Texas high school build $60 million football stadium.

Options
124»

Replies

• DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Any of you familiar with Allen? They can afford it. Super nice area.
    Actually, Allen is pretty damn sh!tty and desolate. It's a wanna be Plano. And Plano kinda sucks too. They all try to emulate Highland Park, and they're failing, miserably.

The Park Cities are the ritziest areas in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    I'd rather more of the money go to actual education than a football facility.
  • skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options
    I just don't think that much money should go into sports if they can't afford books. I have also noticed the school supply list for younger grades now includes copy paper and other items not included in previous years. If the schools can't afford books and basic supplies they shouldn't spend so much money on sports.
    But aren't the tax payers paying for the stadium and not the school district?

You missed the point.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I just don't think that much money should go into sports if they can't afford books. I have also noticed the school supply list for younger grades now includes copy paper and other items not included in previous years. If the schools can't afford books and basic supplies they shouldn't spend so much money on sports.
    But aren't the tax payers paying for the stadium and not the school district?[/quote]
    You missed the point.
    You said if the schools can't afford books and basic supplies, they shouldn't spend so much money on sports. So, I asked if the school districts actually paid for the stadium or the people. I thought my question was right on point.
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    @rilke....you make a good point. the problem is no one cares. i wish it wasn't this way. the education system in texas is one of the worst in the country.

Must be saying something, as public education in general in the US is pretty much shot.

I have my masters degree in education and I'm pretty sure I want out. Unless I can get a job in a decent private school.

All the teachers I know are looking into other careers. One just transferred to a different district out of fear. It is very rough where she was, in fact, two of her students were just involved in a murder. They have a great football team though. One of the security guards is quitting due to violence.

This is happening in Allen? Pretty sure it doesn't. I have several friends who work for the district.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    and lets be real...if you are in high school a cool football stadium is more enjoyable than a fine arts center.

I guess you were an athlete in high school. It really, really sucks for the kids on the fringes, the artistic kids, the computer geeks, etc. when their own interests continually get trampled, ignored, and funding slashed in favor of sports.

Im a HUGE football fan, but ^^ this ^^ is my sentiment exactly. Let's be real here. it's not a new stadium for the school. It's a new stadium for the FOOTBALL program and will be of benefit ONL:Y to the football program.

The idiots who voted this through probably don't understand or don't care less what happens to these high school football players once their senior year is over just as long as they have a shiny new stadium. My deepest sympathy to those idiots.
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Ah Texans and their football. :wink:

This doesn't surprise me in the state that wants to take Critical thinking out of the curriculum. :drinker:

:ohwell:
  • skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options
    But aren't the tax payers paying for the stadium and not the school district?
    You missed the point.
    You said if the schools can't afford books and basic supplies, they shouldn't spend so much money on sports. So, I asked if the school districts actually paid for the stadium or the people. I thought my question was right on point.
    [/quote]

The taxpayers pay for everything. Did you not know that?

Do you know what priorities are?

Find someone to explain it to you.
  • HauteHauteMami
    HauteHauteMami Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Actually, Allen is pretty damn sh!tty and desolate. It's a wanna be Plano. And Plano kinda sucks too. They all try to emulate Highland Park, and they're failing, miserably.

Collin County is one of Texas' wealthiest counties in Texas and Allen is a great place to live and raise a family . . . . As a Collin County resident I don't try to be Highland Park . . . My husband's family is old Highland Park money and he don't want to be Highland park either . . .People move to Collin County because they don't want to be in Dallas or any part of that county . . . I have several rental properties in Allen and I am happy to say that I was able to increase the rents around 25% because of the amazing school district . . . Being a real estate investor with properties in Uptown, Oaklawn, Knox-Henderson as well as Collin County . . . Allen has brought me the most success of any of the properties I own . . .
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    The taxpayers pay for everything. Did you not know that? Do you know what priorities are? Find someone to explain it to you.
    Yes, that was my point. The school district didn't pay for it. I know whay MY priorities are. My priorities are to raise my children in Catholic schools and then have them go on to college. That doesn't mean those should be everyone's priorities. Athletic programs keep many kids in school; that was my point. I never said "athletics is more important than academics".
  • RedneckWmn
    Options

Collin County is one of Texas' wealthiest counties in Texas and Allen is a great place to live and raise a family . . . . As a Collin County resident I don't try to be Highland Park . . . My husband's family is old Highland Park money and he don't want to be Highland park either . . .People move to Collin County because they don't want to be in Dallas or any part of that county . . . I have several rental properties in Allen and I am happy to say that I was able to increase the rents around 25% because of the amazing school district . . . Being a real estate investor with properties in Uptown, Oaklawn, Knox-Henderson as well as Collin County . . . Allen has brought me the most success of any of the properties I own . . .

Well said!! It's growing, in a good way.
  • coachblt
    coachblt Posts: 1,090
    Options
    Im a HUGE football fan, but ^^ this ^^ is my sentiment exactly. Let's be real here. it's not a new stadium for the school. It's a new stadium for the FOOTBALL program and will be of benefit ONLY to the football program.

Actually, that's not true. The money generated from ticket sales, venues and other revenue go into the general fund, not the football program. Concession sales go to the booster clubs or other organizations that are running them. The football program sales go to the athletic fund, since many sports can and do purchase ads. Teams use that particular money to pay for meals and immediate needs, whatever they may be. Since Allen makes the playoffs in many sports, the funds from program sales could be used for out of town accommodations as needed.

Many people have no idea how much of a school budget is directed to an athletic department. In some schools, their allotment of the budget is upwards of 4%. In others, the budget is roughly around 1.5%.

Besides, let's not fool ourselves into believing that any money will "fix" the educational system. The system has been flawed since the state decided to do away with trade schools...possibly even before that. This 4x4 system that was set in place just doesn't help matters. It's a great idea, but let's face it...not every child needs to have 4 years of math, for example, when they could be in trade schools learning a life-long skill that will educate them for a career directly out of high school.

Back to the stadium idea. The school district hired people to determine how much revenue could be generated by building this stadium. They had to determine how long until the stadium will be in need of repair and how much will be generated through rentals and ticket sales. There's a lot more involved but you get the idea.

The school district built the stadium for the community because that's what they want/voted for. It's their money, so they could have voted it down.
  • RedneckWmn
    Options
    Allen Eagles won state in this new amazing stadium!! They are an amazing football team! :heart:
  • sylviatx
    sylviatx Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    We here in Texas rank 50th out of 50 states in spending on Mental Health.
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    All I can say is I hope all those football players will make great Dr's, surgeons, lawyers, etc...because that is surely what education is supposed to be about?