• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Curlbro checking in
    100x5
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    My last heavy upper body day I curled 45 lbs for reps, narrow grip.
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Was never meant to be a compound vs. isolation workout argument. Again I bench press, dip, squat, dead lift, military press, power clean and press, and chin ups. I am am just stating on days I work my back/ biceps I throw in some curls, what is wrong with that XD Because it sure as hell is working for me
  • I like compound AND isolation exercises...good for balance IMO...

I currently curl the 60 lb barbell--usually do 4 sets of 10

(oops, I'm a chick in a boy thread...my bad) :happy:
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Was never meant to be a compound vs. isolation workout argument. Again I bench press, dip, squat, dead lift, military press, power clean and press, and chin ups. I am am just stating on days I work my back/ biceps I throw in some curls, what is wrong with that XD Because it sure as hell working for me

Not a thing wrong with it...when I was recovering from my lower right biceps tendon reattachment, I did curls on a machine, and later with dumbbells in order to stress the tendon in a controlled fashion and promote faster repair. Most well known exercises have their place in one routine or another...or they wouldn't be well known.

I'm still curious what motion you guys believe the biceps controls though.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I curl in the squat rack.
    Beefy!
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Options

You've asked this twice now. Are you baiting or do you sincerely not know?
  • crisanderson27
    Options

You've asked this twice now. Are you baiting or do you sincerely not know?

I wouldn't call it baiting, more promoting discussion. I've already said curls have their place, just not for me at this time.

And believe me, after my last year, I know very, very well what biceps actually do, lol.
  • StrongerThanThor
    StrongerThanThor Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    125x6-8
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I don't do isolation exercises of any kind, only compound.

this is seeming to be the trend, well how often do you lift?

3 days a week. The simple matter of fact is that isolation exercise are not in any way applicable to my goals.
  • BackTatJIM
    Options
    Completely understand this. If I was lifting 3 days a week I would barley be doing any isolation exercises, but fact is I have nothing better to do so find my self at the gym 5 days a week so find myself working different body parts everyday.
  • RedHotHunter
    RedHotHunter Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I curled today. I still have a weak grip and wrists. So I prefer that crooked bar instead of straight. It helps me get my bicep work in without my forearms screaming at me. 40 lbs, 4 sets. Does this get me in with the cool crowd at all?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I do bicep curls sometimes. Rarely with a barbell. 65 lbs for a set of 12 last time I did. I usually go for hammer curls. I do chin ups and pull ups, so my biceps do get worked.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Completely understand this. If I was lifting 3 days a week I would barley be doing any isolation exercises, but fact is I have nothing better to do so find my self at the gym 5 days a week so find myself working different body parts everyday.

I could go 5 days a week but I just don't see the point given my goals. They're entirely functional in nature. An any exercise that doesn't feature either balance-intensive work or heavy core integration just isn't for me.
  • crisanderson27
    Options

I could go 5 days a week but I just don't see the point given my goals. They're entirely functional in nature. An any exercise that doesn't feature either balance-intensive work or heavy core integration just isn't for me.

Definitely.

Aside from this point...youtube MartIn Berkhan. That boy has stupid huge arms for his size...curl free.
  • nosillanosilla
    Options
    I'm at 40 for 12
  • Completely understand this. If I was lifting 3 days a week I would barley be doing any isolation exercises, but fact is I have nothing better to do so find my self at the gym 5 days a week so find myself working different body parts everyday.

Again, I realize I'm a chick in a boy thread, but let me just say this....you will never win this argument on here, my friend. On MFP, if you want to be one of the "cool kids", you can't do anything but Squat, Bench, Pullups, Deadlifts, repeat....

Just do your thing and don't worry about what everyone else says ...ok, I'm done. Peace out!! Merry Christmas boys :smokin:
  • BackTatJIM
    Options

Definitely.

Aside from this point...youtube MartIn Berkhan. That boy has stupid huge arms for his size...curl free.

Yeah bro I get it you don't curl, maybe this thread is not for you. I never asked why bicep curls are not necessary, I was only asking for some numbers.
  • BackTatJIM
    Options

Again, I realize I'm a chick in a boy thread, but let me just say this....you will never win this argument on here, my friend. On MFP, if you want to be one of the "cool kids", you can't do anything but Squat, Bench, Pullups, Deadlifts, repeat....

Just do your thing and don't worry about what everyone else says ...ok, I'm done. Peace out!! Merry Christmas boys :smokin:

Ill never be a cool kid =( ... merry xmas!
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Options

That sucks..I really thought I was one of the cool ones-Bummer! LOL

Damn isolation work!