Why don't you bench?

Options

Replies

• Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I bench dumbbells because my right side is weaker than my left. I am trying to help with that. That being said I rarely see girls benching. Sad.
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    I bench (80#) and shockingly do push ups too!
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I don't bench right now because I have a sprained wrist from punching things.

However, when I do bench it's on a 3x5 program at 100+ lbs working sets through the full range of motion with constant weight progression. And for the record, my pec muscles look fabulous.
  • BigDnSW
    BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    What did you just call my wife???? Ohhhhhhhhh...sorry... BENCH. We bench with light free weights in our home gym. Gotta stay toned at our age...whippersnappers...:laugh:
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Because I don't have access to a gym anymore. :sad: :sad:

but I used to, all the time. I was up to 75% of my body weight (and was doing 12-15 reps, so it wasn't my max).

Girls DO SO bench!!
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I suppose that they should use little pink weights and wear super cute outfits while they work out too?

I could care less about the weight,s, but yes please on the super cute outfits. Thanks!
  • RatherBeFishing
    RatherBeFishing Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I hardly ever see lady's lifting heavy or using free weights at the gym I go to either. Dumbbells are better for benching with then a straight bar IMHO.
  • lucasriggs
    Options
    They don't want to get all bulky.

^This...even though they wont.

I've never seen a girl lift a barbell in a gym...I rarely see them pick up dumbbells.
  • R0asted
    R0asted Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    To be honest, if a woman exercises for looks only and chooses to neglect chest, I can't really blame her. Pecs are hard for women to develop and even if they develop them, they don't look that great IMHO on a girl. Better off concentrating on shoulders, arms and back IMHO. I think the only reason for women to bench is if they want overall strength and don't want to neglect any areas.

You do realize that benching uses more than just chest muscles don't you?

Of course, Bench also hits triceps and front delts as secondary muscles...........both of which could be developed more effectively with other exercises that directly target those muscle groups.
  • BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY
    BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Why don't I bleach? I tried it once because I know it looks better for the camera. I'll never do it again, though, because it left me really sore and tender. Made it pure hell for a week, every time I had to poop. :embarassed:
  • cad39too
    cad39too Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I bench 2/3 times a week; although gains are hard to come by as I use the small gym at work and I am usually down there on my own so noone to spot me or my bench at home. Moving up in weight slowly but surely though.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    They don't want to get all bulky.

^This...even though they wont.

I've never seen a girl lift a barbell in a gym...I rarely see them pick up dumbbells.

There's a girl named Simone who works out regularly at my gym who looks like Zooey Deschanel but with a shapelier body. I think she's doing the 5x5 program because I've never seen her doing anything that doesn't involve tying up either a squat rack or a bench with a barbell loaded with a very substantial amount of weight. I know she squats 215 for reps, or did last time I saw her hit it on squat day. Probably more now.

EDIT: Except for arc trainer. She does about 20 minutes on the arc trainer after her weights workouts.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I bench every week. Generally with dumbells because I rarely ever have a spotter. I do it on the Smith occasionally. I am currently benching 45# dumbells.

Same here, I use dumbells 3 times a week cause I go early in the morning when my boyfriend can't spot me. Every other Saturday or Sunday, my boyfriend goes with me and he'll spot me from afar (meaning he's resting when I'm lifting so if I need help, he can help)
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    pshaw.

I been benching without a trainer for a year now.

Finally decided to ask someone in the gym to spot me and blew my last PR outta the water!
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I never see any ladies at my gym doing free weights period.

your gym is no bueno then.

My gym rules!
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I bench 75# without a trainer and 95# with - goal is to get me to higher weight without him -- my upper body is my weakest area BUT I do BP...and about 90% of the females on my list also lift heavy like that

I thought I read those were dumbbells, my mouth dropped open for a minute, still a fantastic bench!
  • Jkmumma
    Jkmumma Posts: 254
    Options
    I bench: 45 lbs bar, 25 lb weights on each side, so 95 lbs, counting the bar.

I also love the leg press. It's not because of my lower body assets.. It's because the leg press makes me feel strong, as I can leg press 450 lbs, and some of the guys at the gym will stare in awe when I do it, not only because it's a girl lifting that much, but because most of them can't. It's a nice feel.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Why don't I bleach? I tried it once because I know it looks better for the camera. I'll never do it again, though, because it left me really sore and tender. Made it pure hell for a week, every time I had to poop. :embarassed:

Yea...anal bleaching is not that great. I keep my pooper natural
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I bench without a trainer unless I am benching over 70lbs and need a spotter, just incase. I finished week 6
    of Stronglifts a couple of weeks ago and plan to get back to lifting heavy again after the holidays.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    I bench on my own, no spotter or trainer and I am up to 65 kg or 143 lbs (5 reps per set)

So put that in your notebook!!!