Tell me again why I should NOT have gastric bypass surgery

Options

Replies

• Angie_1991
    Angie_1991 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Don't do it.........you can do this without that..........look at the people on here and see their success stories....if they can do it, you can.
  • REDI4CHANGE60
    Options
    Opinions are like *kitten*; everyone has one. They don't matter. What matters is what YOU want, and what you and your doctors think is the right thing for you.

There are pros and cons to everything we do in life.

For myself, I had lap band surgery last December, and, FOR ME, it was the best decision I ever made. It is a tool that I am using to help me make the internal changes that I need to make, nothing more. NOT an easy way out, NOT a quick fix or even a solution, it is a tool that *I* have to choose to use correctly, or not, and I will not allow anyone else to try and guilt me into feeling like I am less than because I needed this type of help to finally change what I needed to change all along.

Congratulations on your success! I am so happy your TOOL of choice is working with your determination to lose the weight!! Unless it were life and death, I would never give up my WLS gastric bypass RNY TOOL. (And no, since I keep up my labs - like I was told to do - I know my iron, B's and various other things you are WARNED about prior to surgery, are kept in line and I am healthy, happy and again losing weight.)
  • technogal63
    Options
    Remember that you will see more of the horror stories of gastric bypass surgeries posted online than success stories. It's only natural that people who have had a bad experience or complications will want to talk about it or ask questions. There are far more success stories out there than people realize - but those folks are busy losing weight and living their lives, no motivation to post about them.

I had RNY gastric bypass 5.5 mths ago and would do it again in a heartbeat - I'm already so much healthier after being severely overweight for most of my 49 years. Yes, I tried every diet in the book, therapy, nutritionists, etc. and would lose and regain the same 100lbs so many times I've lost count. I believe this is the tool I need to succeed long term and I am not ashamed of that. I have modified my lifestyle, exercise, and stay on my plan. For those who ask why I couldn't do that in past - I will answer that I did - each and every time I dieted, but I couldn't maintain it. All the surgery is doing is giving me a fighting chance now.

My husband had the same surgery 3 yrs ago and lost over 200lbs - he no longer has diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, edema in his legs, back pain, or sleep apnea. He has kept the weight off and is a far happier person. We are committed to leading a healthier lifestyle and are in this for the long haul. WLS helped, but is truly just a tool.

Make up your own mind regarding whether to have surgery or not - get as much information as possible. This will always be a controversial topic but remember that only your opinion really matters.
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Its been something that I keep coming back to when I fail to do well with changing my behaviors in relation to food and losing weight.
    But I am healthy - no co-morbidities Yet. My only problem... BMI of 56... yikes.

I don't say this to scare you. My step sister was morbidly obese...very badly. She had the surgery and now, 3 years later after losing over 400 lbs...she has gained it all back and now has a bad heart and diabietes. She is not well at all. I suggest trying dieting first and surgery LAST.
  • michellechris12
    Options
    HI,

My name is Michelle, I too struggled every day with gastric by pass, only because I wanted to loose the weight so bad. I too did not have high blood pressure, diabetes, or any bad disease due to my obesity. I went to my doctor crying and she did do me up a letter stating that I needed the bypass, however to my surprise the wait list is huge and I am so glad.

Having bypass is not reversible, you loose most of your stomach, what if I wanted more kids, it was very scary. I did however find a surgery that I was happy with. I did research on a lap band and I went on June 19,2012 and was banded. I have lost 50 lbs, I am so happy, and I am loosing the weight the right way. Plus this is reversible, so once my weight is gone I can have it totally removed. I went to Mexico to have mine done and I would love to share my success with you

Love,
    Michelle
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    It's interesting to me that most of the people against surgery never had a BMI over 50. Honestly, you need to do what's best for YOU!! My highest BMI was 53. I was 340 pounds and miserable. I did my research and had gastric bypass surgery. BEST DECISION EVER!! I've lost 200 pounds and have kept it off for over 3 years. No way in hell I could have done that without surgery. Some of us need this tool to help us get healthy and stay healthy. Period.
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I had two sisters who had this surgery with a year or so of each other. Eleven and a half years ago, my younger sister (then 37) had gastric bypass and she was sick immediately after surgery and couldn't eat much even months later. Just unhealthy looking too and lost from a size 24-26 to a 10 very quickly. She died a year after after when she had her gallbladder removed (common after WLS). My other sister lost a lot of weight immediately down to a size 16 and then stalled a yr or so later. She did not have the complications my younger sister did. She also still cannot eat certain things. She is probably a size 10 now and she weighed 350+. She is still glad she had it done as she just could not quit eating and she had no energy. Her knees hurt, many bad things with the weight. I think it has lots of pros and cons so each one has to weigh what they think is best for them. If your quality of life is bad and you are limited in helping yourself with food, exercise, etc., I would probably do it. Neither of them wanted more children either.
  • XxxFallenAngelxxX
    Options
    My mom did it. She lost 36 lb without excercise in les than 2 months.
  • Cassierocksalot
    Cassierocksalot Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I'm blessed enough to have never had to consider this, but I have 2 women in my family who have with 2 very different stories.

I have a 20 something year old cousin who found it too difficult to eat healthy and work out, so she had lapband. She continued to eat the way she did pre-surgery and refused to work out because "I don't have to, I had surgery so I don't have to do that" and gained back twice what she lost. Of course she's blaming it on the surgery and wants Gastric bypass now instead.

I also have a 60+ year old aunt who had lapband, worked her butt off and looks AMAZING. She needed the boost from the surgery to allow her to exercise; there was so much weight on her knees that she could barely walk let along hike or run or do most any other cardio exercise. She understands that she will have to watch what she eats (and how she eats it) every day for the rest of her life. But she's okay doing that. She just had her 3 year-aversary and still looks amazing.

Best of luck to you. Just know that if you have it in you, you have it in you; regardless of whether you have a surgery or not. That decision is something only you can make.
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Something to consider is that if you are truly addicted to food, your addiction can move to something else post-op.

My aunt who had gastric bypass is pretty much knocking at death's door due to switching her food addiction to alcohol. She was doing great the first few years. Now, not so much.
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    My BMI was 57 when I started too. :) It was hard at first, but it's gotten infinitely easier as time has passed. I didn't have weight loss surgery, since I'm against having surgery unless it's to save my life or limb (emergency situations, basically), but I'm not going to tell you not to do it. I talked to my doctor and had a frank conversation. We did bloodwork, and it turned out I have insulin resistance but not diabetes. Yet.

I said I would lose weight, and I have, no surgery necessary. So, I didn't need surgery to save my life; I'm saving my own life. If a heart attack had been imminent, I may have had surgery, but other than my insulin, my body is still in great condition. Hopefully, the next round of bloodwork will show a big improvement in the insulin resistance. If not, we'll just keep checking. (My sugar levels are fine, thank goodness; it's the insulin that's out of whack.)

Anyway, if you decide not to have the surgery, feel free to add me as a friend. My BMI is almost almost almost so close to out of the 50s (I think it's 50.1 right now), and I've lost just shy of 47 pounds. As I said, it was 57, and I brought it down to 50 in seven months. Seven short months! :) You can do it too.

What I would recommend more than anything, no matter what you decide, is getting a hold of how you view food. You can still have a piece of cake or pizza or ice cream or chips! You just have to fit them into your calories (or realize that eating 200 extra calories one day a week isn't going to kill you or put 10 pounds back on). Once you have surgery, you won't be able to eat certain foods without side effects, and/or you won't be able to eat as much. Personally, I like having control over what goes in my stomach, and that means flexibility. Some surgeries don't give you much wiggle room. For example, if I go to a wedding, I want to be able to enjoy a piece of cake. With certain surgeries, that could cause dumping; with other surgeries, I'd be full after a few bites of dinner.

Additionally, if you binge, surgery will stop that while you lose weight, but in the future, you could put the weight back on. If it's lap band, they can adjust it to keep you from binging, but then you miss out on things like that wedding cake. If it's the RNY, I've read stories about people who stretch their stomach back out. That's why I stress learning good habits and changing how you view food because, if you don't, surgery won't be worth it. I'm not criticizing - honestly. I'm just making a point.

Good luck. :flowerforyou:
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    The major *side effect* is malabsorption of nutrients that are essential to your body. This is a huge issue for people who have this weight loss surgery. I'm talking simple vitamins that you get from food. Food that you can not eat because your food consumption is going to be a few tablespoons here and there. It's not worth it.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    My fear would be going through the surgery, suffering through recovery, and then STILL not modifying behavior to wind up back where i started. I have a cousin that went through it and she's just as heavy now as she was before.....after some SERIOUS complications from surgery. Lots of suffering to find up back where she started.

I have a co worker who breezed right through the surgery and recovery just before I started working here. A year and a half later he has put back on over 90lbs...

Lots of expense and trouble to get no where would be my worry.

Diet and exercise got me more than 2/3 of the way to where I need to be in less than a year and it'll get me the rest of the way less than 12 months. No horrifying side effects, no expense, and no invasive surgery.
  • soulfulsally
    Options
    "Then "cake happens?" 2 Snickers bars are happening for me right now, so what?

Focus on calories, you're focusing on things that really don't matter. Weight loss is a psychological game. You get frustrated, upset, feel like a failure, you lose. Keep your head on straight. Pick your self up like nothing happens and continue. Many of us have tried to lose weight many times. We have failed many many times, yet eventually we learn from our mistakes, we learn what's works for us and we become successful.

Weight loss surgery won't work for you. You know why? It doesn't cure the true issue to weight loss/gain. It's psychological not physical. Lets say you get your surgery, and cake comes around, what will happen? You're going to magically pass it up? Doubt it. You'll eat it, probably feel worse, and start a downward spiral back to being over weight.

Focus on "IMPROVING" your diet, doesn't mean change it. Maybe eat 50% good, and 50% what you usually eat. Learn to cook things you like but a low calorie version. After you have your diet about 50% good, then eat good a bit more, maybe 60% and so on. This doesn't happen over night. Weight loss is about habits, it takes time forum habits.

Sometimes people ask me "What did you do to lose your weight?" My reply is, "I didn't quit." There is no secret, just patience, and learning from your mistakes, take your time. Weight loss is a skill, the more you practice it the better you get. So put your time in and practice a lot so you get good.

You've got a great mindset! Congrats on the weight loss!
  • lovechicagobears
    Options
    My other favorite thing about not having surgery = no surgery to fix loose skin.

I'd rather try my best to eat right and get my butt to the gym five day per week then go through a major surgery and then a few surgeries to fix loose skin. That's just too much surgery for me.

And then to risk gaining it all back? No thanks. At least if I gain a few pounds back once I hit my goal weight, it doesn't undo multiple surgeries.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Mid 2010 my doctor said she seriously want me to think about WLS ..... I was prediabetic, so unfit and not in a healthy place.
    Having seen friends STRUGGLE through WLS, and still have huge food issues that is not resolved by the surgery I felt that I needed to give losing weight the "old fashioned way" one more chance.

I had my "WHY" - I put my head into it and went for it - 6 September 2010 I started - by 6 September 2011 I was 110lbs lighter - It had changed my life - without WLS!!

Cake will happen, temptations will happen whether you have the surgery or not - if your head is not in the right place the path of WLS is just in my mind a more miserable place as you deal with the restrictions of the WLS - as well as the normal issues of temptations and cravings.....

I saw my doctor yesterday - I am in the best physical shape of my life - and I for one am so glad I did not resort to surgery - today I can eat what I want - when I want (obviously within my calorie goals) - without any of the negatives WLS would have imposed on me and my body....

My suggestion - go for it for 6 months - give it your all - and by that time you will be a long way to your goal - and know you can do this!!

The most important thing to stress - you need to CHANGE what you do right now - the person I am today is a very different person from who I was in 2010 - I eat good healthy food - I get my butt off the coach and workout - I love being active....... I love my life much better than the coach potato that was sitting on the internet all hours of the night and day :-) :-) :-)

OK back to work for me - good luck - you CAN do this - before you know it you will be here telling others your success story..
  • bethygirlie
    bethygirlie Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I get where you're coming from. And believe me I understand. My starting BMI was 69.5. I was 405 pounds. I thought that it would be literally IMPOSSIBLE for me to lose it without some kind of surgery. And I had everything under the sun - high blood pressure, my resting pulse was like 110, I had to shop at the big men's store for jeans (and I'm clearly a girl...sigh), I even went into a coma for 4 days because of DKA (diabetic ketoacidosis). I thought it was going to be hell to lose it....and it was. But you know, it took me a long time, and I started out slowly....but every pound I lost I dedicated it to something in my life that I couldn't do that I was going to do once I finished. Now that I'm within 15 pounds of my goal weight, I know that all of this struggle of losing it on my own was so worth it, and I've gained skills to use in the future that I'm going to use to keep this weight off. Now the little things mean so much - riding rides at the amusement park, buckling my seat belt, buying clothes in the junior's section, running for miles on the treadmill - they all mean so very much to me, and I am so happy with my decision not to get the surgery. I know it is a last chance for a lot of people, but I had a last chance and I decided to really push through and educate myself on how my future would be if I had chosen surgery....and I decided that I was going to enjoy the struggles, enjoy the setbacks, and enjoy my future life as a healthy happy person. And I don't regret one step of the way. I am so happy that I chose to not get the surgery. I am so happy that I am finally in the homestretch. And I am so happy to be alive.
  • Cassierocksalot
    Cassierocksalot Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    The major *side effect* is malabsorption of nutrients that are essential to your body. This is a huge issue for people who have this weight loss surgery. I'm talking simple vitamins that you get from food. Food that you can not eat because your food consumption is going to be a few tablespoons here and there. It's not worth it.

^^This

My husband's grandmother also had Gastric bypass and she has serious **cough** tummy **cough** troubles now and her docs say it's because of the malabsorption caused by the surgery. Yes she is older and yes she had the surgery a LONG time ago, but it's still something to consider.
  • gailmelanie
    gailmelanie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I know two people who have had different procedures for weight loss and they've lost both lost over 80 lbs, one over 150 lbs. They both had their problems and I wouldn't say it was easy for either of them. In fact, one still suffers a new allergy to iron and needs blood transfusions because of it as well as some other malabsorption sydromes. That requires vigilance in her intake more than she ever needed before, but now it's a matter of life or death, not just potential morbidity from being obese. The one who lost the most had a support group to go to that was formed and maintained by the physician who did the surgery on the members and she says that helped a lot. She's still not as physically fit as she could or should be, either, and while she's definitely thin, she needs tight clothes to hold up her sagging skin and you can tell she has no muscle.
    I asked them both about the grieving they had to do for the loss of the old behaviors and ability to eat and enjoy anything they cared to eat. You have to understand that the surgery comes with forced behavior modification, if not life-threatening new conditions, but it will not cure what goes on in your head when it comes to self- perception and self-talk. That you will need a different kind of help for, but there is help for that, as it seems your surgeon has prescribed for you. Start there first because if you can change your thoughts and self-talk, you might be able to change your behavior, slowly, with support, and the weight loss could follow. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't have the surgery.
  • lovechicagobears
    Options
    I get where you're coming from. And believe me I understand. My starting BMI was 69.5. I was 405 pounds. I thought that it would be literally IMPOSSIBLE for me to lose it without some kind of surgery. And I had everything under the sun - high blood pressure, my resting pulse was like 110, I had to shop at the big men's store for jeans (and I'm clearly a girl...sigh), I even went into a coma for 4 days because of DKA (diabetic ketoacidosis). I thought it was going to be hell to lose it....and it was. But you know, it took me a long time, and I started out slowly....but every pound I lost I dedicated it to something in my life that I couldn't do that I was going to do once I finished. Now that I'm within 15 pounds of my goal weight, I know that all of this struggle of losing it on my own was so worth it, and I've gained skills to use in the future that I'm going to use to keep this weight off. Now the little things mean so much - riding rides at the amusement park, buckling my seat belt, buying clothes in the junior's section, running for miles on the treadmill - they all mean so very much to me, and I am so happy with my decision not to get the surgery. I know it is a last chance for a lot of people, but I had a last chance and I decided to really push through and educate myself on how my future would be if I had chosen surgery....and I decided that I was going to enjoy the struggles, enjoy the setbacks, and enjoy my future life as a healthy happy person. And I don't regret one step of the way. I am so happy that I chose no surgery. I am so happy that I am finally in the homestretch. And I am so happy to be alive.

:)

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: