking, and a "C" in sewing.
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Asian, 5'5", 175 lbs, size 8/10
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    40 inches of fabric around your waist is quite a lot seeing as how carrying weight around your waist means you're more at risk of heart disease/diabetes etc.
    We have an advert here that says if your waist measures more than 80cm for women (which is 32 inches) it is an indicator of internal fat deposits, which can coat the heart, kidneys, liver and pancreas, and increase the risk of chronic disease.

It IS important.

Actually for women, the important one is the hips to waist ratio... I have a lot more than 32 in of waist but my ratio is perfectly healthy as I do not carry my weight on the tummy area. Don't freak out people without research.....
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    My size 12 was NOT a 40 inch waist...it was smaller. The image that came to MY mind (since I sew) was fabric, measured and cut. If I'm wrong, sue me. But I'm pretty sure that proves the entire point of this thread: that "size" is not always an accurate indicator of one's true SIZE.

For kicks and giggles, I looked at some ladies clothing measurement charts and not one of them listed a size 12 as a 40 inch waist. The largest waist size I came across was 31.5 inches for a size 12.

Sooo...

I thought this too only...40" just doesn't seem like enough to make anything. That's just over a yard of fabric. Even with a 60" bolt of fabric, 40" wouldn't get you very much. Maybe if you were really short, but I can't see making myself a pair of jeans with that little.

white, 5'11" (and 3/4, but I round down), 199, 14? (I haven't boughten new pants since I dropped 48lbs)

One would have to be pretty precise with the cutting. LOL

Congrats on your weight loss! It might be time to go on a mini shopping spree!
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    White, 5'6" 227 size 18. ( and this thread just opened my eyes as to why I always wore a size smaller when I bought clothes in the US, everyone else here at my height/weight seems to be wearing a 16. Bad Bad Canadian sizes!!)
  • MissKalhan
    MissKalhan Posts: 2,282 Member
    Options
    White 5'7" 155 size 9(almost 8)
  • FluroFaye
    Options
    white 5'6 222 us size 14-16

Want to get down to about a US size 6-8
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I love your post!!

white, 5'6'', 187, waivering between a size 10-12.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    White 5'8" 129 lbs size 6 or 8
  • Parimositabloo
    Parimositabloo Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Absolutly true!!!

Latin, 23, 161 lbs, 5,3", size 12
  • DiaryOfaThickFitWoman
    Options
    40 inches of fabric around your waist is quite a lot seeing as how carrying weight around your waist means you're more at risk of heart disease/diabetes etc.
    We have an advert here that says if your waist measures more than 80cm for women (which is 32 inches) it is an indicator of internal fat deposits, which can coat the heart, kidneys, liver and pancreas, and increase the risk of chronic disease.

It IS important.

Actually for women, the important one is the hips to waist ratio... I have a lot more than 32 in of waist but my ratio is perfectly healthy as I do not carry my weight on the tummy area. Don't freak out people without research.....

I have seen thin people with large stomachs, some with larger tops period. So does that mean their healthy cause there thin or unhealthy cause the stomach is 40, or are they healthy cause their a size 4.......... Ijs, I agree its about proportions too!
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

It IS important.

It's a government campaign ergo a government sponsored advert. I'll wager they did their research. I understand you won't want to hear it when your waist is bigger than that, no one likes bad news.
  • DiaryOfaThickFitWoman
    Options
    White 5'8" 129 lbs size 6 or 8

I'm 5'5 1/2, at 176 I was in a loose 9

The comparisons are crazy! I'm 229.6 today, do you think I would need to lose 100 more pounds to get to a 6-8............I'm a 16 today..........nope.

Thanks for the measurements!
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options

It IS important.

The OP didn't say 40 inches of fabric around the waist. I'm pretty sure she meant total...or at least one complete garment (pants, shirt...whatev).

Size 12 is 40 inches waist...For God's sake, don't be so obtuse. Where do you think they're measuring???

Huh, and all this time I thought a size 12 was a 30-32 inch waist.... and that a 40 inch waist was a size 20. Where did I ever get a crazy idea like that? oh yeah every US size chart I've ever seen. But yeah, thanks for setting us all straight.
  • DiaryOfaThickFitWoman
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the measurements! I appreciate it!!!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!