What happened to the Bicep curl???

Options

Replies

• BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Correct! Pronation and supination...basically twisting your wrist lol. Very little of the force your biceps exerts is used for curling...and if you force more than its designed for...you'll rip it right off your forearm.

I know this because I curled a 400lb motorcycle and blew my right lower biceps tendon. No fun :).

Anyhow I just want to clarify...I'm not bashing curls, I just don't do them. My pro-compound lift commentary was more in response to those implying the only way to get big biceps is to curl :).

Merry Christmas!

Merry Xmas!
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I'm a special snowflake when it comes to upper body compound movements, so I do mostly isolation for arms, delts and traps because I am medically limited when it comes to engaging my pecs. I might displace something, and I really don't want any more surgeries. I still do dead lifts and squats, but I tend to have more ease of movement and ability to stay in form with the one-legged Bulgarian split squats and dumb bell dead lifts. Anything that displaces my pecs too much is not so great for me. But hey, I also use the machines and not just free weights because of my limitations.

I use dumbbells to curl, only about 15-20 pounds. But that doesn't really help a guy.
  • BackTatJIM
    Options
    I'm a special snowflake when it comes to upper body compound movements, so I do mostly isolation for arms, delts and traps because I am medically limited when it comes to engaging my pecs. I might displace something, and I really don't want any more surgeries. I still do dead lifts and squats, but I tend to have more ease of movement and ability to stay in form with the one-legged Bulgarian split squats and dumb bell dead lifts. Anything that displaces my pecs too much is not so great for me. But hey, I also use the machines and not just free weights because of my limitations.

I use dumbbells to curl, only about 15-20 pounds. But that doesn't really help a guy.

20 lb db curls .. you go with your bad self ! keep it up
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    20kg (44lbs) for around 6 reps.

ETA: I do mostly compound exercises as for my goals (powerlifting) they are best. However, I do a few isolations for the muscle too, and they do help in the bigger lifts :) I don't want "big" arms though as you mentioned.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Correct! Pronation and supination...basically twisting your wrist lol. Very little of the force your biceps exerts is used for curling...and if you force more than its designed for...you'll rip it right off your forearm.

The isolated function of the bicep is Elbow Flexion. What is a curl? - Elbow Flexion.

I can't believe this thread has turned into a Compound Lifts vs Curling thread (wait, this is MFP, nevermind...) My workouts are pretty much 75% Compounds 25% Isolation work. I truthfully enjoy isolation work more than compounds (with the exception of Deadlifts).

Anyway...Happy Holidays to you and the rest of you guys/gals of MFP!
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    In the end the Bicep isn't THAT big a muscle. So squats and deadlifts that work large and multiple muscles are overall better for you. Not saying necessarily that an isolation exercise is bad at all.
  • omnisis
    omnisis Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Bicep is mostly an aesthetic muscle -- very small compared to legs, back, chest, etc. If you want "big arms" you'd actually be better off doing tricep work since generally it's bigger than the biceps. That being said, I love the look of a large biceps peak and I don't have good biceps genetics and have never really been able to achieve it. With the standard BB biceps curl it's easy to do an impressive amount of weight by adding a varying amount of "cheat" to the excercise. I can curl 90lbs + the bar with crappy form or 65 lbs with perfect form so I'm not sure what saying "I can curl 90lbs" buys me. Much harder to do with Squat, Deadlift, BB bench press etc.
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    50lbs right now
  • carlom18
    carlom18 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I do 1 bicep isolation exercise each week. 55lbs at 4 sets of 8 reps are my best, with last reps on last set being hard to complete. Not really interested in bicep isolation but i do add it in to my 3 - 4 day per week gym routine (currently 3) just to give balance. The rest can be done through my compounds lol.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mdi8avn3KZ1rii2g0o1_500.jpg
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I always see people post there 1RM for Squats, Dead lifts, and Bench press. But what is everyone curling with a straight bar? I don't want to know a 1RM I mean what are you curling for at least 6 reps???? ( without swinging your back and looking like a a**hole!)

I can't bicep curl with straight bar. Hurts my wrists too much. Db's are much easier for me and offer a more natural range of motion.

But with that said, what you bicep curl doesn't really matter. That's why no one talks about it. You want to measure overall strength and muscle, use the big three lifts to gauge your progress.
  • BackTatJIM
    Options
    I always see people post there 1RM for Squats, Dead lifts, and Bench press. But what is everyone curling with a straight bar? I don't want to know a 1RM I mean what are you curling for at least 6 reps???? ( without swinging your back and looking like a a**hole!)

I can't bicep curl with straight bar. Hurts my wrists too much. Db's are much easier for me and offer a more natural range of motion.

But with that said, what you bicep curl doesn't really matter. That's why no one talks about it. You want to measure overall strength and muscle, use the big three lifts to gauge your progress.

I was under the impression chin ups where a much better way to gauge upper body strength
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I wasn't, but now I know I must.

...use the word "Bro" that is.

Bicep curls I do not do because it pinches a nerve I have to do them. I feel pull ups and other exercises get that muscle enough for me.

...bro.

So glad you shared this great information with me BRUH!

Bras pick up heavy things.
  • kms1320
    kms1320 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I do curls.. for the girls!

35lb standing dumbbell curls, with the twist. 8-12 reps, 3 sets.
  • Nirlbou
    Nirlbou Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    100 is biggest my gym has to offer with out switching to the squat rack(even though we have 3, i refuse to do)or use the w bars. Which I do120's on Tri day for some muscle condition but not really to focus on bi's, I use dumbbells for bis with pull ups
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I wasn't, but now I know I must.

...use the word "Bro" that is.

Bicep curls I do not do because it pinches a nerve I have to do them. I feel pull ups and other exercises get that muscle enough for me.

...bro.

So glad you shared this great information with me BRUH!

Bras pick up heavy things.

(I can't believe no one has given the obligatory response to this...and on a thread dedicated to bicep curls, no less. Maybe everyone is distracted by it being Christmas. I don't normally cover this one, but will just this once...)

Oh yeah? How you doin'?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I don't always do curls but when I do, Ido them in the squat rack! :tongue:
  • rovernio
    rovernio Posts: 157
    Options
    bicep curls are a waste of time
  • rovernio
    rovernio Posts: 157
    Options