How much $$$$ have you saved by dieting

Options

Replies

• carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Money saved? Zip! Zero! Zilch! Any money I would have saved from eating out less and portion control has gone to gym membership, personal training, better foods, and a whole new wardrobe. Money well spent because I feel great!
  • bexxxster
    bexxxster Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I've ended up spending a hell of a lot more.. my shoppings tripled in price nearly! Fruit and veg and meat for a family of 4 is so expensive :(
  • keelz2010
    Options
    I spend way more now especially as I have to factor in the costs of not only buying better quality but also being on a gluten and dairy free diet costs a fortune. I'm not coeliac but the intolerance to both the gluten and dairy are bad enough to need to change. Feeling a lot better for it but my bank account doesn't like it, especially on a very restricted income. I'm doing it for my health, extra years and good health is definitely worth it!
    I think you can get Gluten free products on prescription, it might save you a little bit
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I spend more money eating healthy then I ever did eating junk food.
    Here too. Lean meat is more expensive, Organic food is way way more expensive, I don't eat out as much but there is no savings.

Where I saved is by quitting smoking. That's about $80 at the end of the month.
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Here too. Lean meat is more expensive, Organic food is way way more expensive, I don't eat out as much but there is no savings.

Where I saved is by quitting smoking. That's about $80 at the end of the week.

Yes no smoking and barley drinking does even things out a bit
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    It has been a bit more expensive.
  • SeaJenni
    SeaJenni Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    It has been more expensive to eat healthy.
  • Momwasix
    Momwasix Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    i get fd stamps so food wise spending as been the same but i spend more out of pocket on exercise videos. So i go to ebay or Amazon is save money.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options

Where I saved is by quitting smoking. That's about $80 at the end of the week.

Yes no smoking and barley drinking does even things out a bit
    I mean month not week. Carbs are cheap. And though I don't avoid carbs I eat a measured portion. Veg replacement is pricey. For example if I replace spaghetti with a spaghetti squash, the difference is $1 to $5.
  • LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Saved?

Alternate or healthier options are expensive... and my portions are smaller... it's more even or maybe even got a lil over my usual expenses...
  • sheppeyescapee
    sheppeyescapee Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I spend way more now especially as I have to factor in the costs of not only buying better quality but also being on a gluten and dairy free diet costs a fortune. I'm not coeliac but the intolerance to both the gluten and dairy are bad enough to need to change. Feeling a lot better for it but my bank account doesn't like it, especially on a very restricted income. I'm doing it for my health, extra years and good health is definitely worth it!
    I think you can get Gluten free products on prescription, it might save you a little bit

I was told that was only the case if you are coeliac :(
  • SaffSaad
    Options

This
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Never tracked in the past, but I spend about $200 a month on food. That ranges from chicken breast to pop-tarts.
  • janten
    janten Posts: 64
    Options
    Eating healthy is rather expensive..actually spending more money by eating healthier, but it's all worth it in the end.
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    I'm also a sucker for a good steak! Filet Mignon or NY strip .... yeah that can add up ! about 12$/lb. where I am
  • Elma1975
    Options
    Where I live it´s more expensive to eat healthy than unhealthy so I haven´t saved + to buy new clothes is very very expensive.
  • Dragonldy69
    Dragonldy69 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Ditto ..It has cost me more trying to diet than it did when I just eat regular.. I haven't lost weight for the past month or so..I have been eatting good and drinking water.. So I a going to try some different things after the beginning of the New Year
  • SimonIsChanging
    SimonIsChanging Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Saved absolutely nothing haha! Eating right is an expensive lifestyle, not complaining :)
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I definitely spend more, even though I eat far less, but I think it has more to do with having 19 and 12 year old boys than anything else....lol. If it were just me by myself I would probably barely spend anything on food, I hate having it in the house, because I am afraid I will eat it...
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Saved nothing, but have taught both kids to eat healthy and be conscious of what is actually in the food they eat. They are now much better at it than I am, and they also track down cheap healthy options with more skill than I do - being students they can teach me a lot about eating healthy on a low budget.

I consider that a huge win, and something I would not have given them if I hadn't started reading labels 15 years ago, to avoid stupid options. They both do it regularly, checking the contents of all pre-packaged food, and then they go home and research how they can make spice-mixes and sauces from healthier and often cheaper alternatives. They also challenge me to dig out that old knowledge about things like how to cook a cow's tongue or make fish-cakes from uncommon types of fish, things my mother knew and I didn't really remember that I learned.