Not a fan of eating

Options
1235»

Replies

• derekj222
    derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Your goal, according to your profile is to lose 137 pounds, so I thinking you have been eating too much, not too little. We are here to help, but if you lie, we can't help.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you might just be burned out on cooking. Do you cook for a living/work in a kitchen? You sound a lot like my ex the chef. He would work all day in a kitchen, and just be too worn out to cook for himself again when he got home. Maybe try to combat this by having easy pre-made things on hand. Pick up a roasted chicken at the market. Use it for tacos, sandwiches, soup, etc. Not exciting, but certainly better than a diet of danishes.

If I'm off base, and you really dislike eating, seek out professional help.
  • Mel2626
    Mel2626 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Your goal, according to your profile is to lose 137 pounds, so I thinking you have been eating too much, not too little. We are here to help, but if you lie, we can't help.

OP never said they don't eat, they said they don't LIKE to do it and just end up grabbing something easy (and probably super high in calories) to satiate their hunger.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    I don't think it's actually eating that OP has an aversion to, it's the prep time and necessity of eating that are bothersome. I completely understand because I feel that way sometimes too. Since you are working around food all the time, the last thing you want to think about when you get home from work is "What should I eat?". It becomes a chore day in and day out to have to figure what to eat. The suggestion of planning your meals ahead of time or pre-making them in large quantities to split for later is fantastic. You won't have to even put a thought into what to eat and you can just focus on eating and enjoying your meal.
    Another suggestion I have would be to make eating more interesting. Sounds odd but you need to change your mentality so that you stop viewing eating as such a horrible thing (and then just end up grabbing fast food or getting food delivered). Perhaps you could do some research on foods and what affects they have on the body, try new foods, make it a "game" to see what foods will fit nicely into your macros. You sounds bored with food~don't be! You cook, so experiment! Create new healthy recipes, share with friends/family etc. Best of luck to you!

I second your idea of making eating more interesting. A super easy way to do this is to buy food that you can flavor a million different ways. I do this with oatmeal. I buy plain oats (they cook in 1.5-2 minutes) and I mix in whatever I want. Sometimes I'll dice half an apple and put it in there with a little cinnamon, sometimes I'll add strawberries and vanilla almond milk, PB2 is great for this, but my recent obsession is adding one of those Duncan Hines frosting creations packets to my oatmeal. The packets are only 10 calories and I use half of it or less.

Things like pasta and bread are great bases as well. You can put all kind of different stuff on pasta (or if you want lower calorie stuff go with the tofu shirataki noodles, ~30 calories/cup vs ~200/cup). With bread you can make all different kinds of sandwiches. I always find myself disappointed with the thin 40-50 calorie breads, but Jewish rye is ~70 calories a slice and sugar free. I commented earlier about the joseph's bakery breads which are HUGE and only 100 calories and very good nutrition wise. You can buy different veggies, meats, cheeses, condiments, etc. and make tons of different sandwiches.

And to those that keep quoting the "get help" post, I think OP got the point by now, you're beating a dead horse. ITT: let's be helpful and suggest quick, easy, and healthy suggestions. There are likely other people here looking for suggestions as well.
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Yeah sometimes I have to do things that I don't like, but these bodies aren't gonna chop themselves up and walk into my freezer.

Well, there's your problem! Wouldn't it be more efficient to have them walk into the freezer and chop themselves up, there? How are they gonna walk, post-chop?
  • jenneal89
    Options
    Ok so I haven't read past the first page, so sorry if this has already been said but just because someone doesn't LOVE eating more than anything and can't wait to put the next food item in there mouth doesn't mean they need to seek professional help. I never used to enjoy food I just ate because I had to. I was picky and never experienced amazing food. I started getting really into baking and cooking and discovered all sorts of food I love and now I enjoy eating.

Anyway, back to OP. I usually have porridge with fruit or homemade granola fir breakfast. For snacks I like to have a piece of whole grain toast with almond butter, some fruit and veggies, or a small bit of chicken....stuff like that. Dinner is always either some form of beans, chickpeas, or lentils with veggies. We only eat meat around once a week because of the cost but we track our protein and get enough of it.

bbcgoodfood.com has great healthy recipes that are easy and quick to prepare :) dinner rarely takes me longer than 30min

Edited for typos
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    wow, I can really feel the love :/ SMH... Well, why don't you just get something healthy (like a turkey sandwich or something) ready the day before to take with. You can always grab a good meal bar (slightly better than danish, depending on which one you get). Fruit was designed as prepackaged food, so when in doubt grab an apple or something. I go through fazes where I don't feel too hungry and that's usually when I end up having more protein shakes and meal bar type things just cuz they're quick to eat and easy to make, or take with. I have a hard time with candy and chips and stuff like that because it's easy and ready to eat, but I feel like crap and don't have any energy when that's all I eat so make the effort, it's worth it.
    This! I find pre-making lunches for work helps me to eat so much better! I also refuse to start the day without a fruit smoothie, so that I can be assured to get some great nutrition even if I eat like an idiot later in the day.
  • KarleyEvaughn
    Options
    I don't enjoy brushing, flossing, or taking out the recycling, but sometimes you gotta man up and do what needs to be done.

^^exactly
  • doasyouwill
    Options
    Not sure why there's so much mad going on in this thread..

Anyway, OP if you genuinely have no motivation to eat then you should, as others have mentioned earlier, seek professional help. Not wanting to eat is a symptom of several psychological illnesses, depression being one of them. You might also want to see a medical doctor as well. There could be something seriously wrong with you that making you not want to eat!

I'm sure you're thinking this post isn't particularly helpful, but the problem you have isn't exactly one that can be solved by people over the internet. Not wanting to eat isn't normal and it's something you (read: NOT US) need to go and get checked on.
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I've worked in kitchens for 14 years, so I can understand where you are coming from with the constant busyness and don't have time to put thought into eating. I'm lucky if I get to sit down for 5 minutes some days - that's the life of a busy kitchen.

Here's what I did, and I hope you'll find my suggestion helpful.
    On your time off go to the grocery store and buy a bunch of healthy snack foods to take to work with you. Here's a small list of some of my personal choices;

Greek yogurt (individual portions)
    Clementines, apples
    Bananas
    Baby bell cheese
    Peanut butter on toast or rice cake
    Protein muffins (homemade)
    Hard-boiled eggs

When I know I need to eat at work, I will 'graze' on my snacks all day while working at the same time. Give it a try, goodluck!
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I realize this has nothing to do with anything, but your profile pic (while I'm pretty sure is coffee) makes me really want hot chocolate right now.....
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I realize this has nothing to do with anything, but your profile pic (while I'm pretty sure is coffee) makes me really want hot chocolate right now.....

haha, I get that a lot :)