GYM??? OR NOT???

Options
13»

Replies

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Are you asking if it is ok to workout at home or at the gym - or are you asking if it is ok to give it a 20% effort instead of a 75% effort?

be honest now :flowerforyou:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I work out at home because I'm too shy for the show-off environment of the gym.

someone being able to do something that you can't do ≠ showing off
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I wish my gym had a show off attitude :frown:
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    If you think of it you could aim to do what will be a part of your life for every. Find what works for you.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the gym, and I don't have any weight equipment besides a pull up bar and dip bar.

You don;t really need any more than that to get a good full body workout.

I have a jump rope for cardio, but I prefer to be outdoors for that.
  • hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I agree with 'whatever works best for you'. From my experience, the gym is the best for me because it really pushes me to actually workout. If I do a video at home, it's too easy to give up and sit on the couch. The best tip - find something you like and stick with it. I love swimming, so that makes my gym worth it in itself - they have a great indoor pool which is perfect for the cold, Colorado winter here.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I agree you should do whatever works best for you.

For me, it's usually the gym. While I run outdoors, most of my other workouts are at the local YMCA. Great gym and lots of fun classes. I like to mix it up. What I love most about the gym are the friends I've made who are also into fitness. I have found people that I occasionally run with, ride bikes outdoors with, and one that I'm taking a climbing class with starting in January. The friends I've made at the Y have been great additions to my life and I would never have met them if I worked out at home.

And I'm constantly inspired by others at the Y, whether I know them or not. I don't see any show-offs. (Well, there is that one guy....lol.) I simply see motivating, exciting and inspirational people.

Oh, and I used to suffer from SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) in the winter. I'm not sure if it's the endorphins from exercising or the boost I get being in fully-lit rooms full of activity and absorbing the positive energy of the folks around me, but I no longer get SAD.
  • HSingMomto7Kids
    HSingMomto7Kids Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    It is absolutely okay to work-out at home!! I have NEVER EVER worked out at the gym!!! I only work out at home as being a SAHM so this is it for me!!! You are doing fine!!
  • Chelkb
    Chelkb Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I don't have any gyms where I live. The closest one is a half hour away. I work from 8-5 or 6, have to pick kids up, get dinner ready, do homework, baths, sometimes extracurricular activities for my son (soccer & boy scouts). My husband works an hour away and is on call every other evening and works every other weekend. Let me tell you, it makes getting to a gym impossible. My exercise consists of running outdoors or on the treadmill, depending on weather and what time of day I can do it and I also work out with kettlebells. I have 7 different dvd's and what is great is that I can mix those up. Many of the dvd's have sections, so sometimes I do one section from one dvd and a couple off another dvd. I am currently using 18 and 25 lb bells. Maybe someday a gym will be doable for me but in the meantime, I'm pleased with what I do.
  • 1lexisva
    1lexisva Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Thanks Everyone :) I will work at Home for now I like it
  • hannahcall2
    hannahcall2 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 25 pounds working out at home, but I wish I could have the option to work out at the gym. Unfortunately its not in the budget.