Anyone else hate eating out?

Options

Replies

• DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Can't say that this is a problem for me, at all. I love food and I'm not about to let calorie counting take that away from me!
  • laurelderry
    laurelderry Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Yep, me too. I don't like not having control of how my food is made.

Yep
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Like eating out. Eating at restaurants is a hassle though if they don't publish nutrition facts.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I don't hate it at all, I really enjoy it most of the time. Sometimes you're just not in the mood though.
  • R0asted
    R0asted Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I really really love eating out cause I'm lazy but I CAN'T afford to eat out when I'm dieting cause my food choices are more limited. ALso, I hate not being able to count my cals and carbs if the place doesn't provide nutritional information about their food.
  • nilesbollinger
    nilesbollinger Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Totally expected a different topic based on the subject...

And my answer is no, I don't hate it one bit ;)
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    When friends suggest eating out I agree only if the place has a salad bar where I can be in control. When I am eating out a lot the scales show it.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I love going out to eat in restaurants!

I usually look at the menu beforehand to plan out what I'm going to eat. I then find the closest thing in MFP to log my calories and move on. I don't stress about it being perfectly correct, I just try to get it as close as I can.

I'm going out to lunch today with my coworkers and I can't wait!
  • thethinnydiaries
    Options
    Totally expected a different topic based on the subject...

And my answer is no, I don't hate it one bit ;)

hahahahaha

(let's be honest....who doesn't?) ;)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Me too...but for different reasons. I actually enjoy cooking and most of my meals are better than anything I could get eating out. It's pretty rare (even before my diet change) that my wife and I eat out...usually very special occasions at a high end restaurant or if it's just something I can't make very well at home...there are a few things that I simply can't seem to master and it comes out nowhere near as good as I can get out.

When I do eat out, I estimate as well as I can based on the ingredients that I see and throw a little extra in there for butter and what not.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    For those of you who don't like it...

Is it because you don't know right down to the very calorie what you're eating? Or is it because you can't estimate cals in basic foods like steak, chicken breast, pasta, salad, etc?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Nope. It's not hard to estimate most "standard" meals... sauces and things can make it hard, but most restaurants have nutrition information either on their website or upon request. If I know it's going to be a big meal, I may save some extra cals for it, get in a bigger workout that day, or just say the hell with it.

If I'm not enjoying myself when I eat, what's the point? Mental health is just as important as physical health... I'm not going to drive myself crazy over analyzing every single calorie.

Additionally... it's 1 meal. If you are focused on long term steady progress (like you should be), 1 meal isn't going to make a difference.

I think JacksonPT pretty much nails it. I'd go further and say to hate or fear eating out is a warning sign that your relationship with food may be less that heatlhy.
  • athenaheim
    athenaheim Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Yep right there with ya.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I know I don't mind doing it and when my lady is in the mood she also enjoys a good eating out.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I love it and can't get enough
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I used to hate it for the same reasons as you. I more or less got over it. Make your best estimate and move on.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    I totally understand the lac of control over the way your food is prepped is annoying but I do have to say that Id rather just have fun and enjoy the meal instead of obsessing or not eating all day because of it. I allow myself one day a week to go out to eat and also have a dessert. I would rather not deprive myself of those experiences because this is about learning how to eat right for the rest of your life. If you think you can go the rest of your life not eating out, great. If not, well, adapt. :)

Those extra 500 calories in one of your many meals should not make a that big of a difference in your weight. Unless your eating around 3500 extra calories above your tdee, then in theory you shouldn't gain a pound. :)
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    I don't hate it at all, I really enjoy it most of the time. Sometimes you're just not in the mood though.

:angry:
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    He tells me all the time.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    FR sent!