Replies

• BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Condoms are for sailors.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Fun Fact: The Villages in Florida, which is a retirement community and really a small self contained city, has the highest rate of STD's.

So in answer to your question yes. Use protection.

OP was clearly asking about pregnancy, not STDs.

So? It's still a fun fact and regardless of whether or not someone over 50 can get pregnant they can still get an STD. Age doesn't exonerate a person from this.

So you weren't answering the OP's question. OP clearly wrote the word pregnancy and said that the couple is in a stable long term relationship. I wouldn't necessarily call STD facts fun, either.

I wasn't calling an STD a fun fact. I was stating that the fact that this one particular retirement community is rampant with STD's the fun fact. Jeeze.

And I'm sorry for not answering the OP's original question. I didn't realize it affected you that much.:flowerforyou:
  • runbyme
    runbyme Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Saddle up partner! Every time! :drinker:
  • michelejoann
    michelejoann Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Fun Fact: The Villages in Florida, which is a retirement community and really a small self contained city, has the highest rate of STD's.

OP was clearly asking about pregnancy, not STDs.

So? It's still a fun fact and regardless of whether or not someone over 50 can get pregnant they can still get an STD. Age doesn't exonerate a person from this.

So you weren't answering the OP's question. OP clearly wrote the word pregnancy and said that the couple is in a stable long term relationship. I wouldn't necessarily call STD facts fun, either.

I wasn't calling an STD a fun fact. I was stating that the fact that this one particular retirement community is rampant with STD's the fun fact. Jeeze.

And I'm sorry for not answering the OP's original question. I didn't realize it affected you that much.:flowerforyou:

Geez oh man. People need to CHEEEEEEEEL. I found your fun fact interesting.
  • Chapter3point6
    Options
    Geez oh man. People need to CHEEEEEEEEL. I found your fun fact interesting.

THIS
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different...but I know a woman who had a baby at 49.. healthy little chubster that kid is. So...if your equipment is still technically in working order and you aint looking to get pregnant, me thinks you should either see a doc and find out your options or ....put a jacket on that beast.
  • beach_please
    beach_please Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    just pull and pray ....60% of the time it works everytime

Haha! Yep. Works great... that's how I got my youngest son. Now, it's "No glove, no love".
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Just pull out. Its been effective for me for the past 15 years. You just need to know when to pull the plug. No kids.....errrrr let me check.....yup no kids.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    not at all trying to be rude, but you are how old and asking about pregnancy?!? I'm not a doctor, but I play one on MFP....
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Just pull out. Its been effective for me for the past 15 years. You just need to know when to pull the plug. No kids.....errrrr let me check.....yup no kids.

Something I've been meaning to tell you Chuckie. Have a seat.

You remember that night? Well.. this is hard to say.. just look at his eyes..
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

You'd only need to use protection if you were not in a stable, long-term, monogamous relationship. If you've been having sex with the same person (and neither of you have had sex with other people) for 20 years, your risk of contracting a new STI from that person is very low.

Um, what about the people that think they are in a monogamous relationship???

Um, so you have never had sex without a condom? How do you think people get pregnant? You have to trust that your partner isn't sleeping around at some point.

True statement.

However, it is silly to ignore that a STD is indeed a possibility.

STDs were NOT the point of my post.
    We have been faithfull for 25 years.
    The question was for 50ish people about protection in regards to pregnancies and miscarriages, etc.....

It's alright, reading comprehension fail is rampant among this site.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options

You'd only need to use protection if you were not in a stable, long-term, monogamous relationship. If you've been having sex with the same person (and neither of you have had sex with other people) for 20 years, your risk of contracting a new STI from that person is very low.

Um, what about the people that think they are in a monogamous relationship???

Um, so you have never had sex without a condom? How do you think people get pregnant? You have to trust that your partner isn't sleeping around at some point.

True statement.

However, it is silly to ignore that a STD is indeed a possibility.

STDs were NOT the point of my post.
    We have been faithfull for 25 years.
    The question was for 50ish people about protection in regards to pregnancies and miscarriages, etc.....

You need to stop taking it so personally. Sit down, relax and have a cup of coffee.:drinker:
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Do people not get tested before taking on a new partner these days? It seemed to be a requirement back in my single days. I would never sleep with anyone (and wouldn't expect them to feel safe with me) if we both didn't get tested for STDs (so while I'm an atheist with no religious objection to as much, as often, and as many sex partners as you wish being safe means no one-night stands). Perhaps that has "fallen out of fashion" now that AIDS isn't a ginormous scare these days (since it can be managed). Anyway, after clearing those tests and being with someone long-term I think it is fairly safe to assume one's partner is not sleeping around. But of course pregnancy is still a risk. So for those talking about STDs, while I understand it is a big problem, I think at some point one should be able to trust their partners. Even if they are sleeping around hopefully they are at least protecting themselves. It is important to be open and candid about the risks with all new partners and stress the importance of safety with long-term ones. While it might be an uncomfortable conversation the implications of not having the conversation, proper tests, and proper use of protection can be quite significant.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    50 is late for menopause, but women can get pregnant during menopause. My aunt and grandmother both did, though both of those pregnancies ended in miscarriage.

Post-menopause, then it shouldn't be an issue.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Quick question that hopefully won't be pulled by the monitors.

If you are around 50 and in a very long term stable relationship, do you use protection?

I have seen conflicting stats about how late pregnancy can occur.

If no one has been snipped, I wouldn't take my chances.

My mother's former boss went through menopause and hadn't had a period in two years. She was in her late 40s. Her doctor told her she no longer needed to worry.

Doc was very wrong!

I don't know if this got lost or the OP saw it. But it addresses the question at hand pretty well so I'm repeating it.
  • Chapter3point6
    Options

Dr. Seuss is in da house!

33460395_eymvWHu5_c.jpg
  • Fox_n_sox
    Fox_n_sox Posts: 283 Member
    Options

Where do you get that information?
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options

Something I've been meaning to tell you Chuckie. Have a seat.

You remember that night? Well.. this is hard to say.. just look at his eyes..

HAHAHAHAHAHA the men of MFP are so on fire today. I have so much love for yall today. SO MUCH. Im adopting you all and lining you up on my couch for some football and beer. GET IN MY HOUSE!
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options

you just ruined my weekend plans, but at the same time may have saved my life. so... thanks
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Sex after fifty is fine. Food after midnight however...

bTqJ4.gif