What to tell your kids when you buy Christmas?

Options
124»

Replies

• katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Whoever said craigslist, that's a great idea. Just get on, go to the free section and browse. You still have a few days to coordinate something. Even if it's used, it will be new to your kids. You may be able to find your kids some clothes, balls, toys, dolls, and maybe even a bike. I'm very sorry for your situation.

I grew up very poor, and had many christmas' that my brother's and I only received one gift each. We always made presents for our parents and I don't remember one Christmas that I was bummed out. I remember my cousin complaining in front of my brothers and I that she couldn't believe her parents only got her 19 presents. As a child, that is hard to hear. But we weren't raised to base everything on money, and I just couldn't believe she was so selfish. Another year, my brother's and I were so excited because my mom told us that some people from a group were going to bring us presents and leave them on our porch but we had to be quite and keep the lights out so they would leave us a lot. She was making it exciting as if Santa was coming a couple of nights early. I was told when I was 4-5 that Santa wasn't real. So being an 8 year old and having two older brother's who were just as excited made that christmas really memorable. I don't even remember what I received, but I remember what my mom did for us. She made the experience more exciting than the actual gifts.

Just to add: I just looked up on craigslist in the Dallas area, and someone is offering a free box of toys. Just have to go and pick them up.
  • newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    there are dollar stores and discount stores with many gifts around 1-3 bucks. Nothing fancy- but something to open.

Id get the 14 year old - a giant chocolate bar- $1
    cheap perfume/body wash set - $3
    Headbands/scarf/mittens/fake ear rings/ other assorted accessories - $2-$5
    Nail polish- $1-2

8 year old
    a lot of what I already said but also
    construction paper/stickers/glue/markers -$2-$4
    small stuffed animal -$4 or $5
    small purse/play make up $5

My daughter has a friend that has a single dad that wont put up a tree. While she does get Christmas after the new year with distant relatives it saddened me to think she wont have it as we're all having it - and all her friends at school etc. So I spent $10 to put a few things under our tree. I shopped at a place near me called Family Dollar (some of you may know Dollar General?) Same thing.. Big Lots? Ollies? Dollar Tree.... I dont mean to be mean- but really- earlier in the season you couldnt scrape up $10? Just seems crazy- what parent would want ZERO things for their kids to open.. they know your situation Im sure and would have been amazed, enthralled and just as starry eyed as any kid to see a few tokens under the tree... Its not about stuff or its worth- sure- so bake something and make it heart shaped? Little stunned at the absolute lack of ideas or forethought.
  • LMT2012
    LMT2012 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I've used hand done "coupons" for hard to buy for young people. The gift of your time will mean a lot. You'd be surprised what you can come up with/promise that costs little or nothing but gives them each special time with you.
    Best wishes and I firmly believe this can actually make the holiday better and more meaningful.
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I'd maybe try to volunteer with them at a local soup kitchen or food pantry. Maybe you can teach them about giving back to others and such.

When I though we were going to be really tight this year, I purchased a wooden semi truck and trailer at a thrift store for $2. I then used paint I already had on hand to paint awesome flames and stuff all over it. Now it's a badass toy and the one I'm the most excited about.
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I am so glad you got some money together.

Please do yourself a favore and shop the sales.

Also, I wish I could send you some money. It may be only 20 dollars but hey, every bit of it helps right?

However, go the the dollar general stores and the like. They have great gifts for low prices.

Edit: Heck if I was even close to you I would give you a few things for free. o_o
  • Heather1899
    Heather1899 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    About a month ago I ordered my stuff so it got here in time, but for my sister's family (I don't have kids) I went to Amazon.com and bought them USED books from there. Some of the books were only a penny to a dollar each. Of course, I had to pay shipping and handling. However since each book cost about $10 at least new I figured a $5 book (counting the used book & shipping) I could buy each 2 books for the price of one.
    The books came to my house and I inspected them. Very clean, no writing in them that I saw and no ripped pages. I wrapped them up all pretty and added a candy cane to each gift.
    I think you can probably even buy used dvds on amazon. I bought my Chalean Extreme exercise dvds on Amazon and only paid $50 for the used set. I think new it cost at least $100?
    I just recently bought a used cd on Amazon for a penny (then add shipping & handling) probably $4 total for that cd.
    You can also hit up thrift shops. I simply like Amazon.com despite shipping cost because I can pick what I want instead of waiting to find that specific thing at a thrift shop.
    And the kids never cared that what I bought was used. The books I ordered for the youngest was exactly what she wanted!! I knew because her mom told me, and I found them. She was very happy and I figure being kids (jr high age) they stuff those books in the book bags or drop them on the floor anyways.
  • gaylynn35
    gaylynn35 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Two thoughts

"Working class poor" - hmm. Do you have a mobile phone? Do you drink? Do you smoke? Subscription TV? Do you allow yourself luxuries that you don't need that could be paying for a small present for your children? It is hard to imagine someone who can't afford to save £20 over a year for a Christmas present if they have a minimum wage job... are you living your day to day life beyond your means? And have squandered instead of saving?

Otherwise, do something with your kids that they really will love. Take them to the park. Do a puzzle with them. Play an old board game. Memories are not made from money alone.

Well that was kid of rude! I do not have a mobile phone or cable t.v. I lost my job and we are doing the best we can with what we have. No I do not allow myself any luxuries either. No I do not squander away our money.

Thanks for your help, but I don't need your kind of help.
  • gaylynn35
    Options
    I went to the thrift store with the money I received from my ex and got my 8 year old son 3 shirts and 3 pairs of pants and a jacket for only $35, I also got my 14 year old son a Jacket for $4. I am going to go out now and try to find the 14 year old some new shoes he has been needing for awhile now.

Again, thanks to all of you for your kind words, I appreciate it very much!!!

Merry Christmas to all!!!
  • gaylynn35
    Options

Also, I wish I could send you some money. It may be only 20 dollars but hey, every bit of it helps right?

However, go the the dollar general stores and the like. They have great gifts for low prices.

Edit: Heck if I was even close to you I would give you a few things for free. o_o

Thank you for your kind words, I was able to get them some things at the thrift store.
  • gaylynn35
    Options
    Gay Lynn, my friend I am THRILLED your ex has offered such an amazing 'gift'!
    You can do SO MUCH good with that amount of money...
    Also, with so many things you can make for the boys, the coupon book is an awesome idea.
    Baking them something special and wrapping it...
    I am thrilled by ALL the awesome suggestions!

It's given me some great ideas.

Merry Christmas to YOU!!

Thank you Shelli!!
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,947 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you were able to work something out for your two boys still at home. Before I read your solution, I was going to suggest you find something to sell last minute on Craig's list to raise a little money. I noticed you also have grandchildren. If they are old enough to expect something from Grandma, I suggest a cookie baking time together. This could also work for the 8-yr old. You could wrap up some sprinkles and a date card - something like that.

Good luck in the new year in your job hunting.
  • C12254
    C12254 Posts: 198
    Options
    I havent read the other replies but i think it would be a great opportunity to teach "its not about the gifts". Spend more time as a family. watching movies. singing christmas songs. and discussing the true meaning of the season.
    Ifs kind of late but you could also try a toys for tots thing? Maybe they could at least help you out with a few gifts for each of them.
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Dollar store gifts, cook their favorite meal, bake their favorite cookies. We had broke christmases and i remember only happy times.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    It was pretty rare for me to get given new stuff for presents as a kid - most was second hand.
    It wasn't that they were even that badly off - in the grand scheme of things they had enough money.
    They just didn't put value on buying new over something that would be enjoyed just as much that was second hand.

If you want more - how about working out some cheap activities you CAN afford that they would want to do and look forward to - then print off (presuming you have some access to a printer) a 'gift certificate' promising the activity on redemption. Even just something simple like a family day in the park playing football for the younger kid - similarly, maybe a "meal of their choice with all the ice cream they can eat voucher" - all home cooked and of course we're talking a big tub of cheap ice cream, not expensive ben and jerries. Should still be able to do that pretty cheaply and it puts it off a little bit.
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    make something! even better make something together!
    i made my friends salt dough decorations this christmas, and truffles, and a little tub of tic tacs saying "heard youve been naughty so heres the scoop, this year for christmas all you get is snowman poop!" lol
    x
  • darisey
    darisey Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I've never been able to afford to buy my kids gifts. We celebrate dia de los tres reyes magos. The story of when the three kings (or wise men) traveled to baby Jesus and brought him gold, frankincense and myrrh.
    The kids each get three presents and I always make them something. Last year I made them clothes, this year we did special ornaments from them to everyone else and I made them felt food and a fabric activity book. I also have some secondhand stuff to wrap for them. Some of my friends are in similar situations and we rotated toys last year. We gave each other different toys so each family had something "new" for their kids. That was great!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    As kids our parents struggled financially, too. We didn't expect expensive stuff and we were just happy to have something simple, but thoughtful. My mom always made sure to get a lot of little fun (but totally cheap dollar store style) stuff for stockings - even when we were older. It's not necessary to get your kids the latest and greatest for Christmas. But how depressing is it to get absolutely nothing? There's a crap ton of stuff for under $10 in stores everywhere! (Clothing, cosmetics, toys, etc.) It's hard to believe you couldn't plan ahead to make at least a modest holiday for your family - after all, we've known this was coming for months... Next year try saving up $2 each month so you don't have to have a nothing Christmas again. :brokenheart:

ETA: Glad for the update on getting some money from the ex. Maybe you could save some aside for next year, too, just to make sure you don't have to go through all this stress again! :flowerforyou:
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options

Thank you for your kind words, I was able to get them some things at the thrift store.

You're welcome. To be honest, it brakes my heart that you're going through this. I was unemployed for six years...(went to college during that time and work at a local stable. Wasn't much..)

However, please, I beg of you, do something to earn money for this time of year. I know you are hurting but if it's one thing I learned it's that you must, always, do that.

(Trying not to get you offended here.)

Is there a job in your future?
  • carryingon
    carryingon Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Have you ever sold your plasma? My ex used to do it when we needed a little extra. I personally can't due to a heart surgery I had, but I would if I could. They pay by weight. Local one is currently offering $50 a visit for the first 5 visits and you can go twice a week. If both of you go maybe you could get something for your kds and help save a life at the same time! Also contact your closest Catholic church and ask about their St. Vincent De paul Society. Explain the situation. :flowerforyou: I am a single mom of 4. I feel you pain.:heart: