Do You Feel Sale?

Options

Replies

• keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    I feel safe. I also carry a gun. We live in the mountains and my four-legged neighbors can be troublesome at times. Best to be prepared.

this is different they wont get your gun abd shoot you maybe racoons would

Raccoons are evil. And squirrels too, but they have much smaller hands.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I feel safe. I also carry a gun. We live in the mountains and my four-legged neighbors can be troublesome at times. Best to be prepared.

I love raccoons.
  • WeightWatcherCindy
    Options
    I live in a tiny town in Ohio . I feel relatively safe . I make sure all windows and doors are locked . I do take walks and I'm not fearful . But let me tell you violence and crime can happen anywhere . I do not take my or my families safety for granit . It's a scary world we live in folks . Keep your heads up and keep aware of your surroundings . Teach your children to be safe . I don't think I could ever live in a big city . I feel the way I do living in a small rural town in Ohio .
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options

Raccoons are nature's bandits. That's why they wear those masks...
  • xSakura
    xSakura Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Brits love their short-sighted self-righteousness, don't they?

Less of the judging, please... I don't see any Brits on here judging Americans or whatnot.

No judging so much as a plain observation. You need to read previous posts by the UK residents on this thread. "It is nuts" said in reference to US gun laws, for example.

But what you said felt like it was aimed at all of us Brits. "it is nuts" was aimed at the law, not the citizens. We're not all bad, just like you're not all bad, is what I'm saying.

Anyone can get hold of a gun, law or no law.. Not just Americans. It happens in every country, more so in the US for obvious reasons, being a bigger country..
  • keith0373
    Options

I love raccoons.

It is ok to love evil if the evil is cute. My cat is trying to bite my hand as we speak. It is his indication that he wants to be petted.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    I feel safe at home or at work. I enjoy the people I am around, even those that are just passing through the area. That being said, bad things can happen anywhere and sometimes do. Feeling safe does not give you license to be unaware of possible problems. Being aware no matter where you are or what you are doing danger comes in many flavors not just people, but nature, and mechanical.
  • Sweetsugar0424
    Sweetsugar0424 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I live in Winnipeg, MB Canada and I would say I feel safe in my neighbourhood. Being a woman I don't think I would feel safe at night no matter where I lived so I won't go out walking at night by myself.

I agree that things have happened in the past like now, but we didn't have this information highway at our fingertips before. But I also feel that the US is way too gun-friendly which makes it a lot easier for these situations to occur. It's truly heartbreaking that these things keep happening.
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I live in Independence, MO USA

I usually feel safe unless something happens. For example...I worked in a bank in Lansing, Michigan when I was younger and the one next door got robbed.

I lived and worked here in Independence, MO several years ago at a hotel. It was robbed shortly after I quit.

I lived and worked in Raytown, MO and the video store I worked at was robbed but I wasn't working that night. I thought about it before I took the job and thought nobody would ever try it since there was a busy taco bell drive through in the shared parking lot. Guess I was wrong.

I live here in Independence, MO and work here again, at the mall where a gunfight broke out earlier this year. As we hid in the stockroom and shortly after we were released, I thought it was a "shooter", as in people were being picked off, not a "shooting", as in a person was shot. As I left the store with a friend a man reached into his jacket and I jumped a mile. The halls felt eerie. I still jump at work when I hear a balloon pop or someone scream in the hallway.

The closer to home things hit, the more aware you are.

Bad stuff happens everywhere, I feel a lot safer here than I did in my old neighborhood but there will be problems just about anywhere you live and work. There are always risks and people who do bad things.
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I live in Toronto and I walk/bus home at 4-6 AM which could be dangerous but I feel safe. I guess others could feel in danger. I'm usually with my boyfriend but sometimes I go clubbing by myself.
  • mikey1976
    mikey1976 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    to add its not attacking america like said befor it just seem you all are too gun happy in wake of what happened today he took the guns from his law abiding family then that mall shooting he stole the gun probaly by another law abiding person. i bet buying a gun is easy out there just like drugs. it just to easy
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I live in the Uk.
    Things like your school shootings rarely, if ever happen here, since gun laws are so much stricted. Most people don't own guns. It just isn't a done thing. I sure have never owned a gun or even held one, and would never, ever wish to.
    I don't feel, therefore, at risk of being shot, but there are a lot of drug and alcohol addicts around on our streets, and a lot of them have violent tendencies, so that is always a concern for me. I am glad to not live in a place where just about anyone is allowed to own a gun. It is nuts.

The crime rate in the UK is higher than in the U.S., rapes, aggravated assault (using a weapon), strong arm robbery, gang attacks, harassment, etc.

A fire arm is an equalizer. It allows the physically weak to protect themselves.
  • I live in the Uk.
    Things like your school shootings rarely, if ever happen here, since gun laws are so much stricted. Most people don't own guns. It just isn't a done thing. I sure have never owned a gun or even held one, and would never, ever wish to.
    I don't feel, therefore, at risk of being shot, but there are a lot of drug and alcohol addicts around on our streets, and a lot of them have violent tendencies, so that is always a concern for me. I am glad to not live in a place where just about anyone is allowed to own a gun. It is nuts.

The crime rate in the UK is higher than in the U.S., rapes, aggravated assault (using a weapon), strong arm robbery, gang attacks, harassment, etc.

A fire arm is an equalizer. It allows the physically weak to protect themselves.

I'd like to see figures please.

I live in Australia. Do I feel safe? Yes. Do I think we should have relaxed gun laws? No. Make it harder for these people to access guns. It's not rocket science.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I live about 1/2hr from Newtown, Ct (in a much less-nice town in CT). Years ago, I was held captive, tortured and raped in my home. There are limits to how safe I will ever feel. That said, I would feel safer in Newtown, CT than in my community. It's an upscale community near where the wealthiest 1% of America live. Today's events were tragic and unfathomable, and it's a reminder that we are not in control. It's very natural to want to try to reclaim that somehow-to try to make sense of things and try to assure ourselves that it somehow could have been prevented. Random violence happens everywhere. I go about my life and take precautions I can, but given my experience, I doubt I will ever feel safe.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I live in the Uk.

I live in Australia. Do I feel safe? Yes. Do I think we should have relaxed gun laws? No. Make it harder for these people to access guns. It's not rocket science.

Sorry, but you will have to do your own research; and remember, when seconds count, the police are just 15 minutes away.

btw My friends from Oz disagree with your opinion.
  • keith0373
    Options
    to add its not attacking america like said befor it just seem you all are too gun happy in wake of what happened today he took the guns from his law abiding family then that mall shooting he stole the gun probaly by another law abiding person. i bet buying a gun is easy out there just like drugs. it just to easy

It is easy. The problem is that the cat is out of the bag. If they made it illegal to own guns, most law abiding citizens would turn in their guns and only the criminals would have them. Events like today show that you simply cannot let the police be your protection and that part is also good here. It didn't take 90 minutes for response like it did in Norway, but it took entirely too long. There should be an armed officer in EVERY school. That will do a hell of alot more good than sitting by the side of the road and passing out speeding tickets that, in no way, deter speeding.

We don't do a good job of keeping even legal guns out of the hands of people that have a propensity for violence. Our legal system is too insistent on second chances. I am a gun guy, a ccp holder, and a hunter, but I think the NRA goes too far. They are far too fond of their intellectually dishonest "slippery slope" arguments.

I don't know where the balance is, but I do know that, in hindsight, the Ft. Hood, Aurora, and Virgina Tech incidents all had warning signs in front of proper authorities that ignored the signs.

I do think that if you are treated for mental illness, that there should be a review of whether you should be allowed to own. I also understand that this may prevent some people from seeking treatment, so that is not an easy answer either.

Added to all of that, it is a wedge issue in the US that politicians would rather exploit for votes than work to fix. Their first job is to get reelected and there is alot of demonization of people and the issue on both sides. We would all be better off without the guns and abortion arguments in politics.
  • I live in the Uk.

Sorry, but you will have to do your own research; and remember, when seconds count, the police are just 15 minutes away.

btw My friends from Oz disagree with your opinion.

http://www.numbeo.com/crime/rankings_by_country.jsp

Well, there's the US right up there.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2012/jul/22/gun-homicides-ownership-world-list

And if you read this interesting article.

There is a obviously some sort of connection between gun ownership and gun crimes.
  • keith0373
    Options
    misskitty- 6 million Jews and 20 million Russians disagree with your numbers on Germany . . . just sayin'.

But in all seriousness, it does not include total homicide rate. People who want to kill will find a way.

It is a good spreadsheet. And we agree that it is a problem. It is just not a solvable problem.
  • misskitty- 6 million Jews and 20 million Russians disagree with your numbers on Germany . . . just sayin'.

2012 figures...
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options

I would argue that it is not easy. One of my college roommates got a misdemeanor ticket for drinking alcohol underage and was told that she would have to wait five years before she could even think about applying for a gun license.

Even if you are eligible, you have to go through background checks and waiting periods. Then when you do finally get approved, you cannot carry in very many places.

Ironically, schools are one of the places you are not allowed to carry. Notice how much attention a criminal intent on murder paid to that law.

But it's interesting that you'd bring up buying drugs. Heroin is 100% illegal and yeah, it is easy to get if you want it badly enough. Just like guns would be if they were banned. Once again, laws aren't stopping people from obtaining illegal items and doing bad things with them.