How to go to a bar and not get hammered?

Options

Replies

• neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    That happened to me for 30 years before I realized I just had to quit. it's a problem if you can't just go in and have a few beers. If you walk out hammered every time, you have a problem.
  • fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Two waters between each beer.

1) you'll stay hydrated
    2) you'll have more water in you than beer
    3) you wont get drunk
    4) you'll have better self control
    5) you'll have more money in your pocket

what if she doesnt drink beer?
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Leave the credit card at home, just leave 5-10 dollars in your wallet.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    offer to be the DD and do not have ANY drinks.

NO NO NO, please dont do this. If you have to ask the original question,..well please dont do this ^^

winner again. er, still.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    That happened to me for 30 years before I realized I just had to quit. it's a problem if you can't just go in and have a few beers. If you walk out hammered every time, you have a problem.

huh... interesting point. Probably worth thinking about...
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Don't go to bars if you can't handle it. If you can't swim in the deep end, stay in the kiddie pool.
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    get hammered before you go to the point that you can only handle 2 beers. or you could do what I do, when I promise I will only have 2 beers I keep that promise by only drinking to pitchers of beer
  • AmberLee2012
    Options
    Only take enough cash for a few drinks.
  • IntoTheSky
    IntoTheSky Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    only take your ID and 15 bucks

As a girl, I can safely bet that I have never bought more than two of my own drinks in any given night out. I have come home plastered many a time on some random mens dollars. And then left them at the bar.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I just order a whiskey or scotch and sip all night, switch to club soda when the glass is empty.

Also agree with the person who suggested to only bring enough cash for 2 drinks. No credit cards.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I'm curious, exactly what kind of answers were you expecting to get here? Was the answer not obvious enough already?
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Here are a few options:

Buy your own drinks. You'll quickly see how much money you are wasting down your gullet.
    Drink a water between every drink.
    Let me hook you up with the last guy I dated. You'll get along fabulously and he'll always offer to drunk drive you home.
    Grow the hell up and learn some self control.
  • StephCoff1969
    Options
    I go out every Friday night for karaoke and what I do is
    I start with a glass of water or two, then I have a whiskey and tonic...
    Drink two more glasses of water, well you get the idea...

Sometimes I get my bartender to get a glass of wine, and a glass of seltzer water... I mix half and half, until I have finished all the wine, and I'm done...
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I like drinking and having fun too but it really should not be a challenge to go to a bar and NOT get wasted...
  • gingameister
    gingameister Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Go to a bar and not get hammered?!? That. Does. Not. Compute!!!!! LOL 8-)
  • mdbs2004
    mdbs2004 Posts: 220
    Options
    I'll take ya to the bar and show you how :\
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Don't drink at all. After you already toss back a couple it's pretty easy to toss back a few more.

Some people find abstinence easier than moderation.
  • CacophonyJen
    Options
    At least *I'll* try to give you a serious response! (Although I appreciate seeing the light-hearted ones as well!)

There's no single solution, you have to go with what works for you.

When in those kinds of situations, I usually will go for a dark beer (Guinness or the like) - the type of beer doesn't matter so much, as long as it is non-chuggable. It slows down the pace of drinking a lot, and I'm usually done at 2 drinks.

There's of course the tactic of a glass of water between alcoholic drinks. If you do that, I'd recommend ordering both at the same time, and setting the rule that you can't have another alcoholic beverage until the water is gone.

If you are out with your friends, you can ask them to hold you accountable - they're your friends, right? That's what they are for!

Another tactic is to take on the role of DD. Not as much fun, but you'll probably get free non-alcoholic drinks and be there to help your friends get home safely.

My hubby's stepmom swears by wine spritzers. A generous splash of white wine in a glass of club soda, and she's good. It's not a bad way to go, because it's hard to consume a lot of alcohol that way.

Just some thoughts - hope they help!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I like drinking and having fun too but it really should not be a challenge to go to a bar and NOT get wasted...

It should really not be a challenge to eat food and NOT get fat also, but... *looks around*
  • CoronerKris
    CoronerKris Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    your body also reacts differently if you are drinking in an "unfamiliar" situation. At home I can drink a **** ton of beers and take shots all night which i do every sunday when the cowboys play haha but when i go out to a bar which isnt all that often i drink maybe half of what i would at home and feel drunk much faster.