bullies...

Options

Replies

• neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    So tell me... what is the pay-off for the pain? I don't like pain and so far I have not found the benefit to the suffering. I just am in pain. I have strength and stamina but pain means injury for me. Why should I keep doing what hurts?

Not talking about real pain. It's more a pain that says, "this is hard. I want to stop now." That's not real pain because you can usually push through it.

If you get real pain, like sharp pains, or things really do hurt, that's different and you should stop.

Sorry, I don't know how else to describe it. It's like the difference between a small child that is whining abotu something, and a child that is actually crying in pain. They are different things, and all parents know the difference in their kids cries. It's the same thing in your body. There's whining, and there's real pain. Ignore the whining.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Revenge for what?
  • pithynutritionpun
    pithynutritionpun Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    So well said. Pain or tiredness are readily challengeable by the mind, so long as the person is willing to rise to the challenge. A kick in the rear to do it anyway, even if it hurts, even if you're tired, is always very well placed. The test of whether a person is ready to change is whether they will stand up and push through it, or whether they go looking for other answers and coddling.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    So tell me... what is the pay-off for the pain? I don't like pain and so far I have not found the benefit to the suffering. I just am in pain. I have strength and stamina but pain means injury for me. Why should I keep doing what hurts?

Not talking about real pain. It's more a pain that says, "this is hard. I want to stop now." That's not real pain because you can usually push through it.

If you get real pain, like sharp pains, or things really do hurt, that's different and you should stop.

Sorry, I don't know how else to describe it. It's like the difference between a small child that is whining abotu something, and a child that is actually crying in pain. They are different things, and all parents know the difference in their kids cries. It's the same thing in your body. There's whining, and there's real pain. Ignore the whining.
  • Constant_Nova
    Constant_Nova Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I guess maybe it depends on the person? a person who is looking to have someone hold their hand would be offended if they got "motivational bullying" from someone who told them to suck it up. Someone who is looking for some tough love would find that if they got advice from someone who is a personal cheerleader, it might be a waste of time. Maybe if it were tailored? based on the persons personality it might not seem as though they are being bullied?
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I really like the way you put this!!!

I completely agree with (and identify in other aspects of my life) the whole having to be your own hardass, and appreciate how sometimes someone else being that hardass can be beneficial. However, I think that really only works when the person who's handing you your rear is someone who means something to you, who you respect. Like, say, a loved one.

The approach I prefer to to take when I have a criticism, suggestion or think i have an answer/opinion, is a constructive one. I try to do so in a way as to facilitate an openess to what I'm saying. If I turn you off and you tune me out, I've just wasted my time, which I find frustrating.
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Love ur post, girly...

I too, get myself motivated to going...and totally, start whining & groaning in my head....saying why am I doing this, lets slow down...then I get a quick dose of..."what the heck is wrong with me" and go harder..and in the end...I'm happy with my exhaustion and I made it through...but to me it's a nonstop occurrence almost every time...lucky for me, I have awesome friends on & offline...otherwise I'd probably fall hard at times..
  • DoriGaga
    Options

Depends on the pain really. If you are injured or getting injured, then you should do something about that, rest, heal, etc. You don't want to hurt yourself, there is no benefit in that.

But working out can be painful. When I run on the treadmill, my lungs hurt, sometimes even in my throat, my legs hurt (from lactic acid, that nasty burning sensation that everyone hates!)... but the pay off is next time I run, I can go longer and faster before the pain starts.... and one day the pay off will be running 5k, 10k, who knows maybe even a 26.2 marathon... and when that day comes, I will look back, and I'm not going to remember the pain, I'll remember the pay off.

Along the same lines, strength building exercise hurts. It's supposed to hurt, if it doesn't hurt, it's not working. The way I learned to lift 10 years ago is the method I stuck with: lift until your muscle fails (ie the rep when you try and literally you can not physically do it), yes it hurts, and yes it continues to hurt the next day, but that's how it works. Muscle grows bigger when you cause microscopic tears in the muscle fibers, and your body is forced to create new muscle fiber to "patch" the tears, and then your muscle grows. It hurts, but the pay off is I get stronger. So it's worth it.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Love this.

And it's damn true. The only reason I succeeded is because I pushed myself beyond the whining and the excuses and the blame.

It wasn't a crappy metabolism. It wasn't my age. It wasn't my birth control or antidepressant. It wasn't that wasn't capable. It wasn't the donuts my boss brought into work. It wasn't genetics. It wasn't lack of support. It wasn't anyone offering me a cupcake or a glass of wine or a plate of brownies.

It was me. It was my habits that got me where I was and changing those habits was the only thing that got me where I am.

It wasn't easy. It wasn't comfortable. But it was so, so worth it.
  • wisebadger53
    wisebadger53 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I love this post! Yes, many of us have been there time and time again. If we keep saying "I can't do it", we won't...but tell yourself "I CAN DO THIS", and see what happens. Sometimes you can even be impressed by your own awesomeness! :drinker:
  • artickb22
    artickb22 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Hell yes! Use it as motivation or humor...I've gotten many a kicks out of "negative" responses.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    Very thoughtful and well put.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    When I went to college to become a dancer I had an observation.

A lot of people were over confident and showed up thinking they were advanced dancers and already knew everything, that they were so good they could change the whole dance department to be exactly like them. They didn't like getting put in the "beginner" class because all freshman got put in the beginner class. When they showed their choreography the teachers were harsh and would knock them down a few pegs and people would say that the toughest teachers just didn't like any of the dance the students did. And the students that were able to make it through the dance department eventually ended up being thankful that the teachers had been so tough on them (others transferred out to a school they preferred or they didn't major in dance).

I was coming from a very different place. I did not have a lot of confidence (I knew I had talent and passion, but I also knew that I needed to learn to utilize it in the best ways). I did see myself as a beginner. And I knew I had a lot to learn and I wanted to learn. The beginner label didn't bother me, it was the normal starting place. The teachers never knocked me down because I was open to feedback and learning. I didn't need to waste my time with that process. I showed my choreography, I got feedback, then I went back and worked on it some more. I asked questions. The teachers wanted to work with me and I enjoyed working with them and gained a lot from it. And the "toughest" teacher said something that always stuck with me she told me that as a dancer I should always "check people's references" before giving any value to their opinion on my dancing. Don't give any weight to the opinion of any random person that is uneducated and inexperienced and has no success as a dancer or an artist (or a person that just likes to drag others down because they are not happy or successful or people that are afraid to be creative and try new things). Don't ever let people like that influence the choices I make in my dancing or how I feel about my own work. Instead listen to the people who have good references to back their opinions up.

I'm not sure I relate to the need for motivation from other people because I don't need other people to motivate me. My motivation is my own and always has been. I'm not sure if this story related to any of this, but I guess it's just an observation about people and how different people work. Some people don't benefit from people being tough with them, but I guess those people don't behave in a way that makes toughness be what is given because they are already tough on themselves and are open to learning and growing. This isn't to say I haven't had life experiences that caused me to stumble along the way. I have. But, I have always taken responsibility for myself and never expected anyone to give me something that I didn't earn.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    And the "toughest" teacher said something that always stuck with me she told me that as a dancer I should always "check people's references" before giving any value to their opinion on my dancing.

That's brilliant, and reminds me of how my Mom used to always say, "Consider the source." I was picked on in school because I was skinny, nerdy, poor, dressed funny and had thick glasses and crooked teeth. But the people who picked on me were mean and nasty. Why should I care what a mean, nasty person thinks? I didn't want to be friends with someone like that.

Someone says something you think is mean? So what? Why do you care what a random stranger on the internet says? Why value their opinion?
  • Rum_Runner
    Rum_Runner Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I guess maybe it depends on the person? a person who is looking to have someone hold their hand would be offended if they got "motivational bullying" from someone who told them to suck it up. Someone who is looking for some tough love would find that if they got advice from someone who is a personal cheerleader, it might be a waste of time. Maybe if it were tailored? based on the persons personality it might not seem as though they are being bullied?

Thats the purpose of getting like minded friends. Your friends should have similar goals and have similar attitude. My FL is kick *kitten* bunch of girls/guys who know me well enough to cheer me up on a bad day or tell me to suck it up when I'm being whiney. They push me and challenge me beyond what I *think* I can do.

But if you're going to post in the open forum be ready for all types of motivational responses. Many may not be what the OP wants to hear - but that is the risk one takes by posting for all to see!! If you don't want that type of response....keep your issues to your wall and let your friends coddle you.
  • Jim1960
    Jim1960 Posts: 194
    Options
    To the OP people come from all sorts of different places and their goals are different too. What may motivate one person may totally destroy another. One person may want that hard body, another just wants to be more healthy. The only thing I would suggest is to answer in kind with the nature of the post you're replying to. For myself, the rare kick-in-the-pants from a friend might be useful. But generally not. I'm not trying to win or take it to the next level. That whole paradigm is wrong for me. For me I need to change my entire attitude about food, change my habits and so forth.

I was a bit of an athlete when I was younger, and I totally get the nature of pushing yourself to get over the hurdles. Of taking things to the next level. But that really doesn't apply in my case with regards to my diet. It really doesn't. And because of that, the harsh - "stop your whining and get up and do it" approach just doesn't do anything for me except make me want to ignore you. My determination comes from a different place. My success, such as there is, isn't coming from overcoming obstacles as much as it is being consistent. Now, if you were with me and I was drooling over that bit of chocolate cake and complaining about how "I can't ever eat that again" - then sure; tell me to quit my whining and skip the cake. But otherwise, for me, please don't.
  • sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    I think there's a difference between calling someone a "fatass whale who can't do anything right much less get their life under control", and telling someone to "get off their *kitten* and finish their daily exercise goal for the day, it doesn't matter if you feel like you're going to hurl you can effing do it now DO IT".

I think so long as you're being constructive and you're not hurling insults, you're A-OK in my book.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    And the "toughest" teacher said something that always stuck with me she told me that as a dancer I should always "check people's references" before giving any value to their opinion on my dancing.

That's brilliant, and reminds me of how my Mom used to always say, "Consider the source." I was picked on in school because I was skinny, nerdy, poor, dressed funny and had thick glasses and crooked teeth. But the people who picked on me were mean and nasty. Why should I care what a mean, nasty person thinks? I didn't want to be friends with someone like that.

Someone says something you think is mean? So what? Why do you care what a random stranger on the internet says? Why value their opinion?

:smile:
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    When I went to college to become a dancer I had an observation.

A lot of people were over confident and showed up thinking they were advanced dancers and already knew everything, that they were so good they could change the whole dance department to be exactly like them. They didn't like getting put in the "beginner" class because all freshman got put in the beginner class. When they showed their choreography the teachers were harsh and would knock them down a few pegs and people would say that the toughest teachers just didn't like any of the dance the students did. And the students that were able to make it through the dance department eventually ended up being thankful that the teachers had been so tough on them (others transferred out to a school they preferred or they didn't major in dance).

I was coming from a very different place. I did not have a lot of confidence (I knew I had talent and passion, but I also knew that I needed to learn to utilize it in the best ways). I did see myself as a beginner. And I knew I had a lot to learn and I wanted to learn. The beginner label didn't bother me, it was the normal starting place. The teachers never knocked me down because I was open to feedback and learning. I didn't need to waste my time with that process. I showed my choreography, I got feedback, then I went back and worked on it some more. I asked questions. The teachers wanted to work with me and I enjoyed working with them and gained a lot from it. And the "toughest" teacher said something that always stuck with me she told me that as a dancer I should always "check people's references" before giving any value to their opinion on my dancing. Don't give any weight to the opinion of any random person that is uneducated and inexperienced and has no success as a dancer or an artist (or a person that just likes to drag others down because they are not happy or successful or people that are afraid to be creative and try new things). Don't ever let people like that influence the choices I make in my dancing or how I feel about my own work. Instead listen to the people who have good references to back their opinions up.

I'm not sure I relate to the need for motivation from other people because I don't need other people to motivate me. My motivation is my own and always has been. I'm not sure if this story related to any of this, but I guess it's just an observation about people and how different people work. Some people don't benefit from people being tough with them, but I guess those people don't behave in a way that makes toughness be what is given because they are already tough on themselves and are open to learning and growing. This isn't to say I haven't had life experiences that caused me to stumble along the way. I have. But, I have always taken responsibility for myself and never expected anyone to give me something that I didn't earn.
    Bravo darling!
  • Rum_Runner
    Rum_Runner Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I love this post! Yes, many of us have been there time and time again. If we keep saying "I can't do it", we won't...but tell yourself "I CAN DO THIS", and see what happens. Sometimes you can even be impressed by your own awesomeness! :drinker:

"If you think you can or you think you can not....you're right" ~Henry Ford