carb/fat/protein ratio

Options
Hi guys, what's a suitable carb/fat/protein ratio for weight loss, bearing in mind I don't just want to "drop weight", I'm keen to maintain and possibly slightly build muscle and just lose fat/get leaner?
Thoughts?

Replies

• ILoveFroggies
    ILoveFroggies Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    How does 50% carbs, 20% protein, 30% fat sound?
    Is that too little protein?
  • ILoveFroggies
    Options
    Anyone? :)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,943 Member
    Options
    Anyone? :)

Yeah, that should be fine, especially if you include weight bearing exercise to the mix. Personally I like a little more protein. I normally consume around .8 to 1g/lb/lbm which for me is around 160g's and 20% would work out to around 140. Carbs and fat I ususally play around with. Lately I'm around 200g's of carbs.....I consume around 2800 calories, just for reference.
  • ILoveFroggies
    Options
    Thanks so much :) Would you say your protein % is closer to 23-24% then?
  • flechero
    flechero Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I'm keen to maintain and possibly slightly build muscle

I'd go with a more balanced approach like 40carb / 30 protein / 30 fats.

40/30/30 is a good general setting.
  • vsetter
    vsetter Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    To lose body fat, yet maintain what muscle I have --- I eat 50% protein/30% carbs/20% fat.

Once I am settled where I would like to be, I plan to go with a more balanced approach. Maybe 40/40/20 or 40/30/30.
  • kms1320
    kms1320 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    To lose body fat, yet maintain what muscle I have --- I eat 50% protein/30% carbs/20% fat.

Once I am settled where I would like to be, I plan to go with a more balanced approach. Maybe 40/40/20 or 40/30/30.

Yes, to maintain muscle, you should aim for 1g protein per lb bodyweight. For myself, it ends around 50%, and I was at 20% carbs, 30% fat since 100g carbs per day is kind of a magic number to keep your glycogen supplies up for daily activities, yet deplete them from exercise, forcing your body to convert fat for glycogen. If that isn't there, it WILL convert protein for it but it generally does that as a last resort. With my split, I ended up feeling a little too run down though after a hard day at work, so I moved it to a 45% protein 25% carb 30% fat split. I have more energy now through the day.
  • neanderthin
    Options

Yes, to maintain muscle, you should aim for 1g protein per lb bodyweight. For myself, it ends around 50%, and I was at 20% carbs, 30% fat since 100g carbs per day is kind of a magic number to keep your glycogen supplies up for daily activities, yet deplete them from exercise, forcing your body to convert fat for glycogen. If that isn't there, it WILL convert protein for it but it generally does that as a last resort. With my split, I ended up feeling a little too run down though after a hard day at work, so I moved it to a 45% protein 25% carb 30% fat split. I have more energy now through the day.
    I think you'll find fat doesn't convert to glycogen, it's protein that does that.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    How does 50% carbs, 20% protein, 30% fat sound?
    Is that too little protein?
    This is the macro split I try to follow, 20% protein is more than in enough
  • jayche
    Options
    I think you'll find fat doesn't convert to glycogen, it's protein that does that.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it's glucose (carbohydrate) that gets converted into glycogen and fat can be converted through a process called gluconeogenesis (major component in keto diets)? I'm not as familiar as I can be in the matter so feel free to reeducate me
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it's glucose (carbohydrate) that gets converted into glycogen and fat can be converted through a process called gluconeogenesis (major component in keto diets)? I'm not as familiar as I can be in the matter so feel free to reeducate me on the matter.
    Fat converted to actual glucose is minicule.......... amino acids are the main substrate for gluconeogenesis.
  • jayche
    Options
    Fat converted to actual glucose is minicule.......... amino acids are the main substrate for gluconeogenesis.
    Aren't amino acids found in protein?
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Aren't amino acids found in protein?
    Correct. :smile:
  • jayche
    Options
    I'd hate to detract from the thread so I'll continue through messages!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    The most common protein recommendations for people engaged in a strength training program and attempting to maintain positive nitrogen balance are 1g/lb. LBM or 1g/lb. BW (according to who you're listening to). 20% protein doesn't even come near accomplishing that for most people. 40/30/30 c/p/f puts me almost right at it, but I try to keep it even a bit higher than that.
  • jayche
    Options
    The most common protein recommendations for people engaged in a strength training program and attempting to maintain positive nitrogen balance are 1g/lb. LBM or 1g/lb. BW (according to who you're listening to). 20% protein doesn't even come near accomplishing that for most people. 40/30/30 c/p/f puts me almost right at it, but I try to keep it even a bit higher than that.
    On the contrary, 50/30/20 puts me right at 1g per pound of bodyweight (or something close, like .95). My caloric intake currently is above 3000 calories a day, so that could be why I can get away with a lower %. But even then I've had times where my protein intake was as low as (perhaps on some days even lower) 0.75 per lb of bodyweight and I had no significant changes in my strength/muscle gains.
  • Telugammayi87
    Telugammayi87 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Depends on the person... if I don't keep my carbs at around 20-30%, I won't lose weight... Just mess around and find out what works for you!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    depends on how you want to go about it. You can lose weight doing high carb/low fat and low carb/high fat. I'm the latter. 60%-70% fat/25% protein fill in the rest with carbs
  • betternowthanlater
    Options
    I guess it depends on the person and body type. But, my wonderful and very fit dietician put me at 50/30/20 (c/p/f). Try to get 3 times as much protein as fat. But one day of indulgence won't hurt, if you are consistent most of the time. Thanks @slomba.