GYM??? OR NOT???

Options

Replies

• Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I worked out at home for 10 months doing cardio and strength training. I lost 95lbs doing this. 7 weeks ago I joined the gym. I was ready for the next step and it's nice to be out of the house and have access to trainers and equipment.

As everyone says, set a goal and do what you need to do to attain it.
  • rcthale
    rcthale Posts: 141
    Options
    I work out at home because I'm too shy for the show-off environment of the gym. But, you have to either get the equipment you need or improvise. I bought a huge set of weight plates and bars on Craigslist from an old guy who had decided to stop lifting. Maybe you can find luck on Craigslist also.
  • Thickchicapes40
    Thickchicapes40 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Whatever works best for you hun. I have done the working out at home for a very long time. i use my wii workout games alot, they do help. I have done 30 ds off and on. and recently my mom and i joined an all ladies gym and its been very helpful. I find it being more effective. If and when you decide to join a gym, make sure they can give you some tips if you need them. My gym has free trainers, which is very helpful. When im feeling like its not working, I talk to them and they change it up for me. :) But overall its what works best for you with your schedule, and money wise. :)
  • Yaya1976
    Yaya1976 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're pretty active from home. I go to the gym because paying for it, makes me really want to go. If I just do it from home, I become a bit lazy. I love the gym, but I have some days when I just can't get there. I just started lifting. I do it every other day and I LOVE doing it from home. I concentrate better and I feel more relaxed and comfortable.

To each their own. Whatever works for YOU :)

23087067.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • 1lexisva
    1lexisva Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I work out at home because I'm too shy for the show-off environment of the gym. But, you have to either get the equipment you need or improvise. I bought a huge set of weight plates and bars on Craigslist from an old guy who had decided to stop lifting. Maybe you can find luck on Craigslist also.

I am shy too lol I might try Craigslists thanks!!!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options

That's really not that far. My gym is about 20 minutes from my house. Then again I live in an area where everything is around 30-60+ minutes away so I'm used to having to drive places but 30 minutes is nothing.

An hour round trip to get to the gym and back? Total waste of time for me if I can do the same workout at home in that hour. Like others have said, youtube, netflix, DVDs and a couple sets of hand weights will give you a great workout.

Would an hour round trip to the grocery store be a waste of time? To the gas station, Wal-mart, drug store, your parents house. . . . I live in an area where a trip to the grocery store -- to get there, shop and come back -- can take two hours. Most of my errands that I do on the weekend take me a better portion of the day. I live 30-60 minutes away from everything so for me a 20 minute drive to the gym isn't that long. Also when I go to the gym I consolidate the majority of my errands as well so I don't have to go back out later in the day if I can avoid it.

If I balked at having to actually drive some where -- a gym especially -- then I'd never leave the house! If it's worth it for someone who wants to lift weights and not spend a ton of money on a really good home gym then an hour round trip to the gym is nothing.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    The simpliest answer is "Whatever works for you". If you enjoy working out at home, are seeing results, and it's something you can stick to, then it looks as though that may be the ticket for you.

^^^ This!

You need to find something you like to do, or you're not going to want to do it. it's as simple as that. I personally didn't like the gym, but I found I can't do anything else at the gym but work out. I now look forward to going. I you can manage your time to fit it in at home and are losing weight like that, congrats!
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    run outside for cardio, throw sandbags inside for resistance ;)

do what you enjoy, just make sure you do ;)

this definiely, loads more fun than sitting in a gym shoving iron!
    edit: in my opinion
  • meghannrenee
    meghannrenee Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Do what makes you happy and what you'll stick with! I exercised at home with DVDs for years, and I only belong to a gym now because I like attending a few of the classes - most of my workouts are still done in my living room using DVDs or running outside.
  • 1lexisva
    Options
    Thank you all :)
  • Rum_Runner
    Rum_Runner Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    <<
    doesn't go to the gym!

Do what you can when you can!! :wink:
  • gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options
    The simpliest answer is "Whatever works for you". If you enjoy working out at home, are seeing results, and it's something you can stick to, then it looks as though that may be the ticket for you.

Thanks...I don't have any equipment I might look into light weights but other than that I don't have an elliptical or arc machine at home lol

I prefer working out at home too and have been doing it for going on 11 years now, using workout DVDs for cardio, strength, and yoga. I recommend getting a set of adjustable dumbbells if your budget permits. I have the PowerBlock Sportblock set which starts as low as 3lbs and goes up to 24lbs. Adjustable dumbbells save you money in the long run. I love mine and wish I'd bought them sooner.
  • 1lexisva
    Options
  • VastBreak
    VastBreak Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    At home I really like using a resistance band (less than $10) and I just started with a kettlebell (around $20) and love using them to increase my strength along with dvds!
  • jessdani_333
    Options
    I think you should do what's best for you. Gyms can be expensive and also intimidating, so working out in the comfort of your own home is often preferred. I use Dailyburn.com, that offers different videos everyday and different programs to join, or pick whatever you want to do that day. It is a membership site, but if you sign up for a year in advance it's only $60, and it's quite good. They just added a bunch of programs and I know they're adding more soon. They have recommended equipment, but usually there's a modifier who shows you how to do it without the equipment. It also tracks how many calories you burn during the workout, which is really nice, especially if you're also using a site like MFP.
    Hope this helps!
  • 1lexisva
    Options
    Thank you :)
  • threeohtwo
    threeohtwo Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you - what keeps you motivated. What you ENJOY!
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you. YouTube is a great place to find workout videos.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of going to the gym at all. I prefer at home workout DVDs. I don't have to drive anywhere, I have all my equipment at home (free weights and a mat), no membership fee, and I can go straight to my tub afterwards.
  • brittrose33
    Options
    I personally can't do cardio at a gym. Don't ask me why, I just hate working out around other people. I will eventually join a gym because I discovered that I LOVE lifting, and will need a gym at some point. I'm just not there quite yet :smile: .

When I started my weight loss journey, I used 5 and 10 pound dumbbells, work out at home videos, and the road (I am lucky enough that my parents have a treadmill at their place, but I prefer running outdoors!). I also have a pull up bar, although I can't quite...yet. You can search around these forums for some great (and cheap!) work out videos, Jillian Micheals is a frequent name and I like her style of work out - only 10 bucks at Walmart, or free on youtube! Once you get more serious or want to drop some money, other names such as Turbofire, PX90 and Insanity rear their heads. If you research and get some personal opinions and reviews, I'm sure you will find something you love and will stick to. To be fair, I'm pretty sure you can find most of those work outs on youtube as well. :tongue:

I recently bought a set of weights and it was the best purchase ever! Each bar weighs 5 pounds, and you can add weights up to 25 pounds for each arm. It was a tad pricey (around 90, after taxes, Canadian), but very nice and it's great being able to switch up my weights when I do different work outs.

I get bored very easily so I mix up my running/weights routine with lots of yoga (LOVE), bits of different work out videos, pilates (meh), zumba with a couple friends (not a huge fan), and the occasional stroll outside. All things I don't need a gym for, thanks to youtube and at home videos! I think all that really matters is that you pick something you love and will actually do. If the gym makes you feel weird, you probably won't go. However, if you like the environment, you probably will. :happy:

Good luck!