Why do people lose weight for the wrong reasons?

Options
15678911»

Replies

• MorbidMander
    MorbidMander Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about those people who think they need to drop pounds just to fit in a smaller sized wedding dress or they do it for anybody other than themselves. Seems stupid and self-defeating, you should lose weight just for yourself and to make a lifestyle change. Thoughts?

My first thought that came to mind is it's probably none of your concern to be judging people for losing weight for the "wrong" reasons. I mean, this is a website to help one another with their individual journeys and yet I constantly see these judgmental threads. Unless someone is anorexic or has some other kind of eating-disorder, there is no "wrong" reason to lose weight. Everyone has a vain and shallow side to them, even you I'm sure, and that is ok to a certain extent because it makes them get their *kitten* up off the couch and do something good for their health. Just.. stop nitpicking on people because they're not losing weight for the reasons *you* think are valid and good ffs.
  • NureeniWright
    Options
    Don't get me wrong, I want to look good naked and have hot crazy monkey sex, too. BUT it's not my primary motivation to lose weight. The main goal is to be healthier and commit to a lifestyle change. I couldn't give a #$)# about anything else.

I won't lie, looking better naked is my primary focus when I hit the gym, or pass on the donuts or have one drink instead of 12. I know that as I get closer to THAT goal, that the others will happen as well. That's why I lift and do cardio as well as pass on the yummies. But I'm vain, I want to look in the mirror and like what I see. Doesn't mean I'm aiming for 10% body fat, or a six pack (though that would be nice). But to be comfortable in my own skin. And vanity doesn't have to be a bad thing.

I think I love you =D
  • ettennette
    Options
    yes you're right!
  • LMick1986
    Options
    They do that to have a goal...or for motivation.
    A lot of people don't care enough about themselves or about their health to do it for them.
    Its not wrong...its just not as effective in the long run.

You know what....this is a good point. It can give them a short term goal to achieve. If you look at your weight loss in terms of "I don't want to have diabetes" or "I want to live a long life for my children", you can't really say you've "reached" that goal. Whereas, if you say "I want to be a size 8 in my wedding dress" or "I want to wear a size small bikini"....those are goals you KNOW you can and will reach. Does that make sense? None of it is a wrong reason....but some are more concrete for people. If that's what helps people, let them do it and be supportive of it.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    As far as I can tell, overweight or unhealthy people losing weight by eating healthier and exercising more is a good thing, no matter the reason.
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    My reasons for wanting to lose weight are my own and frankly how is it any of your business why someone wants to lose weight?
    It is people who feel so utterly sh!tty about themselves that find the need to find fault with what strangers are doing. Why don't you worry about yourself and leave others be. I would LOVE to see what your reaction would be to somebody questioning you about anything in your life. Move on with your own life.